Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I think I have a brick???
RE: I think I have a brick???
(04-07-2014, 12:22 PM)PaytonA Wrote: critterdoc,

Just thought I would let you know that "punched 'n rolled" has been previously called the "Elbow Alarm" on this forum just in case you want a cross reference!

PaytonA
Thanks for the heads up, Payton. The woman pumps no-nonsense Spartan blood and her Elbow Alarm is very much the equivalent of a controlled sword thrust. Yet I live on, as I develop an affinity for the knowledge and experience exchange that I perceive in this forum.

Doc

Post Reply Post Reply
OK Houston, we have touchdown, maybe.

First call was to the RTT/DME that set me up with the entry level REMstar SE who advised he would have to speak with the owner about moving me up to a data capable. Next call was to the doc who was not available today but the doc's "assistant" pushed back aggressively when I told her why I was calling and sounded like she was guarding territory right out the box - pushing hard on why, why, why and wanting me to justify what the desired machine would do that my SE would not. Reference to internet forums quieted that down, but she went so far as to tell me the cost would be higher - perhaps as much as $300/month! That is when my voice level and quality changed to a relative cool YGBSM tone. Shortly thereafter the RTT, who I was always comfortable with called me back and said that he he had spoken with the "assistant" and could do a direct exchange for a DS460 with heated humidifier and heated tubing for no increase in cost. That sounds reasonable particularly in view of the likelihood that the Doc's office will require a new prescription to move up from a CPAP to an APAP machine and they have already informed me that my options would be limited by the original prescription for a CPAP device.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DS460TS is a very capable CPAP machine with full efficacy data. If they're willing to direct exchange the unit you have for the 460TS it's a good trade.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2014, 02:04 PM)Bama Rambler Wrote: The DS460TS is a very capable CPAP machine with full efficacy data. If they're willing to direct exchange the unit you have for the 460TS it's a good trade.
Agreed and better than drawing lines in the dirt which I might regret in the future especially on the support side of the equation.

Post Reply Post Reply
That is probably a reasonable compromise, but my idea of a compromise is often simply, let's do it my way.

I was lucky enough to find this site before I got my first machine and knew exactly what I wanted.
I had a friendly doc write the prescription very specifically, then he sent me to his DME to get the same machine he used and I had preselected.

I don't settle for less when I am going to have to live with it for years.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2014, 09:38 PM)bwexler Wrote: That is probably a reasonable compromise, but my idea of a compromise is often simply, let's do it my way.

I was lucky enough to find this site before I got my first machine and knew exactly what I wanted.
I had a friendly doc write the prescription very specifically, then he sent me to his DME to get the same machine he used and I had preselected.

I don't settle for less when I am going to have to live with it for years.
I came away from this start-up experience with the impression that the relationship between sleep docs, sleep centers, and DMS is potentially incestuous when it comes to the bottom line. The process was moving quickly and all I can say is that I am fortunate to be nimble enough on my feet in the world of medicine and technology to have recovered with a machine I can live with without alienating the major player I depend on - the DME.

The fact that I am covered by medicare advantage, for as long as it lasts, gives me pause to stay cool and keep it out of the ditches as I learn while I go. The fact that my cost is $13/mo for thirteen months after which I own the machine, with supply benefits continuing, and a DME which thus far seems dedicated to their clientele gives me pause to stay cool and learn as I go.

The single thing that most caught my attention was when I called the sleep doc's office to speak with him about upgrading from an entry level machine. He was out, but she (his frosty take-charge receptionist) was in. Annoyed-and-disappointed When I stated the purpose of my call she responded with a litany of ad hominem challenges about my "intent" and "cost" which came to an abrupt halt when I asked her if medicare rules were not a controlling factor in cost-to-patient in this situation. Five minutes later I got a courteous call from the DMA advising that they were willing to upgrade to the 460TS! Pity the elderly and those who cannot represent themselves in similar healthcare environments.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I first got my vpap, I was told it would be the "auto" model. I shows up and it was the "S" model (still a fine machine, no brick, but I wanted the auto feature moving forward).

I discussed the issue with them, and they tried to tell me it would be more, and I would have to change prescriptions, and things to get me to take the "S" home with me that day. I insisted for the auto, and said I had no problem speaking with my doctor to get a new prescription. They called later that day and said the cost difference was almost nothing and they would NOT need my doctor to change the prescription over to an "auto" model.

Sometimes it's not about the bottom line as much as it is the person working that day just doesn't want to work more than they have to.

Critter, I'm glad you were able to get a nice unit. You really are the only person that will properly monitor the device, and you're handicapped without the proper data logging.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2014, 10:01 AM)Dgsr Wrote: When I first got my vpap, I was told it would be the "auto" model. I shows up and it was the "S" model (still a fine machine, no brick, but I wanted the auto feature moving forward).

I discussed the issue with them, and they tried to tell me it would be more, and I would have to change prescriptions, and things to get me to take the "S" home with me that day. I insisted for the auto, and said I had no problem speaking with my doctor to get a new prescription. They called later that day and said the cost difference was almost nothing and they would NOT need my doctor to change the prescription over to an "auto" model.

Sometimes it's not about the bottom line as much as it is the person working that day just doesn't want to work more than they have to.

Critter, I'm glad you were able to get a nice unit. You really are the only person that will properly monitor the device, and you're handicapped without the proper data logging.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I'd imagine that it won't be long before I start pondering my next step beyond the current machine but for now I'm enjoying the introduction to the Royal Order Of The Tube heads.

Post Reply Post Reply
That's HOSEHEADS, critterdoc. lol

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Just as an FYI, I see mentions of the 460 and 560, but the 550 is also a fully data capable machine. I use a 550 Auto. It does not use a heated hose, but I really don't feel the need for that anyway, I'm happy with just the heated humidifier, so I'm good with that. You also need to consider that depending on what model you get, a heated hose is more expensive than a regular hose and if you have to foot the bill for hose replacement once a year as recommended, you might want to look at costs of parts. Just a thought!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Brick" error in Oscar for Resmed Vauto? Sleeper512 5 1,147 12-14-2020, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeper512
  AirSense 10 "Brick!" Oscar issue cptnjoao 4 998 10-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] My Brick Report SkiSmuggs 13 2,337 07-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Last Post: SkiSmuggs
  Yet another BAMBOOZLED sucker - I got a brick, now what? Nicholas 42 6,481 05-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Nicholas
  Upgrade from brick stanleydean 9 1,980 03-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Guys I got a brick. UKwildcatfan 46 6,340 03-18-2017, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Mark71
  Dreamstation cpap brick to auto cpap. kadaroten 5 2,283 09-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.