Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I need help with my new Aircurve 10 ASV
I need help with my new Aircurve 10 ASV
Hi!
Newbie - 1st post!
I am so grateful to have found you guys!

History: I have been on CPAP therapy for 10 years treating OSA. In August '15, I did a new sleep study and it was determined that I needed to be treated with BIPAP S/T 11/7cm H2O with RR=8 and T1 max 2.8 seconds and T1 min 0.1 seconds. After a few months, I was still tired in the morning, etc.

On 3/29 I did a new sleep study and found that I have Central Sleep Apnea as well as OSA. After unsuccessful ( AHI 20+) use of Bi-pap ST I was swithed to Aircurve 10 ASV.

The recommended settings with autoASV: Max pressure 25, Max EPAP 5, Max PS 15, Min PS 3, Biflex off, Rate 14. Timed insp 1. 4. Rise time 3.

I am usung a laptop from work and need the administrator to allow me access to SH.

My new AC10 is not displaying the correct data for the amount of time I slept last night. (Last week, there was a day where the data was also screwy.) I slept 7hrs. It says 2. I thought I slept well and didn't feel tired when I woke up this morning, but the display shows that I had 11.2 apnea events last night. My first week (last week) my AHI ranged from 1.1 to 14 later in the week.

I went into the Clinical Settings (thanks!) and the highest Max EPAP it can go and was set by the tech is 15. Is this right?

Is my machine screwy? Should I get a replacement?

Where can I adjust the Max pressure to be 25? The settings are: mMin EPAP 5.0,
Max EPAP 15, Min PS 3.0, Max PS 15.0.

I'm using ResMed's My Air for data right now.

Thanks,

Jeffo1

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I need help with my new Aircurve 10 ASV
Hi Jeffo1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions.
I don't know a whole lot about ASV machines, but there are quite a few who use them here on this forum.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and also with getting your machine adjusted to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Jeff, welcome to Apnea Board.

With ASV machines there is a "magic" formula: EPAP + PS = IPAP, where

EPAP is the expiratory pressure (when you're exhaling)
IPAP is the inspiratory pressure (when you're inhaling)
PS is the pressure support - the amount by which pressure is increased when you switch from exhale to inhale.

You're right that the maximum EPAP is 15, and you are not likely to ever need more than that. The maximum pressure you will experience is the IPAPmax, which is EPAPmax + PSmax. In your case with EPAPmax = 15 and PSmax = 15, you could conceivably experience IPAPmax = 30. But the machine will shut down as an overload protection if it gets that high. The usual IPAPmax is 25 in ASV and ASVAuto modes.

Regarding the time, check that it is set correctly on the machine. It uses a 24 hour clock, so if (for instance) it was set at 2:00 in the afternoon rather than 14:00 then the time will be off. Also, the CPAP day starts at 12 noon. If you sleep through the day, the data will be split into separate sessions at noon, which will also (obviously) throw things out of whack.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2016, 06:37 PM)Jeffo1 Wrote: History: I have been on CPAP therapy for 10 years treating OSA. In August '15, I did a new sleep study and it was determined that I needed to be treated with BIPAP S/T 11/7cm H2O with RR=8 and T1 max 2.8 seconds and T1 min 0.1 seconds. After a few months, I was still tired in the morning, etc.

On 3/29 I did a new sleep study and found that I have Central Sleep Apnea as well as OSA. After unsuccessful ( AHI 20+) use of Bi-pap ST I was swithed to Aircurve 10 ASV.

Your story is similar to mine. Veteran CPAP user, "graduated" to ASV.

Quote:My new AC10 is not displaying the correct data for the amount of time I slept last night. (Last week, there was a day where the data was also screwy.) I slept 7hrs. It says 2. I thought I slept well and didn't feel tired when I woke up this morning, but the display shows that I had 11.2 apnea events last night. My first week (last week) my AHI ranged from 1.1 to 14 later in the week.

When you say you "had 11.2 apnea events last night", do you mean your AHI was 11.2? AHI is the average number of events per hour, and I don't think you can have a .2 event. If you only had 11 events in seven hours, your AHI would be 1.8 for last night.

In any case, there are things that can be throwing your AHI off. My first night on ASV gave me an AHI of 15. I wasn't used to the nasal pillows or the occasional higher pressures, so I had some mask leaks, mouth leaks, and other disturbances. Since then (over a month now), my AHI has been pretty consistently under 5. My April average was 3.3. So, before trying to change settings, I'd first make sure you're not getting major leaks, positional obstructions (rolling onto your back, which is a bad idea for some of us), or mouth breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Complex apnea (both OSA and CA) is difficult to treat. Controlling the OSA events can aggravate CA and periodic breathing. See if you can get Sleepyhead installed and post some screenshots of your data. Various Board Members can make suggestions based on their own experience with ASV treatment.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2016, 12:48 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Jeffo1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions.
I don't know a whole lot about ASV machines, but there are quite a few who use them here on this forum.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and also with getting your machine adjusted to meet your needs.

Hi!

Thanks!

Jeffo1
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2016, 06:52 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Jeff, welcome to Apnea Board.

With ASV machines there is a "magic" formula: EPAP + PS = IPAP, where

EPAP is the expiratory pressure (when you're exhaling)
IPAP is the inspiratory pressure (when you're inhaling)
PS is the pressure support - the amount by which pressure is increased when you switch from exhale to inhale.

You're right that the maximum EPAP is 15, and you are not likely to ever need more than that. The maximum pressure you will experience is the IPAPmax, which is EPAPmax + PSmax. In your case with EPAPmax = 15 and PSmax = 15, you could conceivably experience IPAPmax = 30. But the machine will shut down as an overload protection if it gets that high. The usual IPAPmax is 25 in ASV and ASVAuto modes.

Regarding the time, check that it is set correctly on the machine. It uses a 24 hour clock, so if (for instance) it was set at 2:00 in the afternoon rather than 14:00 then the time will be off. Also, the CPAP day starts at 12 noon. If you sleep through the day, the data will be split into separate sessions at noon, which will also (obviously) throw things out of whack.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for suggesting that I check the time clock. It is at 24 hours, but it's strange that it splits the sleep cycle!

I saw my sleep doc yesterday regarding the five high AHI spikes that I had over the past 14 days (14, 10, etc.) since I started ASV therapy and she suggested that since my sleep study was titrated using a Respironics Auto ASV, which she ordered, my DME (Lincare) gave me a ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV. (This is the third time where Lincare has given me a machine that was different from what the doctor ordered - but that's another story!)

Could the different ASV algorithms of the Respironics Auto ASV vs. ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV account for spikes in my AHIs since the presdure settings might be different?

Thanks,

Jeffo1

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2016, 01:48 PM)Jeffo1 Wrote: Could the different ASV algorithms of the Respironics Auto ASV vs. ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV account for spikes in my AHIs since the presdure settings might be different?

I'm no expert but I don't see why this couldn't be the case, since the algorithm is what determines the way the machine actually works. Complex apnea is a subtle beast, as has already been mentioned, so differences that might otherwise be minor could have large effects.

Now that I think of it, I don't know what they used for my own titration study. I think the tech said it was a machine that could be set to simulate other kinds of machines (CPAP, BiPAP, APAP, ASV). But since those algorithms are proprietary, I don't suppose it behaved exactly like the PRS1 they ended up prescribing for me...

So yes, I think it's very possible that your titration study on one machine should only be considered a "rough draft" for your best settings on another.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jeff, Resmed and Respironics ASV machines operate in ways that feel different to users, and we have seen people respond better to one machine than the other, but it's not something you could predict based on a single night sleep study. What was the exact pressure prescription by your doctor?

All pressure settings are easily accessible by pressing the control knob and home button at the same time to enter the clinician settings. You are not quite ready for that until you fully understand what you want to accomplish and why. Once you have over 8 posts you will be able to post data that may help us to help you more accurately. A max EPAP is quite high, and I doubt you need to adjust that; however if you are experiencing a lot of obstructive events (snoring, flow limitation, hypopnea, and OA), then you would need to increase the minimum EPAP. We need a little more detail on your results to advise.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2016, 01:57 PM)tmoody Wrote:
(05-04-2016, 01:48 PM)Jeffo1 Wrote: Could the different ASV algorithms of the Respironics Auto ASV vs. ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV account for spikes in my AHIs since the presdure settings might be different?

I'm no expert but I don't see why this couldn't be the case, since the algorithm is what determines the way the machine actually works. Complex apnea is a subtle beast, as has already been mentioned, so differences that might otherwise be minor could have large effects.

Now that I think of it, I don't know what they used for my own titration study. I think the tech said it was a machine that could be set to simulate other kinds of machines (CPAP, BiPAP, APAP, ASV). But since those algorithms are proprietary, I don't suppose it behaved exactly like the PRS1 they ended up prescribing for me...

So yes, I think it's very possible that your titration study on one machine should only be considered a "rough draft" for your best settings on another.
Hi!!
Thanks for your thoughts! I greatly appreciate it.
It's so good to know that I'm not alone in dealing with these issues!
All best,
Jeffo1

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 314 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 573 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,517 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 210 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 89 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,364 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.