Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm slipping away...........
RE: I'm slipping away...........
How you can wake rested with an AHI of 70 is beyond me. I read that 30 is considered extreme. If you can sleep with that, go for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that we can all agree, that as we age, things in general get worse. I turn 67 in October. I simply cannot expect to feel as good when I was 37. 

I woke up last night to make a trip to the restroom. The side of my right foot was hurting for no reason what-so-ever. I went to bed and it was fine. It's still a bit sore right now. In a couple of hours, it should be fine. 

I did use my CPAP last night. My AHI was 1.7 and I got in 6.5 hrs. of use. It was cooler out last night, so that helped to make things more comfortable. When it's still warm out at night, it takes a while for my body to cool down, and wearing a mask doesn't help matters any. 

The issue I'm trying to wrap my head around is not wanting to be on CPAP the rest of my life. That's not an appealing thought. And, if I'm feeling that way, continuing with CPAP just doesn't make a whole lot of sense at this point. 

As I grow older, I'm going to be less energetic, will tend to have more aches & pains, will have good days and plenty of bad days, and so on. That's just a fact of life for the vast majority of us all. 

I'm going to continue to use CPAP up to the day of my upcoming sleep doc appt. on the 19th.
Post Reply Post Reply
The thing is very simple. Either treat the Apnea with CPAP or don't. Apnea in the severe category just doesn't go away. Either way is ultimately your choice. But with the choice comes responsibility. Keep treating the Apnea to be more healthy or stop treatment and maybe other health issues crop up.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your AHI was 70 and is reduced to 5 on PAP it is hard to believe you aren't getting noticeable improvement on PAP. Either your tests weren't accurate or something should be obviously wrong with results still.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that's what I'm not understanding. The very 1st night of CPAP use, my AHI was 5.7 I think. The 2nd night, it dropped down to below 5 and very rarely does it ever go over that since. My AHI usually hovers around 2 or so. Maybe 3 @ most. 

Been on CPAP since Sept. 11, 2018, and I can count on a few fingers my AHI being over 5. I don't struggle with my mask, and I sleep well enough while all geared up. It's going as well as I can imagine. I'm using an AirFit F30 and it does a very good job. Much better than the F20 I was using. 

This is why I'm suspicious of my CPAP. I'm kind of curious as to the numbers of people sent to a sleep lab for testing, and how many are actually told there's no problem and they don't need therapy? You don't make money if you turn people away.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
Your in lab sleep studies should have been accurate unlike the home sleep studies which can be far more questionable.

If you are having 70 ahi on nights you don't use CPAP and under 5 on the nights you do then you should be feeling far more tired when not using CPAP. Something just doesn't add up.

Do you have your sleep study reports? I would be curious to see them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do, I'll just have to look around and see if I can find them. If I don't by the time I go in for my appt., I'll ask for copies.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW my diagnostic in spring 2017 was AHI 78 or near that. For the 2 years ASV therapy was on track, OSCAR data had my treated numbers at between 0-3. So treated numbers like yours can and do happen.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's good to know! I'm just wanting to get a handle on all of this, so I have an idea as to what I'm going to do. I don't want to spend a couple more years of therapy, if it isn't going to produce better results than what it has so far.  Dont-know

But, I want to make this perfectly clear! This forum and all of it's fine members has been an incredibly good source of outstanding information and exemplary support. 

I would have been lost w/o you all.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Big Guy, my first response was not all that helpful, albeit true. I'm a year older than you and have many of the same challenges, and I'd be surprised if I'm not an even bigger guy than you. You used to jump from aircraft, and I used to ski cliff-lines and cirques, "used to" being key here. We both ride motorcycles and I assume we now do so with maturity respectful of our mortal awareness as compared to when things actually healed. All that to gain some credibility for what I want to say, and that is, I don't always sleep great at night. I awoke last night just before 4:00 AM and I wasn't ready to get up, and I wasn't going back to sleep. It wasn't the fault of CPAP, but it could have been. So could the fact I stepped on a big yellow wasp the other morning and for the first time in my life didn't just shrug it off, and broke out in hives, flushing, big-time swelling and soreness that numbed my foot and traveled up my Tibia. I actually headed to a hospital 28 miles away, just in case, but by the time I got there, the hives started diminishing, and I no longer felt in mortal danger. So I went to the paint store and Wine and Spriits store instead,came back to the cottage and painted my boat with a toxic (isocyanates) 2-part polyurethane, visited with family and rode my bike and made a dinner of steak and potatoes with a nice bottle of wine, leading up to the night I got so little sleep.

Like you, my life goes on in spite of setbacks. unlike you, I'm not looking for my PAP therapy to solve any of my health, sleeping, social or other problems, and I know there are going to be good and bad days no mater how good therapy was, or if it was full of leaks and events. Mostly PAP therapy is pretty good for me, but I still wake up way too often now and can't get back to sleep. It's easy to get over because I'm retired and the only person pressuring me to get something done is me. I think it would help you to accept, there will be good days and nights, and some that don't meet your expectations. I also don't think you should heap the blame for that on your CPAP machine, or have unrealistic expectations that it is going to change your life. I don't consider CPAP an option, and I don't have any expectations it will make me happier, healthier or stop me from continuing to experience age-related decline, but it probably does. Did you really think blowing air up your nose was going to make you a new younger man? I't probably enough that it keeps you from getting too old too soon. Thanks for reading, probably too many paint fumes today in spite of the respirator.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 299 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  F & P Vitera mask slipping into mouth 2007User 1 589 10-28-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Mask Slipping Problem chd3143 6 5,353 08-28-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Dramagal27
  Quartro fx slipping Deweym 2 1,404 12-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Shastzi
  Velcro on mask straps slipping off jscholz 10 9,979 06-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Last Post: eviltim
Angry [CPAP] Quattro FX Mask Keeps Slipping Upwards pdrunk 8 3,941 02-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Last Post: marxxx

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.