Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm slipping away...........
I'm slipping away...........
I haven't used my CPAP now for almost two weeks. As the weather warms up, I tend to forgo the therapy. I'm sleeping just fine at night w/o it. 

I have a sleep doctor appt. the 19th of this month. On my last appt. 6 months ago, he knew that I was getting really frustrated with CPAP and not seeing any positive results. 

I know that there's no way that I'm going to be on CPAP for the rest of my life. It just ain't gonna happen. So......that being the case, I guess it's just a matter of when I'm going to call it a day and quit it entirely. 

My AHI #'s are fine, I don't have any issues with my mask, other than some middle of the night re-positioning, and some other very minor issues. I've done fine by it since my 1st night of use, back on Sept. 11th, 2018. Earlier on, I could sleep the full night with it. As time has progressed, the use time grew progressively shorter. Now I aim for 4-6 hrs. of use when I do gear up. 

Not sure what the doc will say or respond. I'm just going to lay it ll out for him, be honest in my evaluations, and tell it like it is. 

I have a ton of extra gear that keeps arriving on schedule. Anyways, I'm going to see if my doc is worth a grain of salt or not. 

I have mixed emotions about all of this, but the driving force is lack of feeling any better.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm slipping away...........
Good luck! As someone famous once said (sorta), You'll be back!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Would that have been Arnold?  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably a Terminator thing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With myself giving up is what made me realized it helped. If you have already pretty much given up and not noticed worsening symptoms it would really having me questioning the validity of apnea diagnosis especially if diagnosis was only made by a home sleep study.

My home sleep study that diagnosed me was incorrect, 100%. I still find I sleep better with PAP though, I believe mostly due to increased humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a two night, in-lab, sleep study done. I sleep as well w/o gearing up as I do gearing up. Actually, better w/o the gear. I don't experience most of the problems or issues that some on here do. 

W/o the gear, I sleep just fine. I still get up a couple of times during the night though to make a bathroom trip. I don't experience any headaches, waking up gulping for air, no dizziness, no cloudy head, no nothing. 

I'm well aware that some take longer than others to respond to the therapy. But, just how long should one wait until they come to realize nothing positive is happening?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2021, 10:55 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I don't experience any headaches, waking up gulping for air, no dizziness, no cloudy head, no nothing.

Sure... What does your machine tell you is going on when you are asleep and don't know what's going on because, well, you are asleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh so long ago... I'm curious what your original in-lab sleep study showed for your AHI that warranted PAP therapy. And were there any other apnea-related symptoms that resolved with therapy?
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2021, 10:55 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I had a two night, in-lab, sleep study done. I sleep as well w/o gearing up as I do gearing up. Actually, better w/o the gear. I don't experience most of the problems or issues that some on here do. 

W/o the gear, I sleep just fine. I still get up a couple of times during the night though to make a bathroom trip. I don't experience any headaches, waking up gulping for air, no dizziness, no cloudy head, no nothing. 

I'm well aware that some take longer than others to respond to the therapy. But, just how long should one wait until they come to realize nothing positive is happening?

Sounds like your health/sleep issues whatever they may be aren't obviously tied to SDB or if they are then PAP treatment doesn't help resolve them. The question is why are you even on PAP? An initial home study that indicated it? Just was hoping SDB/apnea was the issue and PAP would help resolve it?

If there are no clinical symptoms and studies don't support its use and you notice no negative side effects sleeping without PAP then I would just quit. PAP is a disruptive process if not required and doing what you are currently doing (sporadic use) is probably the worst thing you can do since you aren't allowing your body to adapt one way or the other. Pick a path and stick with it unless indications to change paths are obvious.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was referring to more-or-less, those that do have complaints like some that I listed. It sounds like some have such bad issues, it wakes them up from a dead sleep. 

As I've mentioned in the past, the whole CPAP experience hasn't been tough on me. From the very 1st night, I adapted quickly and well, as far as I know. I don't pull my mask off at night. I don't get in the middle of the night and forget to hook the hose back up to my mask. I'm not claustrophobic. I seem to be getting plenty of air pressure. 

All in all, and all things considered, the therapy is going along. I'm just not feeling any positive results from it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 299 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  F & P Vitera mask slipping into mouth 2007User 1 589 10-28-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Mask Slipping Problem chd3143 6 5,353 08-28-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Dramagal27
  Quartro fx slipping Deweym 2 1,404 12-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Shastzi
  Velcro on mask straps slipping off jscholz 10 9,976 06-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Last Post: eviltim
Angry [CPAP] Quattro FX Mask Keeps Slipping Upwards pdrunk 8 3,941 02-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Last Post: marxxx

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.