Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm slipping away...........
RE: I'm slipping away...........
Big Guy as archer stated you need a recording oximeter because it is the nighttime readings that are important. It is not abnormal to see a slight decrease in overnight sats, but if they dip and linger . . . . . .

That is a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Duly noted and thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used the Contec 50F about 6 months ago and it was doing a good job. There's an app you can get, and I've had OSCAR pull in SpO2 data to insert on the chart. Mine seemed to have been a slightly older than new/current version.

PS mine went AWOL when I moved in January.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2021, 08:35 AM)Gideon Wrote: Big Guy as archer stated you need a recording oximeter because it is the nighttime readings that are important.  It is not abnormal to see a slight decrease in overnight sats, but if they dip and linger . . . . . .

That is a problem.

As promised, just one example of many in my files.  Note that if I had taken my SpO2 readings at bedtime and when I woke up in the morning, I would think everything was fine.  But I really spent almost 20 minutes below 90% saturation, which is kinda not a good thing (but significantly better than where I started!).  Unsure

This is the Wellue O2 ring which seems to provide a fairly consistent reading every night.  The data matches up with my Oscar events, too, so I can see the correlation between events and O2 drops.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much ArcherNeedsSleep!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to add to this... my apnea is totally uncontrolled right now (80+ centrals/hr, diagnosis of severe central sleep apnea, STILL fighting to get my damn doctor to get back to me about moving to ASV) but even so, APAP *is* helping me by at least reducing my events by about half. That's still way too many, and my biggest issue is massive desats.

Even with my APAP, my average oxygen sats when asleep are under 88%, almost always. Certainly under 90-91%. That said, the other day. I was taking a quick post-lunch food-coma nap and I just put the pulse ox on before I fell asleep. I spent all but about 7 minutes of that time with my sats below 90%. I spent most of it between 75-85%. The lowest I recorded during that nap was ~60% but I've gone lower (which is genuinely terrifying).

I still feel garbage every day (unsurprisingly) but even so, that small reduction does make a difference. It means I can wake up in less than 2 hours of confusion and drowsiness, and some of the time, I can get away without a 2-3 hour nap. And my migraines are dramatically reduced.

So yeah, even if your AHIs are low, if your sats are still bad, you're still going to feel cruddy... and even if you don't have "typical" signs of SA, my doctor said that it's important to stay on the PAP even if you don't feel better, because of the risks of not treating apnea that severe, in regards to your cardiovascular health especially. And if your sats ARE still low despite the low AHI on PAP you need to figure that out and ask the doctors to explore that, too.

That said, good luck in whatever you decide and good luck at your appointment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. Ratchick I haven't followed your posts.

Have you asked for help? Have you reviewed your AirSense 10 Autoset settings here?

I have the same machine. The results weren't good until I posted OSCAR sheets and asked for help.

I've done cpap for over 30 years. Using cpap for almost all that time I think I can remember feeling noticeably better after cpap about 5 times.

Since I got my apap, and since I changed settings following recommendations here, I think I've added about 20 wonderful days to those 5...what a wonderful change.

I hope this helps. My thought...if I have to wear all this stuff it had better work.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dave - thanks for your concerns, I appreciate it. 

The problem is that APAP isn't going to fix central sleep apnea. I need a different kind of machine called ASV that basically acts like CPAP/APAP for the few obstructive events I have (though most of those are when I am awake, by my research) but has the ability to control the central apneas and also, provide a forced breath when I DO suffer one.  Until that happens, nothing much is going to help (and yes, I have posted, and a couple of people did give me a couple of suggestions, but there's a limit to what they can do with an APAP machine). 

I just have to fight the system to get the doctor to agree and arrange funding, if possible because I don't easily have the money to buy my own ASV outright, and I would still need a prescription, either way. And in this day and age, that's taking a lot of time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for your replies. I read each & every one of them. Been doing a whole lot of thinking, and no matter how my appt. goes, I'm gonna stick to the therapy, thanks in part to all of you.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Incredible Big Guy!

I know seeing your posts helps me a lot.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 303 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  F & P Vitera mask slipping into mouth 2007User 1 589 10-28-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Mask Slipping Problem chd3143 6 5,354 08-28-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Dramagal27
  Quartro fx slipping Deweym 2 1,404 12-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Shastzi
  Velcro on mask straps slipping off jscholz 10 9,983 06-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Last Post: eviltim
Angry [CPAP] Quattro FX Mask Keeps Slipping Upwards pdrunk 8 3,953 02-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Last Post: marxxx

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.