GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

RE: I snore, therefore I mouth breath?
Prior to using cpap therapy my husband claimed he could hear my snoring in the basement which is directly under our bedroom. From time to time he will tell me in the morning, "I could hear you snoring last night, did you remove your mask?" About 95% of the time now since using the P10 mask and medium pillows, hubby does not complain about me snoring. He is pleased to be able to get a good night's sleep w/o listening to my snoring.
03-13-2015 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mr. Van Winkle Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: Airsense
CPAP Pressure: 9 -15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

(03-13-2015 12:39 PM)ClarkK Wrote:  I was a snoring mouth breather before CPAP -- now I'm so quiet on nasal pillows with my mouth shut, my wife checks to see if I'm still breathing.

Yep same here use to Rock the House, Now the Wife does that, I sleep like a baby, yes I feel the wife hand on my chest once and awhile so I know she's checkin. Smile, Total nose breather now.
Sleep-well
03-13-2015 03:17 PM
sumzzzs Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PRS1 BiPap Auto 750P
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro.
Humidifier: PR System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 EPAP 15 IPAP

Other Comments:

Hmm, now you guys have me thinking I can actually make the change, I'm glad I raised this question. My numbers have gotten progressively better in the 3.5 months of CPAP. I'm finally seeing AHI under 5. A few nights anyways, any chance moving to nasal pillows will help my AHI?
03-14-2015 01:21 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: VPAP-S
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(03-14-2015 01:21 AM)sumzzzs Wrote:  Hmm, now you guys have me thinking I can actually make the change, I'm glad I raised this question. My numbers have gotten progressively better in the 3.5 months of CPAP. I'm finally seeing AHI under 5. A few nights anyways, any chance moving to nasal pillows will help my AHI?

I have found that wearing a full face mask increases my AHI and results in the need to increase pressure vs. wearing the cloth nasal mask or nasal pillow mask. Obviously, I can't guarantee that wearing nasal pillows will help your AHI but I don't think my experience is uncommon.

49er
03-14-2015 01:37 AM
MartensGrove Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Escape
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Swift FX
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: "Fed up with briiiick!!!"

For all you folks who don't know you snore - if you've got a phone that can record (surely that's all of 'em now?), record yourself at night. I have a smartphone (Samsung S4) that has a voice recording app and plenty of space as long as you remember to clear off old files, and can record several full nights of sleep. My recording format of preference is m4A as seems best quality.

For analysis, I copy the files to my PC and use AVS Audio Editor (you can open files in the free version to look at) and check the waveforms for when things are going on. Helps a lot.
03-14-2015 05:05 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

I used the sleep bot app on my iPhone. It dutifully recorded my wife and dog snoring, but it turns out I don't produce audible noise while on the machine. A good screening device, but I didn't find it useful enough to keep.

03-14-2015 08:07 AM
MartensGrove Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Escape
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Swift FX
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: "Fed up with briiiick!!!"

I've tried these movement recording type apps, and also didn't find them useful enough. Particularly that they cut out the silences on the audio track and I'm sure they don't pick up movement that well. What I use is just a simple audio recorder. Creates a 300mb odd file on M4a format but if seen in an audio editor like AVS or Audacity, you can find your non-breathing events - importantly the long silences. That's how I twigged I definitely had SA. Having a recording of yourself snoring like a trooper and then going silent for 1 min 20s then suddenly gasping for breath is a bit disconcerting to say the least. I'm using the same process now to spot mouth breathing with my pillows. When my oximeter is delivered I'll match all the data up and see what I hear Big Grin .
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2015 09:31 AM by MartensGrove.)
03-14-2015 09:31 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Don't know about all this.... Yesterday when we were out I left my video camera on to record what the puppies were up to while being "home alone." Then when we came back, I copied the files to my computer and played the beginning of the recording. The little one got terrifically upset! My goodness, she was distraught! I'm not sure if she was upset because of the little dog that somehow got trapped in my computer, or if she was that indignant over having her "space" violated. But whatever, it took a long time to calm her down. I guess I'm going to have to move my computer to the garage if I want to hear the "puppy movie."

Anyhow, back on point: I'm just not sure how she might react if I were to record me and put it in the computer. On the other hand, she might think it's fine that I would be locked up with that other dog.
03-14-2015 12:01 PM
brianwood619 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 16-22cm/h2o

Other Comments:

If the seal fails on my face mask or the cpap stops during the night because of power failure......the neighbors call 911 thinking there's an earthquake going on.....Lol
03-14-2015 05:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
TheManseHen Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: RedMed A10 Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: One that came with machine
CPAP Pressure: 7.6-14.0 EPR 3

Other Comments: Started C-pap Boxing Day 2014. Tortured sleep more or less since 2000. Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Sex: Female

(03-13-2015 12:20 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  Since beginning cpap therapy, one of the nice results is I no longer have to have the bedroom ceiling re-plastered everytime I take a nap.

I think as Sleeprider pointed out, you can snore with your mouth closed or open. Certainly in my case I was an equal opportunity snorer.

I do not do that anymore. Thank you Mr. Cpap.

It stopped when I got the apnea controlled. First using a nasal mask and full face mask, then moving to a pillows mask. I've been using the P10 just about since it came out and I don't see any re-occurrence of snoring on my charts.

Sometimes your chart will show "snoring" when actually something else, like mask leaks, is going on.

But, if you need confirmation and since you don't have a partner right now, we could ask "Mansehen" to pop over and listen outside your bedroom window...........

Good one Retired Guy, ceiling plaster!

I could listen outside the window for sure but that wouldn't tell us if his mouth is open or not, cause we've had sworn testimony here that some folk snore with their cake holes shut. That said perhaps he could ask the Lunesta Moth to flutter by and see if it's open?

Why does the OP want to know if their mouth is open? I personally believe one can learn to more or less keep mouth shut in order to use nasal pillows, at the very least with chin straps. It is certainly worth a try before assuming full face maskdom.

The Hen, now taking bookings for window listenings but I've got to be back to the coop before the rooster crows!
03-17-2015 04:58 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bite Guard for Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 11 467 11-29-2016 11:46 AM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  [CPAP] Mouth slips below mask Carbonate 5 242 11-28-2016 07:35 AM
Last Post: jimscott3
Angry [Treatment] Dry Mouth Question Turborob2005 5 297 11-15-2016 10:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 31 1,013 11-15-2016 08:25 PM
Last Post: chill