Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

Sex: Male

Ohmy I'm so TIRED
One thing I'm noting from my initial experiences with the Resmed S9 Escape is that - it tells me how long I've been sleeping. 6, 7, 9 hours.
A full night's rest I suppose but I awake still VERY tired. Is this an indication that the pressure is wrong? I have no recollection of whether or not I stopped breathing and it seems my current machine won't tell me that.
11-09-2012 09:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
2Tim215 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 ResMed AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX Nasal Pillow - Medium
Humidifier: ResMed H5i w/Climate Hose
CPAP Pressure: 6cm-12cm

Other Comments: OSA, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Gout, PTSD, & Meralgia paresthetica.

RE: I'm so TIRED
(11-09-2012 09:19 PM)Ugly Wrote:  One thing I'm noting from my initial experiences with the Resmed S9 Escape is that - it tells me how long I've been sleeping. 6, 7, 9 hours.
A full night's rest I suppose but I awake still VERY tired. Is this an indication that the pressure is wrong? I have no recollection of whether or not I stopped breathing and it seems my current machine won't tell me that.

I too wake VERY tired and end up sleeping for sometimes 2-6 more hours! One thing I learned about the Escape is that we are receiving the set pressure even when not needed or having an event! This seems like a reason where this type machine may eventually be eliminated for AutoPaps. The ResMed web-site acknowledges that this is basically an issue. Recently a DME shared that most people they see with new prescriptions are given AutoPaps instead of straight CPAP's.
As far as trying to help with you being tired, is your EPR turned on? Mine wasn't until recently when someone shared it was a setting the patient can change. This on will make it easier to exhale against the incoming 8cm of pressure. Hope this helps and someone can share how to turn it on, I don't recall the steps right now but it wasn't difficult.

Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
11-09-2012 09:33 PM
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

(11-09-2012 09:33 PM)2Tim215 Wrote:  I too wake VERY tired and end up sleeping for sometimes 2-6 more hours! One thing I learned about the Escape is that we are receiving the set pressure even when not needed or having an event! This seems like a reason where this type machine may eventually be eliminated for AutoPaps.

That's what I have settled for during the last 14 years. My Tranquility Quest was at a set pressure and it blew constantly. An honest to goodness CPAP in the literal sense.

Quote: The ResMed web-site acknowledges that this is basically an issue. Recently a DME shared that most people they see with new prescriptions are given AutoPaps instead of straight CPAP's.
As far as trying to help with you being tired, is your EPR turned on?

Yes I turned it on. It's possible I should fiddle with the parameters a little but it's on. Okay the clinician manual says I can have it "off" or set it to 1 2 or 3. I think I have it set to "1" right now. I can bump it up to "2" for tonight. I printed it out and added it to my binder for ready reference.

Quote: Mine wasn't until recently when someone shared it was a setting the patient can change. This on will make it easier to exhale against the incoming 8cm of pressure. Hope this helps and someone can share how to turn it on, I don't recall the steps right now but it wasn't difficult.

I'll have to check it out. Because of my limited memory (my health issues go way beyond sleep apnea) I had to print it all out since I can't retain such information in my mind. EPR is also selectable as "off", "ramp only" or "full time" the last one is my setting.
But as I said, having this option is extremely new to me since my old machine blew out a constant wind stream with no variation from the time I turned it on until I shut it off. Then.... my appointment with my GP isn't until early December and I have to talk to HIM before I talk to my Otolaryngologist.
11-09-2012 10:06 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

What the EPR numbers mean is the pressure drop on exhale. So if your pressure is 8 and you have EPR set to 1, you inhale 8 and exhale against 7.

I turned mine off for about two weeks a few months ago. Didn't notice that much of a difference except my ears clogged as soon as I turned it on each night for the first 3 or so days then stopped doing it. When I turned the EPR back on, I put it to 2. No problems with the ears but I have noticed I fell asleep better.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-09-2012 10:11 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

Some new PAPers are tired, no matter what kind of machine they have, and no matter how good their AHI.

Speculation on the CPAP forum varies from "sleep debt" to "withdrawal" from hypoxia, sleep deprivation, stress hormones, adrenaline, etc. Poor sleep is also another possibility.

As unpleasant as it is, it's probably actually a good sign that something's working.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
11-09-2012 10:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi Ugly,
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time of things right now. I know this is so discourageing for you but I just encourage you to stick with it. You might turn your EPR up to 2 and see if that helps you.

Best of luck to you and don't give up.

trish6hundred
11-10-2012 12:27 AM
2Tim215 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 ResMed AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX Nasal Pillow - Medium
Humidifier: ResMed H5i w/Climate Hose
CPAP Pressure: 6cm-12cm

Other Comments: OSA, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Gout, PTSD, & Meralgia paresthetica.

My memory isn't like it used to be either! I think it was Paula who suggested in another thread to set it at 2 and I did. It did help some for me, better than pushing back the incoming pressure for sure! I still have severe oversleeping, by the way, good morning! Eastern Standard Time! I am working hard on moving up to an S9 AutoSet as my insurance will only allow one machine per 5 year period. It has been approx. 23 months now and I have to fight for the S9 AutoSet. People's Sleep Apnea changes over time for various reasons and without being able to read the data I'm being kept on a leash with the DME holding it while I have to depend on them for new pressure settings which they want to give me a loaner, try different masks, bring the machine in, possibly more sleep studies, time, co-pays, etc. when all of this is simply avoided with an AutoPap! I hope your therapy is successful, and you can get some decent rest!!!

Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
11-10-2012 11:18 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

(11-10-2012 12:27 AM)trish6hundred Wrote:  Hi Ugly,
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time of things right now. I know this is so discourageing for you but I just encourage you to stick with it. You might turn your EPR up to 2 and see if that helps you.

Best of luck to you and don't give up.

Actually I was mistaken. I had it set to "3" so I bumped it down to "2" last night. Hard to tell yet. Nasty rain storm out tonight. I hope there will be power for me.
11-10-2012 10:56 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hope that setting works out for you.
There are some threads here on the board that give lots of suggestions for when the power goes out.

trish6hundred
11-11-2012 10:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

(11-11-2012 10:03 PM)trish6hundred Wrote:  Hope that setting works out for you.

So far, no.
So thanks to the wisdon of this board.... my CPAP has been set to "8" for several years. OK now I am able to change it. I'll try it at "9" tonight. See if I'm more rested in the morning. At any rate I have an appointment with my sleep therapist on Wednesday. I won't tell her what I did - shame on me Big Grin and confirm with my wife that she thinks investing extra $$$ on a better machine would be worth it.
11-12-2012 02:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Treatment] One Year in and still have tired days Sleepyv 17 534 12-01-2016 02:58 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  When does the "tired" feeling go away? Cranberry Ray 8 501 11-30-2016 10:10 AM
Last Post: Cranberry Ray
  New, very tired, and need help beckysmith 35 1,344 11-28-2016 06:53 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Good stats, good sleep, but still tired... Lourens1190 14 862 11-03-2016 05:40 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  [CPAP] still very tired and don't know what to do mlasham 30 1,498 10-10-2016 09:11 PM
Last Post: Violetskyye
  cpap therapy still tired wyu177 12 846 09-21-2016 09:32 AM
Last Post: wyu177
  extremely tired all the time. need advice. dorlow 63 4,444 09-11-2016 08:34 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse