Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone else have Sleep Drs that're only CPAP machine mills?
RE: Anyone else have Sleep Drs that're only CPAP machine mills?
(02-25-2017, 02:26 AM)player Wrote: If you can get an APAP (auto) machine instead of a CPAP it is easier to get it right on your own. Sleepyhead software is a must.

thankyou for the advice but I was talked into not needing an auto machine and as a result I am having to pretty much go it alone as I have had no contact with my councilor since the money was handed over. The lack of support has given me no incentive to return to them.I am also in no financial position to change to an APAP machine.I have sleepyhead and am hoping to get some good helpful advice through here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2017, 10:40 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:
(02-23-2017, 03:38 AM)jacl Wrote: hi all, I am new to all this but I get the feeling most people setup their own machines and dont rely on doctors or others. This sounds good to me because I was sent to a pharmacist and got pretty much just a big hole in my savings and still tired (probably worse than before). I am looking forward to hopefully getting help here also thanks

Oh dear no, most people do NOT set up their own machines.  They simply make do with the DME or doc and when that fails, they give up and push the machine into the back of the closet.  People who are determined to make an improvement are who make it here.  I pretty much research everything to death before buying, so a cpap was no different. 

The real problem with DMEs is that they are often taking advantage of people who are SICK and can't think well.  In addition, always remember that verbal contracts will promptly be forgotten. Get everything in writing, have the manager initial and sign and give them a copy.  It's a lot harder for them to back out of their promises when you have a signed agreement.  Their next argument will be that "the person wasn't authorized to sign for the company" and you can just say that lawyers don't really agree with that as a PT is not just an employee, but a professional.  My sister even makes them print their name as that is another way of avoiding responsibility - the illegible signature.

I think I am one of those ones taken advantage of, going into this is very confusing an daunting and I thought the  "experts" would put me on the right track but I think they only saw the dollar signs. Thankyou for your response. I am looking forward to being an active member of this group Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Jacl, your machine has an auto-trial mode that can titrate for optimium pressure up to 30 days, and it's resettable. Don't hesitate to start a thread where we can discuss this.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a similar experience. Because I was *renting* the machine (not an auto), I simply returned it. My dr (who was also my dme) was NOT happy; but hello, that's what renting is about, right? Then I found a different dme that was willing to give me an auto.

If you're not renting though, it seems you're stuck with it. :-/
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2017, 06:38 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:   I had a similar experience. Because I was *renting* the machine (not an auto), I simply returned it.  My dr (who was also my dme) was NOT happy; but hello, that's what renting is about, right?  Then I found a different dme that was willing to give me an auto.

If you're not renting though, it seems you're stuck with it. :-/
thankyou
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 154 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.