Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I ordered. Excited & terrified.
I ordered. Excited & terrified.
Well… here I go. Recently diagnosed and finally just ordered.

I’m excited and terrified at the same time. I’m really excited about the potential. My sleep has been so horrible I just can’t take it anymore. And I’m imagining any better sleep than I’ve had lately is going to be life-changing.

I posted on here recently and you all gave me some good advice about sleep positional impacts (the chin tuck), but unfortunately for me that didn’t seem to make any difference at all. So I’m just exhausted all the time. 

I’m terrified because I know this is not an easy path nor a guaranteed solution. I’ve read so much here, thank you all, and yeah I’m a little bit scared about sucking air in to my stomach, mouth breathing when wearing a P10 mask (thus having to go to a full face mask), or just not adapting to CPAP therapy at all.

Based on my testing, I’ve ordered the ResMed 11 autosense with a P10 and they tell me I need a chinstrap. ?

Now the shipping wait begins. I can’t wait to sleep one day, this is just awful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I ordered. Excited & terrified.
I would question the chin strap.
In general we don't like chin straps that pull the chin back, which is most of them, but rather those that pull up instead.
Read the Mouth breathing section of the Mask Primer. It lists several solutions other than a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. What should I expect if I have a P10 but find then I’m a mouth breather? From what I’ve read here, it sounds kind of awful. It does not sound like just ineffective therapy, I was reading more about stomach upset, nausea, gas and that it’s extremely uncomfortable.

And how common is this? I’m generally a nose breather when I’m awake, but I don’t know what my natural tendency is when I’m asleep, though I tend to think mouth breather.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board...  There are some that have problems with "stomach upset, nausea, gas and that it’s extremely uncomfortable."  BUT many more have no problems with it.  For me and again, many others CPAP is a god send.  It allows me to sleep and I could not even go to sleep without it.  Don't worry about problems, IF they arise, with help for this board you will do fine.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Emaz

Once you're on your machine the experts here will know quickly if you need a chinstrap.

There are lots of alternatives. soft curvical collar. Knightsbridge Dual Strap. (I have the Knightsbridge, and have had great nights and bad....but patience is the key with everything we do.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I was shocked at the difference that happened in just the first night, and it just got better after that.
No more waking up at 3am for a zombie walk to the bathroom, no more waking up at 6am for work with my eyes rolled up into my lids like a horror film actor.
Mask fit will be the biggest challenge. I couldnt use a full face mask (seemed to close off my nasal), but I do love the F30.
Best of luck, welcome to the journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
THIS is what I was hoping to hear. Anything progress from where I’m at will be quite an improvement. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO, there is NOTHING to be truly terrified of. Any problems that occur can be dealth with as they occur. Look to be benefits and don't freak in advance about things that haven't happened yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't be scared, you'll get the best help here from everyone, and you will probably need to try different mask types... I don't use DMEs, sleep doctors, or Insurance companies as they are generally incompetent, but I was given nasal pillows and a chinstrap and it was really rough.. I tried many different types of masks myself and finally found the best one for me (resmed Airfit F20 system-large) so you will likely have to try a few yourself before you find the best one. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with an N20 nasal mask and my machine. It wasn't until I got on this site and downloaded Oscar that I could see I had massive mouth leaks.
At that point I tried 3M tape and that helped, but I had positional apnea. So I bought a Cervical collar and that helped.

I also tried a couple of FFMs...the F30i and the Fischer & Paykel Simplus. Those didn't work well for me.

Finally found out about BSN cover roll tape, and the Knightsbridge cap and my AHI dropped below 1 constantly. Also picked up a CPAP pillow and most importantly, started sleeping on my side.

I then went to the N30i, and P30i. These worked OK, but the best mask for me has been the F&P Brevida and that has been my main go to mask...but...I also use the P10 and that mask has given me great success.

The only downside I found with nasal pillows was irritation of my nares. I then used lanolyn cream and that helped. The Brevida helps in this aspect because it has soft nasal prongs, but also envelops your nose with the pillow.

You will get help here to fine tune pressure, leak mitigation and analysis, which this board is a fabulous resource for.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 557 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Doctor ordered a CPAP sleep study melody 11 970 11-12-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New Sleep Apnoea test ordered. Ockrocket 11 1,000 07-30-2023, 04:27 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Undiagnosed 36 Obese M in UK…terrified TomCatt 4 950 11-13-2022, 11:28 PM
Last Post: freejam
  Intermittent desaturations during sleep - doc ordered 02 concentrator MCS2014 11 1,444 08-08-2022, 12:43 AM
Last Post: MCS2014
  [Diagnosis] Negative sleep study, still ordered a CPAP Anargy 41 4,378 12-03-2020, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Anargy
  Ordered ASV: Things to know? Universeonwheels 3 993 05-10-2020, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Universeonwheels

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.