Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

I need crypto Software. Suggestions
I need some form of public key encryption SW to encrypt mostly a few sensitive text files.

I liked PGP back when Zimmerman was involved. It's now a commercial product that I feel has been backdoored to satisfy those rogue's at Ft Meade.

Algorithm: perhaps Blowfish, Idea or Triple DES.

I prefer it not be integrated with my OS or into Office.

Suggestions por favor.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2016 12:44 PM by justMongo.)
04-19-2016 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: I need crypto Software. Suggestions
(04-19-2016 12:44 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I need some form of public key encryption SW to encrypt mostly a few sensitive text files.

I liked PGP back when Zimmerman was involved. It's now a commercial product that I feel has been backdoored to satisfy those rogue's at Ft Meade.

Algorithm: perhaps Blowfish, Idea or Triple DES.

I prefer it not be integrated with my OS or into Office.

Suggestions por favor.

Why do you want public key?

Remember that Blowfish, IDEA, and DES are all symmetrical ciphers. Any "public key" variants are wrappers around a scheme of passing a key to a symmetrical cipher. It may not matter in practice, but keep that in mind.

From what I read, the consensus is that almost all of the strong public key algorithms are too computationally intensive to be used for actual encryption. I wonder if that's really true any more, or if the crypto community is living in the past.

Do you need high security?

7-zip is a very good general purpose FOSS archiver that supports a private key crypto mode. AES256. You can make a self extracting encrypted .exe file. You can also make a .7z or .zip file that's encrypted.

I think Windoze will natively extract the encrypted .zip file. At least it will for me, but I might have some extension installed, and it might vary with different versions of Windoze.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
04-19-2016 02:38 PM
partsmutt Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: HumidAir
CPAP Pressure: 8-10, ERP 3
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

By "public key" I'm assuming you mean asymmetric. Archangle is correct in that asymmetric ciphers are processing intensive. Usually we use that for small data files, or to encrypt a symmetric key that in turn is used to encrypt / decrypt large amounts of data.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the algorithms you mention, but those are odd choices. I usually stick to the NIST approved / suggested crypto. For example 3DES with the same 56-bit key is next to worthless. Encrypting all 3 rounds with a different key is better, but still isn't as good as AES 128.

Most of what we do is custom implementations, so I'm not familiar with the commercial products out there, but I'll look into it and get back here unless someone beats me to a good recommendation for you.

My 2 cents: Backdoors get way too much hype and credence. Backdoors can't only let one group in, they would let anyone in. That's why there is so much in-fighting with the government. People who don't understand crypto (even some within our 3-letter agencies) want backdoors put in. People who want things secure know that it can not happen. Backdoors don't exist in good crypto. They either change the algorithm completely to unknown level of security, or they become obvious to anyone analyzing the code. Any product, especially a commercial product, with a backdoor would be outed by the community in moments.

Happy Wife and kids
Big Yellow Jeep
Homebuilt hardtail
A Dozen Guitars
Once I can sleep, life will be perfect
04-22-2016 03:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sn00zeAlarm Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed A10 autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 5-7
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Heated hose

Use GPG, the open source version of the original PGP. It is available for all platforms.
04-22-2016 04:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need suggestions ASAP Please me50 3 595 07-06-2015 04:49 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  New Android Phone - finally took the plunge - suggestions for apps? SuperSleeper 30 8,933 04-03-2013 05:45 AM
Last Post: b360155
Grin Treatment suggestions needed! jgjones1972 3 1,281 12-16-2012 10:00 AM
Last Post: Bompa