Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I snore, therefore I mouth breath?
RE: I snore, therefore I mouth breath?
I could rattle the windows, bring down the ceiling, and frighten the neighbors with my snoring. Even got complaints when I stayed in hotels. But my mouth never opened. Not even when the event ended and I took that big breath.

If you want to use nasal pillows, just get them. If the data or your dry mouth says you are opening your mouth, use a chin strap for a while.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If some of us snore with our mouths closed, what is the point of having a chin strap with our mask ?
Post Reply Post Reply
The chin strap doesn't have anything to do with snoring per se'. It's about helping us reduce leaks by helping us to keep our mouths closed while we sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you do not open your mouth at night (mouth breathe), then you don't need one. I didn't wear one for years. I still don't necessarily breathe through my mouth but rather leak through my lips. The chin strap doesn't always help stop this, though.

Go a night without one then look at your data. If see high-ish leaks that have flat-ish tops, that's probably a mouth leak. But keep in mind that low leaks, as in way down below 10, because of how SH graphics work, they will all look flat top and block-ish. But that low it won't matter what kind of leak it is, really.

[Image: mouth-leak_zpsphdfzsjb.jpg]

Regular leaks will look more spiky.

[Image: reg-leaks_zpsflhubipg.jpg]
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 36 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 380 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 807 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,166 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.