Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I think a power surge shut off my machine.
I think a power surge shut off my machine.
Last night we had Gail force winds and I awoke finding myself not being able to breathe due to my Airsense 10 autoset was not working. The power was still on, no indication of any lapse time on the clocks. I unplugged the machine and it turned on and everything was back to working again.

Could this have been a power surge ?  My unplugging it and plugging it back in did the trick.

Anybody have this happen to them?    If not, take this as a tip.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I think a power surge shut off my machine.
I have not had it happen to me. Was it a power surge? I don't know but if it was it'd probably fry something. Glad it didn't.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you use a power surge strip?  This would be a good investment as it could prevent damage to your machine.  Treat your machine the same as other electronics.  I use power surge strips on everything, from TV to refrigerator, washer, dryer, computer, etc.

Glad your machine survived.  We had very high winds also.  I expected to lose electricity, but thank goodness, we didn’t.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I could have mentioned the power strip as well. I use one and zero issues so far. Blower price vs power strip...get a power strip, cheap insurance yes.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t have a power strip now, but I will very soon. I think those transformers or what ever they are that we plug in must have some safety device in them. But I won’t be taking that for granted.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd bet on cheap-o not so good power protection built-in on these things. Why? DME greed as good an answer as anything else. The more they sell, the better they are as the customer. No I don't think that manufacturers are quite that cheap, not with business reputation being on the line, but we really aren't their customer/consumer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think you should count on a transformer (AC/DC) to be protective of your machine. Many devices use these and can be fried in a power surge. In addition, I have found those adapters to be the most failure-prone part of the machine. I keep an extra new one just in case. I use a good power surge protector on my machine, and all expensive electronics.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
These machines use switching power supplies and can handle a lot of abuse on the power line.  Note that the input can be from 100 to 240 VAC.  That's so they can work in many countries and relatively "dirty" power.  I'd be concerned that there may be an intermittent problem with the power supply or PAP machine itself.  A spare power supply might not be a bad idea.

"Good deal" power strips and "surge" power strips basically do absolutely nothing but distribute power to whatever is plugged in.  These are the cheaper ones, $25 and less.  They mostly have nothing in them except a $0.25 MOV which is designed to short out and burn up in the event of a massive voltage spike which in turn is supposed to trip a built-in breaker or fuse - if the manufacturer decided to include one in the design.

The only power strips that actually protect your equipment are in the $75 and up range.

Here's the innards of your typical garden-variety "power strip", "surge protector", "surge strip".
There's nothing in it other than an MOV.  And to make things look really impressive, the manufacturers of these "surge protectors" usually plaster all the technical specs of the MOV all over the box so you think you're actual getting something special.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16696]

And here's what MOV's are designed to do.  They burn up when the incoming surge is a ridiculously high level.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16695]

So don't feel that your equipment plugged into one of these "surge protectors" is actually being protected from the gremlins your power company may deliver to your home.  They do absolutely nothing other than distribute the gremlins efficiently to whatever is plugged into it.

Spend $75 to $150 on a good one to protect your $1,000 PAP machine.  Unfortunately there is zero protection from cheaper power strips.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
That's food for thought on the cheap power strips. Thanks RayBee.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve had a few nights where I’ve woken up struggling to breathe due to power outages, and I adapted my setup so it wouldn’t bother me.

I now plug my PAP into a goal zero lithium battery (pure sine wave) which in turn is plugged into a surge protector. That way even if the power is lost or there is a surge I won’t even know!

I use a pilot-24 lite for traveling which is an amazing battery.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remote power button? JohnKoz 8 126 Yesterday, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,531 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 180 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,904 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 250 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,766 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 427 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.