Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I think I have a brick???
I think I have a brick???
CPAP noob here who suspects he did not ask the right questions. My DME set me up with a Philips Respironics System One REMstar SE CPAP Flex machine w/ Respironics system 1 heated humidifier. All seems well with the function of the device after a change to a F&P Simplus full face mask on day two of use. I generically inquired into data storage and download capability when I visited the DME and was told that the machine did store downloadable data on the provided SD card. After exploration of function and options I'm now suspecting that the only data that is stored might be used to document compliance to my medicare provider. My cardiologist wanted me to get on a CPAP machine as soon as the study was completed and I clearly did not spend enough time exploring the finer points of the available technologies.

Can anyone confirm that the data storage capability of the REMstar SE is limited to insurance compliance usage measurements. I'm not sure if the DME or Humana will allow an upgrade at this point but I'm only three days into the "rental" so they might. If so, which Respironics machine should I ask for.

If they will allow an upgrade, can anyone provide a link to an overview of what the individual user can do with the data and whether or not Mac OS X compatible software is available for assessment of the data.

Many thanks...

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I think I have a brick???
Welcome to the forum.

You have found a great resource for sleep apnea related information. I can not comment on your CPAP because I am not familiar with the Philips CPAPs but there are plenty of people on this board who are so hang in there.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi critterdoc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It seems to me like I read here on the board that that machine is indeed a "brick" it only records compliance data. You might try to exchange it for a data-capable machine since you haven't had it very long.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
who suspects he did not ask the right questions.

Wecome to Apnea Board. Yep it's a brick just compliance data. Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 04:11 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi critterdoc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It seems to me like I read here on the board that that machine is indeed a "brick" it only records compliance data. You might try to exchange it for a data-capable machine since you haven't had it very long.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
I'm sure there will be a lot to learn about monitoring and assessment, but as a vet with 46 years of clinical experience experience I learned a long time ago that self-diagnosis and treatment can be hazardous to life. It suddenly occurred to me that I have no clue who would evaluate the data and recommend changes based on that data - the neurologist who ordered and assessed the result of the study and wrote the prescription, the RRT Clinican at the DME, or perhaps other yet to be determined options.

I have reason to believe that my apnea and snoring is significantly improved at 11 cm on this box after the first few nghts- according to Blondie and I've not been punched-n-rolled by my honey over the last few nights. So I want to better understand the importance of data collection and interpretation if my sleep patterns are already improved. I am a bit disappointed that neither the doc nor the RRT discussed that on their own but for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I learn more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 03:58 PM)critterdoc Wrote: Can anyone confirm that the data storage capability of the REMstar SE is limited to insurance compliance usage measurements.
I'm not sure if the DME or Humana will allow an upgrade at this point but I'm only three days into the "rental" so they might. If so, which Respironics machine should I ask for.
PRS1 SE is a brick (throw the brick through their shop front window) as well as machines with models numbers below 460
PRS1 Pro 460 and PRS1 560 Auto are data data capable machines
Model numbers printed on the label stuck at the bottom of the machine (remove water tank before checking)
Talk to your doctor write new prescription , example Phillips Respironcis system Auto 560, heated humidifier/heated tube ... and dispense as written' so the lousy DME do what been told. Your insurance pay for the machine by billing code same amount $$$ and only care about compliance (usage hours) and don,t care much about anything else.

PRS1 comparison guide http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....-guide.pdf
ResMed S9 specification http://www.resmed.com/au/products/produc...nc=dealers
Model name printed next to on/off button
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you're so early in the treatment and it's on a rental program, you may be able to get it swapped for either a DS460TS or a DS560TS. The TS is the heated humidification with heated hose. Both of those are full efficacy data machines. I would try hard to get the DS560TS if at all possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
The reasons you want a fully data capable machine is no one cares as much as you do about your health and well being.
Most doctors, DMEs and RRTs do not lok past complience data. no one bothers to check your success or failure using the CPAP machine.
When you learn to look at your data with the help of the folks here you will come to understand what it says and what it means.
As you monitor your results, you will learn to make adjustments to your machine to dial in your therapy for best results. If you are old enough to remember the fine tuning nob on your TV channel selector or tunining the knob on your radio, you will understand the process.

I agree you want a Phillips Resperonics System one DS560TS.
You may need to stand up and fight for it, but a year or 2 from now you will be glad you did.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 10:44 PM)bwexler Wrote: The reasons you want a fully data capable machine is no one cares as much as you do about your health and well being.
You may need to stand up and fight for it, but a year or 2 from now you will be glad you did.
critterdoc, bwexler is right. In my case the DME gave me an autoset because that's all they had but they disabled the autoset feature and, of course made no mention of the data recording capability. Supposedly this was because the sleep doc had prescribed straight CPAP. Without the forum, I might not have learned that I could enable the autoset and monitor my therapy.

It seems to me that the sleep "professionals" like to keep the patients in the dark. I suppose servicing ignorant patients is less work and glorifies the all-knowing providers. We're fortunate to have the forum. I wish you well in getting what you need.

Post Reply Post Reply
critterdoc,

Just thought I would let you know that "punched 'n rolled" has been previously called the "Elbow Alarm" on this forum just in case you want a cross reference!

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Brick" error in Oscar for Resmed Vauto? Sleeper512 5 1,147 12-14-2020, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeper512
  AirSense 10 "Brick!" Oscar issue cptnjoao 4 998 10-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] My Brick Report SkiSmuggs 13 2,338 07-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Last Post: SkiSmuggs
  Yet another BAMBOOZLED sucker - I got a brick, now what? Nicholas 42 6,482 05-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Nicholas
  Upgrade from brick stanleydean 9 1,980 03-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Guys I got a brick. UKwildcatfan 46 6,342 03-18-2017, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Mark71
  Dreamstation cpap brick to auto cpap. kadaroten 5 2,283 09-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.