Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm surprised by AHI data
I'm surprised by AHI data
Having used a CPAP for ages I have been rather startled by the information coming from my new machine.  See, I have never been able to see any data.  Having not been back to the sleep doctor after being first prescribed one (decades ago) I have had no idea what was going on.

With the discovery of Sleepyhead software along with my new System One and its SD card, I am looking at this information for the first time.
What has me startled is the extremely low AHI I am registering compared the the posted NORMS.  Here is an attachment with some basics for the time I have been on (and tinkering with) my new machine.

Any general observations and commentary on this limited data? Just thought this would be a good place to start.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm surprised by AHI data
Welcome to the board and well done.  Consistently under 1.0 AHI is awesome.  
the question now is how do you feel
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking very good there.
The numbers are nice; the screenshots of the graphs are more helpful, though, as they may display particular times where events happen more, or show features of breathing that are helpful to identify (clues to optimizing management; sometimes clues to other issues). For example, when sleeping on my back, I can get runs of apneas in as many or fewer minutes up to 40 or so minutes duration. This may be in REM sleep. Sleeping on my side? Those events drop down incredibly.
See the link in my signature on organizing your screenshot (s).

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Your AHI scores are much better than mine. I have complex apnea, its difficult for me to stay below 3 or 4.  But it's definitely good to monitor your own results for a number of reasons.  I have a very good doctor who works to keep me on track, she works with me. The ideal pressure for me is not something that gets set and then doesn't change for a decade, it's an ongoing process. Keep monitoring.  Its like the stock market, a few nights isn't necessarily a trend, but over time you can definitely tune for the best results.  I've definitely benefited from making adjustments between sleep studies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2017, 06:07 PM)Blue Shift Wrote: the extremely low AHI I am registering compared the the posted NORMS

If by the "posted norms" you mean that anything under 5 is considered to be normal, that is just an arbitrary statistical line drawn for scientific research purposes.  If my AHI was 4 each night, I would feel terrible in the day time.  An AHI of 5 is more or less the line between "suck it up buttercup" and "OK, OK, we will treat you if you insist".  In some countries they use 10.  It keeps treatment costs down.

Your therapy appears to be working quite well.  My numbers get that low, but not consistently like yours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Blue Shift,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,651 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 896 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 798 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,280 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IF I insert an SD card to get data for Sleepyhead will my ResMed still send data theMezz 3 2,070 04-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: theMezz
  Data viewer for 960 BiPAP AutoSV / Missing data pswartz 5 4,059 10-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Last Post: pswartz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.