Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm so TIRED
Ohmy 
I'm so TIRED
One thing I'm noting from my initial experiences with the Resmed S9 Escape is that - it tells me how long I've been sleeping. 6, 7, 9 hours.
A full night's rest I suppose but I awake still VERY tired. Is this an indication that the pressure is wrong? I have no recollection of whether or not I stopped breathing and it seems my current machine won't tell me that.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm so TIRED
(11-09-2012, 09:19 PM)Ugly Wrote: One thing I'm noting from my initial experiences with the Resmed S9 Escape is that - it tells me how long I've been sleeping. 6, 7, 9 hours.
A full night's rest I suppose but I awake still VERY tired. Is this an indication that the pressure is wrong? I have no recollection of whether or not I stopped breathing and it seems my current machine won't tell me that.

I too wake VERY tired and end up sleeping for sometimes 2-6 more hours! One thing I learned about the Escape is that we are receiving the set pressure even when not needed or having an event! This seems like a reason where this type machine may eventually be eliminated for AutoPaps. The ResMed web-site acknowledges that this is basically an issue. Recently a DME shared that most people they see with new prescriptions are given AutoPaps instead of straight CPAP's.
As far as trying to help with you being tired, is your EPR turned on? Mine wasn't until recently when someone shared it was a setting the patient can change. This on will make it easier to exhale against the incoming 8cm of pressure. Hope this helps and someone can share how to turn it on, I don't recall the steps right now but it wasn't difficult.
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2012, 09:33 PM)2Tim215 Wrote: I too wake VERY tired and end up sleeping for sometimes 2-6 more hours! One thing I learned about the Escape is that we are receiving the set pressure even when not needed or having an event! This seems like a reason where this type machine may eventually be eliminated for AutoPaps.

That's what I have settled for during the last 14 years. My Tranquility Quest was at a set pressure and it blew constantly. An honest to goodness CPAP in the literal sense.

Quote: The ResMed web-site acknowledges that this is basically an issue. Recently a DME shared that most people they see with new prescriptions are given AutoPaps instead of straight CPAP's.
As far as trying to help with you being tired, is your EPR turned on?

Yes I turned it on. It's possible I should fiddle with the parameters a little but it's on. Okay the clinician manual says I can have it "off" or set it to 1 2 or 3. I think I have it set to "1" right now. I can bump it up to "2" for tonight. I printed it out and added it to my binder for ready reference.

Quote: Mine wasn't until recently when someone shared it was a setting the patient can change. This on will make it easier to exhale against the incoming 8cm of pressure. Hope this helps and someone can share how to turn it on, I don't recall the steps right now but it wasn't difficult.

I'll have to check it out. Because of my limited memory (my health issues go way beyond sleep apnea) I had to print it all out since I can't retain such information in my mind. EPR is also selectable as "off", "ramp only" or "full time" the last one is my setting.
But as I said, having this option is extremely new to me since my old machine blew out a constant wind stream with no variation from the time I turned it on until I shut it off. Then.... my appointment with my GP isn't until early December and I have to talk to HIM before I talk to my Otolaryngologist.
Post Reply Post Reply
What the EPR numbers mean is the pressure drop on exhale. So if your pressure is 8 and you have EPR set to 1, you inhale 8 and exhale against 7.

I turned mine off for about two weeks a few months ago. Didn't notice that much of a difference except my ears clogged as soon as I turned it on each night for the first 3 or so days then stopped doing it. When I turned the EPR back on, I put it to 2. No problems with the ears but I have noticed I fell asleep better.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Some new PAPers are tired, no matter what kind of machine they have, and no matter how good their AHI.

Speculation on the CPAP forum varies from "sleep debt" to "withdrawal" from hypoxia, sleep deprivation, stress hormones, adrenaline, etc. Poor sleep is also another possibility.

As unpleasant as it is, it's probably actually a good sign that something's working.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ugly,
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time of things right now. I know this is so discourageing for you but I just encourage you to stick with it. You might turn your EPR up to 2 and see if that helps you.

Best of luck to you and don't give up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My memory isn't like it used to be either! I think it was Paula who suggested in another thread to set it at 2 and I did. It did help some for me, better than pushing back the incoming pressure for sure! I still have severe oversleeping, by the way, good morning! Eastern Standard Time! I am working hard on moving up to an S9 AutoSet as my insurance will only allow one machine per 5 year period. It has been approx. 23 months now and I have to fight for the S9 AutoSet. People's Sleep Apnea changes over time for various reasons and without being able to read the data I'm being kept on a leash with the DME holding it while I have to depend on them for new pressure settings which they want to give me a loaner, try different masks, bring the machine in, possibly more sleep studies, time, co-pays, etc. when all of this is simply avoided with an AutoPap! I hope your therapy is successful, and you can get some decent rest!!!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2012, 12:27 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Ugly,
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time of things right now. I know this is so discourageing for you but I just encourage you to stick with it. You might turn your EPR up to 2 and see if that helps you.

Best of luck to you and don't give up.

Actually I was mistaken. I had it set to "3" so I bumped it down to "2" last night. Hard to tell yet. Nasty rain storm out tonight. I hope there will be power for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope that setting works out for you.
There are some threads here on the board that give lots of suggestions for when the power goes out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2012, 10:03 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hope that setting works out for you.

So far, no.
So thanks to the wisdon of this board.... my CPAP has been set to "8" for several years. OK now I am able to change it. I'll try it at "9" tonight. See if I'm more rested in the morning. At any rate I have an appointment with my sleep therapist on Wednesday. I won't tell her what I did - shame on me Big Grin and confirm with my wife that she thinks investing extra $$$ on a better machine would be worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 457 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 158 03-28-2024, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 278 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 5,378 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 267 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 175 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 309 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.