Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I snore, therefore I mouth breath?
I snore, therefore I mouth breath?
Is that not a true statement? The reason I ask is that I would really like to be able to use nasal pillows. I'm really not sure I still snore, I have no sleeping partner but I always have. Sleepyhead tells me I snore. A lot of you seem to have so much success with pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I snore, therefore I mouth breath?
(03-12-2015, 10:39 PM)sumzzzs Wrote: Is that not a true statement? The reason I ask is that I would really like to be able to use nasal pillows. I'm really not sure I still snore, I have no sleeping partner but I always have. Sleepyhead tells me I snore. A lot of you seem to have so much success with pillows.

I don't think that's true, although there might be a tendency to open your mouth if you snore. I can do a fairly convincing "waking snore" with my mouth closed.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never open my mouth using my P10 pillows (since I have a flat 0 leak rate all night), but I do have snores recorded on my PRS1 Auto.

So I guess I do snore with my mouth closed.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2015, 12:27 AM)AshSF Wrote: I never open my mouth using my P10 pillows (since I have a flat 0 leak rate all night), but I do have snores recorded on my PRS1 Auto.

So I guess I do snore with my mouth closed.

Same here.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
Mrs Mongo snores like a chainsaw. Yet her mouth is closed.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My hubby says I used to snore before CPAP, but now he doesn't hear me snore, and I know I don't open my mouth with my P10...but the PRS1 seems to hear snores.
I hate seeing those snores on my data!
Sleep-on-pillow
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to snore with my mouth closed before cpap. It was like a deep guttural rumble. I use a nasal mask with no mouth leak problems at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Snoring is the vibration of the soft tissues in the back of the throat and is associated with obstructive apnea. It can occur with the mouth closed or open. When it progresses to a full apnea, the person will usually open their mouth reflexively and take in a large breath, often accompanied by a loud snore as the air passage opens. Most people with OA snore. Most can sleep with their mouth closed when treated.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since beginning cpap therapy, one of the nice results is I no longer have to have the bedroom ceiling re-plastered everytime I take a nap.

I think as Sleeprider pointed out, you can snore with your mouth closed or open. Certainly in my case I was an equal opportunity snorer.

I do not do that anymore. Thank you Mr. Cpap.

It stopped when I got the apnea controlled. First using a nasal mask and full face mask, then moving to a pillows mask. I've been using the P10 just about since it came out and I don't see any re-occurrence of snoring on my charts.

Sometimes your chart will show "snoring" when actually something else, like mask leaks, is going on.

But, if you need confirmation and since you don't have a partner right now, we could ask "Mansehen" to pop over and listen outside your bedroom window...........

Post Reply Post Reply
I was a snoring mouth breather before CPAP -- now I'm so quiet on nasal pillows with my mouth shut, my wife checks to see if I'm still breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.