Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I regress!
RE: I regress!
A a pressure of 9cm it shouldnt be that hard to seal the mask really. My min pressure is higher than that at 10.5 max at 17.

Havent tried any masks even lousy ones that wouldnt seal at that pressure unless they were the wrong size.

The mask liner will diffuse the leaks so you dont notice em but it really doesnt stop them. But your machine should be able to make up the difference with that low a max pressure easily.

As far as horrible nights I think we all have a few nights the aliens drop by and throw a wrench in the works just for fun.

Example the wife usually runs a AHI under 1. Last night, well really a two hour stretch this morning she had a 2 hour cluster of about every event you can think of back to back. She same up a AHI of 2 which is fine, but for that two hour stretch she ran an AHI of 10

It just seems to happen to all of us occasionally. Unless it became a long running pattern I probably wouldnt sweat over it to much.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2014, 04:11 PM)readyforsleep Wrote: Here is a shot in the dark. Could you be sleeping on your back? Once I got comfy with my mask, I found out I was back sleeping. It was a surprise to me, never thought I was a back sleeper. Now I don a backpack every nite.

Ready,

I don't think I'm sleeping on my back. When I wake up, I'm not on my back and because I have a bad (read: painful) back, doing so would be nearly impossible without the pain awakening me.
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
Think it's time to talk to the sleep doc - not the RT.

CAs can be caused to people new to CPAP, and may just go away on their own. That said, your machine can 'see' CAs, but does not 'treat' them at all, so if like me they become the majority of your events, your doc may need a new titration and a script for a different machine - unless you can find and fix the cause. FYI - opiate pain meds are known to cause CAs, in case you happen to use those (like I do).
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
A more experienced PAP'r may have some good sensible advice for you.

My limited knowledge observations:
1. Your H and OA is being suitably (if not admirably) treated.
2. AHI about 10 is ok, not the best for you, I would not call it horrible as it would only have been considered mild apnea (not deserving of PAP treatment) if it were your result unaided. Strive for ways to better this, but do not stress out.
3. Ideas (based on reducing pressure somewhat to reduce CAs):
3.a. might be better with APAP setting with/without 2cm relief, setting at 6.0-11.0 or 7.0 to 11.0 (based on your comfort).
3.b. maybe reduce to 8.5 or 8.0 CPAP therapy and monitor for increasing H or OA. Bump down after 5-10 nights if H and OA don't rise much.

If you had to have 4.5 combined H and OA to reduce your CA to 1.5, you would be in better shape overall (IMHO). If the trick to CA control means you'll have consistent readings under AHI 6.0, it seems worth it. Driving your H and OA to 0.1-1.5 has thus far gotten you some dandy double digits.

So far as I know, CAs are not caused by body positioning. They are generally brain - interface issues.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had considerable CAs even before CPAP--during the take-home test to determine whether I even had SA. OAs were 18 (62%), and CAs were 11 (38%).

Lamb

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
Lamb as much as I hate sleep labs thats about the only place they will for sure be able to tell if you have CA or not. What looks like a CA on a home test may not be a true CA. The only way the sleep tech can tell is based on your brain waves when a CA happens.

We do CAs awake everyday. As in no blocked air way but no breathing because the blood has enough O2 and brain says Ok we got enough for O2 for now. Same thing happens at night though its not a true CA. Or it could be. Being wired up at the sleep lab is the only real way to know for sure.

Like I say im no fan of sleep labs for titration but for finding CA vs OA or Complex its about the only sure fire way to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
might be interesting to use an O2 monitor to see if the CA's are causing low oxygen saturation.
Post Reply Post Reply
my CAs definitely do affect O2.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2014, 12:15 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: my CAs definitely do affect O2.

yeah, I would think true CAs would, but other less worrisome events that look to the machine like a CA but aren't wouldnt. Trying to think of the least expensive path to the info Lambsy needs
Post Reply Post Reply
My in-lab titration polysomnography also showed CAs (AHI 9.5 on those) as well as my take-home sleep studies.

A pulse-oximeter is on my Christmas list...so we'll see!

Lamb

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.