Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I slept 7 hours and I can't believe it
I-love-Apnea-Board

118th Day of Therapy- Best night ever-Thanks Apnea Board
would not be at his point without your wisdom, insight, humor and hyperbole.

Grouphug3

I can’t remember ever sleeping 7 hours. I have always been fascinated by people who sleep 8 or 9 or even 10.

Typically, (prior to Therapy) I would sleep between 2:15 and 3 hours and then wake up, make some water, and go back to bed. It’s been that way as long as I can remember. I always thought I slept well.

When I first went on therapy. My sleep cycle got screwed up by the therapy and I felt like crap. After about 7 weeks my sleep cycles normalized and I was back to my old sleeping cycle. I felt just like I did before therapy.

I continued to work on refining my sweet spot and improving the therapy. And whadoyaknow my sleep cycle started getting longer I started sleeping 3hrs or more on at least one cycle per night.

Last night I got closed to 5 hours on a sleep cycle 4:55 and broke the 7-hour barrier. So I have worked up at 4-month report for my doctor.

The longer sleep cycles seem to be reducing my insulin need. This may be coincidence. But I have had 4 hypoglycemic events in the last month and they all correlate with a 4 +hour sleep cycle. I plan to discuss this with him on my next visit.
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I slept 7 hours and I can't belove it
Congrats!
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations! I think it makes sense that your need for insulin would drop as you get more sleep. Bad sleep keeps cortisol levels high, which keeps your liver releasing stored sugar, because it thinks there's some emergency. Blood pressure should go down too, for the same reason, if that's an issue for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations, Orangebear. I'm glad to hear you are making progress.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 0rangebear,
That's great to hear, CONGRATULATIONS,! keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2016, 03:32 PM)0rangebear Wrote: I-love-Apnea-Board

118th Day of Therapy- Best night ever-Thanks Apnea Board
would not be at his point without your wisdom, insight, humor and hyperbole.

Grouphug3

I can’t remember ever sleeping 7 hours. I have always been fascinated by people who sleep 8 or 9 or even 10.

Typically, (prior to Therapy) I would sleep between 2:15 and 3 hours and then wake up, make some water, and go back to bed. It’s been that way as long as I can remember. I always though I slept well.

When I first went on therapy. My sleep cycle got screwed up by the therapy and I felt like crap. After about 7 weeks my sleep cycles normalized and I was back to my old sleeping cycle. I felt just like I did before therapy.

I continued to work on refining my sweet spot and improving the therapy. And whadoyaknow my sleep cycle started getting longer I started sleeping 3hrs or more on at least one cycle per night.

Last night I got closed to 5 hours on a sleep cycle 4:55 and broke the 7-hour barrier. So I have worked up at 4-month report for my doctor.

The longer sleep cycles seem to be reducing my insulin need. This may be coincidence. But I have had 4 hypoglycemic events in the last month and they all correlate with a 4 +hour sleep cycle. I plan to discuss this with him on my next visit.
Congrats to you, Orangebear, for being persistant and now it is paying off! If more people knew about the MULTIPLE organ systems that are adversely affected by poor sleep, more of them would be tested and treated for sleep disorders and morbidity/mortality rates would fall significantly in my opinion. So would usage of health insurance....hmm who benefits from all the ailing people?????
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting point; my blood pressure runs low around 100/60. I have not been watching it; maybe I should.

(04-23-2016, 04:17 PM)tmoody Wrote: Congratulations! I think it makes sense that your need for insulin would drop as you get more sleep. Bad sleep keeps cortisol levels high, which keeps your liver releasing stored sugar, because it thinks there's some emergency. Blood pressure should go down too, for the same reason, if that's an issue for you.

2004-Bon Jovi

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I slept 7 hours and I can't believe it
I have now had 4 nights of 7+ hours in a row. I may need to get an alarm clock. I have attached some indices where I broke out the events in the first night as well as showing the two sleep sessions.

All four nights I woke up once and had one sleep session over 4 hours

I look at he CA's and the OA's.
I am not seeing how they classified them differently. I think I understand the H. Maybe someone can explain the algorithms for these CA's and OA's that look alike to me.

Also, all my event are all 10 seconds: is that unusual? I went back though my 4 month history and my 3 sleep tests my longest event is 13 sec but 99% of them are 10 seconds

Anyone know if that means anything.
2004-Bon Jovi

Post Reply Post Reply
Stepping out on a limb here...do you usually see a "recovery breath" after your obstructive apneas but not after the events marked "central"?

No idea about the ten-second thing, just a little bit of envy. I am still having events occasionally that last around 30 seconds.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well this is the 7th day in row with 7+ hours sleep. I know it been more than 45 years I had slept more than 6.5 hours before last Friday: in any day.

I am not even sure I like sleeping this long it cuts in to my time for other things. Although, I have always wanted to sleep longer because everything I read says people how sleep 7 hours are the healthiest.

Two of the seven nights have been >1 AHI. I have attached a copy of one of the those nights. I had previous posted a redacted version of the other night > Hoping to get some feedback on the OA CA algorithms.

Is there any evidence of Rem sleep in this Chart?
2004-Bon Jovi

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 281 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 248 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 470 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 668 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 277 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 490 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Consistently Waking Up After ~3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 439 01-20-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.