Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm no Hydrologist [Tap vs Distilled]
RE: I'm no Hydrologist [Tap vs Distilled]
I forgot to add our water here is also heavy with lime. In fact a friend here in town sent a sample off to a lab to get tested for setting up a water softener in his house. The test came back as hardness at the top of the scale. Oh well guess that what you get when you live in the  Shenandoah Valley. And yes this is water from the city supply.
Post Reply Post Reply
A Zero-Water pitcher can produce enough water to provide both drinking and deposit-free CPAP water. If your water is rank with chlorine, amine, sulfates and or full of dissolved solids, I highly recommend it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just came back from a trip in Maine where the tap water tastes great, was not chloriny, however it did leave white deposits in the water chamber which was easily cleaned with a white vinegar solution when I got back home. When I have the time and think about it I will pick up a jug of distilled water when traveling. But I don't worry too much if I need to use tap water. It is annoying when there is a heavy chlorine smell. So, I think of it this way; Tap water- generally good (does vary by location), filtered water; better. Distilled water; best.

Distilled water just takes out any potential issues out of the equation. Although this is not a big deal if you actually clean your tank, hose and mask on occasion.
Post Reply Post Reply
We both use bottled water we get delivered or out of the built in filter on the fridge. Been drinking bottled water since I came back from the desert in 91 and couldn't stand the taste of the local water after drinking bottled water for so long. BTW, our cats get the bottled water/filtered also (unless the drink direct from the tap). I can tell the difference when I get lazy and don't walk to the kitchen to refill and use tap water.  However, with the new machine I will try to limit the use of tap water unless I really have to use it. 

Over the years never really saw a buildup with regular water. When I did see it, a little vinegar in the water and let it sit over night, then through it in my dishwasher. While it was there, I used my other tank. Worked like a champ.

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it matters where you live and how good your tap water is. One day shouldn't be a problem. Here is the latest negative article about tap water being used with netipot. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/07/health/se...index.html
Post Reply Post Reply
Fortunately, we can't acquire diseases cause by pathogens from water vapour.  So, tap water is still fine, even with thingies in it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used Aquafina- a pepsico bottled water for the last 3 years. No deposits ever.

This water is a < 4ppm TDS water so pretty close to distilled. And it’s available in lots of places.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2018, 09:06 PM)macheta Wrote: I think it matters where you live and how good your tap water is. One day shouldn't be a problem. Here is the latest negative article about tap water being used with netipot. 

As a microbiologist I have worked with and am very familiar with the "brain eating amoeba". Infections are extremely rare and require injection of a large volume of water into the nasal passages. Unlike with the use of neti pots, this does not occur in the case of CPAP humidification. Most infections result from swimming in fresh water lakes. There is no risk of acquiring this infection from using tap water in a CPAP humidifier.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2018, 03:42 PM)Melman Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 09:06 PM)macheta Wrote: I think it matters where you live and how good your tap water is. One day shouldn't be a problem. Here is the latest negative article about tap water being used with netipot. 

As a microbiologist I have worked with and am very familiar with the "brain eating amoeba". Infections are extremely rare and require injection of a large volume of water into the nasal passages. Unlike with the use of neti pots, this does not occur in the case of CPAP humidification. Most infections result from swimming in fresh water lakes. There is no risk of acquiring this infection from using tap water in a CPAP humidifier.

Thanks for posting up what I was thinking. I'm not qualified to make that kind of statement, and I appreciate that you are and that you did.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
i believe the user manuals in other parts of the world (ie. not north america) don't even specify distilled water, because it's not a thing in some countries.

the only thing that could be worrisome (assuming you have clean standards for your city's drinking water) is the calcium deposits. which can be easily dealt with via vinegar.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] ResMed A10 small particles in distilled water in humidifier tank GuitarRebel 24 5,067 08-29-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  New User: change distilled water daily? rebean 18 1,709 06-26-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: ppca
  Distilled vs. purified water Rcgop 21 2,146 10-29-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  Distilled water vs demineralised water BHappy 44 17,044 04-29-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Distilled Water mogulman 24 2,484 04-03-2022, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare ,cpap and distilled water for humidifier car54 40 6,644 02-03-2022, 02:11 PM
Last Post: LindanHotAir
  [Health] Distilled water storage Kafka82 14 1,638 02-02-2022, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.