Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I regress!
RE: I regress!
I am sooooo tired again this morning. Another night of interrupted sleep due to noisy mask leaks. I'm going to call my RT again today.

The thing is, although i would like to try nasal pillows with a chin strap, what if it doesn't worK? My 30 days are up December 10, so would I have only a week to try them before I am either stuck with them or revert to the FFM I have now?

Ah...just rambling this morning. It's my birthday, so I'm entitled.

Thanks for "listening."

Lamb
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
Lambsydoats,
Happy Birthday!

My facial features seem to be contrary to a FFM's design. I personally bought a nasal pillow mask and that was the best thing I did. At least that kept me from throwing my CPAP out. My AHI went up the first few nights after switching but that was because I was actually getting some much needed sleep. My AHI is now half of what it was with a FFM and I wake-up in a good mood(for the most part). If you have the money and are a gambler you might look at either the P10 or the Nuance. Both masks have gotten very good reviews on several apnea boards. The P10 has a pillow within a pillow design while the Nuance uses a gel filled pillow. One side note; the Nuance has a "Pro" model that has silicon headgear as opposed to a fabric one. A lot of people have reported that the Pro model sticks to their face and recommend the fabric model.

Once again, Happy 29th Birthday!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2014, 08:55 AM)sgearhart Wrote: Lambsydoats,
Happy Birthday!

Thank you, sgearhart! Feeling satisfied that I got the attention sought this morning. :grin:

(12-03-2014, 08:55 AM)sgearhart Wrote: My facial features seem to be contrary to a FFM's design. I personally bought a nasal pillow mask and that was the best thing I did. At least that kept me from throwing my CPAP out. My AHI went up the first few nights after switching but that was because I was actually getting some much needed sleep. My AHI is now half of what it was with a FFM and I wake-up in a good mood(for the most part). If you have the money and are a gambler you might look at either the P10 or the Nuance. Both masks have gotten very good reviews on several apnea boards. The P10 has a pillow within a pillow design while the Nuance uses a gel filled pillow. One side note; the Nuance has a "Pro" model that has silicon headgear as opposed to a fabric one. A lot of people have reported that the Pro model sticks to their face and recommend the fabric model.

Thank you for the insight. I'm calling my RT now to see about switching while I'm still in my 30-day mask-trial period.

(12-03-2014, 08:55 AM)sgearhart Wrote: Once again, Happy 29th Birthday!

Why, however did you know? Bigwink

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lambsydoats,
Happy Birthday," and may you have many more.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Happy Birthday Lambsydoats,

If you are regressing does that mean you are 28 now??

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Trish and Payton! Thanks

These last two nights (while I've been all stuffed up), I didn't even try my new nasal pillows. I was breathing through my mouth just sitting in my living room!

HOWEVER, my FFM didn't leak like it had been!!!! When I went to the DME to switch masks, the RT let me take my FFM back with me in case the pillows were a bust. He had me show him how I put my mask on, and gave me two bits of advice: Wear it lower on my face, and tighten up the straps (which he did).

During the night, I finally removed my FFM because of my coughing and blowing my nose and coughing. When I woke up very early this morning, I noted that I hadn't used it for at least 4 hours, so I re-donned it and fell back asleep. (Thank goodness I'm on vacation this week and can do that without a second thought.) I got 4+ hours in AND my AHI was ... I'll have to check, but I believe it was 2-something. YAY!

Lamb

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I just needed to catch a cold or the flu to get things back on track.

Just look at these stats since I posted "I regress!":

November 30
AHI: 6.59
CA: 28 events
OA: 9 events

December 1
AHI: 9.44
CA: 35 events
OA: 9 events

December 2
AHI: 8.23
CA: 28 events
OA: 2 events

December 3 - start of a cold/the flu
AHI: 1.91
CA: 9 events
OA: 2 events

December 4 - full-blown cold/flu
AHI: 2
CA: 9 events
OA: 0 events

Lamb

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings Lambsydoats,

Happy Belated Birthday! Ah yes, your 28th Birthday!

HOW the mask is put on and the straps are adjusted is Very important. So is cleaning the mask and your face DAILY. I found out how important cleaning the mask/nasal pillows is when I forgot for two days and got a sore nostril.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Whoa.

When SleepyHead tells me,

The last time you used your ResMed AutoSet FH...
was last night (on Friday, December 19, 2014)
You had an AHI of 10.39, which is considered horrible, please consult your doctor
You machine was on for 9 hours, 55 minutes and 4 seconds.
You had a small but acceptable amount of major mask leakage.
Your CPAP machine blasted you with a constant 9cmH2O of air.

...I start to wonder!

Here's a report showing my "progress" since switching from FFM to nasal pillows (which I love, by the way). Note: There was one night at the beginning when I reverted to FFM because I couldn't breathe due to a cold.

I trust my RT when he says that the data from before switching may be skewed because of leaks, and now that I don't keep waking up to adjust my mask so it quits being so noisy (because of leaks and the rush of air against my pillow and/or bed covers), it's most likely a truer reading.

Despite all of your diligent attempts at comfort (and I thank you), I remain very concerned about the CAs, which have occurred at a rate of about 8:1 when compared with the OAs. Here are the overview stats from the beginning. (You may need to zoom to 1200x to be able to read it.)

I'll call my RT on Monday to discuss these stats; meanwhile, your thoughts??

Lamb

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a shot in the dark. Could you be sleeping on your back? Once I got comfy with my mask, I found out I was back sleeping. It was a surprise to me, never thought I was a back sleeper. Now I don a backpack every nite.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.