Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I think a power surge shut off my machine.
RE: I think a power surge shut off my machine.
I just looked on goal zeros website, did you buy one of those auxiliary power stations?  I see there is a number of choices.

Can you give me some info on the one you have and how many run hrs it will run your pap. 

Thanks, I think this is a great idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2019, 11:25 AM)Nightynite Wrote: I just looked on goal zeros website, did you buy one of those auxiliary power stations?  I see there is a number of choices.

Can you give me some info on the one you have and how many run hrs it will run your pap. 

Just a quick thought...

Check out ResMed's Battery Guide for estimates on power consumption of your ResMed PAP machine.  They don't list the ASV specifically, but I would err on the high side and use specs for the AirSense AutoSet since the ASV is a pretty sophisticated machine.

Again, worst case (or most power hungry - heated hose and humidifier cranked up) it shows 5.61 Amps for a 12 volt battery.  That's 5.61 Amps x 12 volts for 67.3 Watts.  Multiplied by 8 hours sleep and that is 539 Wh (Watt-Hours).  Your mileage will vary depending on your settings.  And we don't know exactly what the ASV really consumes since it isn't on ResMed's chart.

So, assuming all this to be pretty close, I would search your favorite shopping site for portable power stations and look for something that can provide 500 Wh +/- depending on if you use a heated hose and humidifier.  If you don't use either of these then your ASV's power consumption may be as low as 175 Wh or so for an 8-hour night.  Just check the chart and see what is close for your usage and plug in the numbers as above.

There are lots of great choices on portable power stations and the holidays are coming up.  I have seen $500 units on sale for as cheap as $350 for a very limited time.

Stay away from those tiny battery packs that are a little bigger than a cell phone.  They spec 19,000 mAh or so, but that's pretty meaningless without knowing more info.  The 19,000 mAh one I looked up claims 95 Wh.  Which would run your machine for a little over an hour in "power hungry" mode. And maybe 4 hours in (turn off all heated accessories) mode.  And they have about $40 worth of batteries in them and $275 worth of lipstick to make them look pretty.  Not for a realistic choice for our ResMed machines - maybe for a tiny travel machine.

You can also get a 12 volt to 24 volt power adapter for your ResMed machine as my nephew uses when he goes camping.

I hope this helps.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
@Raybee, thank you so much, that’s great info. just what I was looking for. I’m definitely going to look into this and like you said the holidays with the shopping deals is the time to snag one of these.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 11:08 PM)RayBee Wrote: Spend $75 to $150 on a good one to protect your $1,000 PAP machine.  Unfortunately there is zero protection from cheaper power strips.

Any brand or product recommendations?
Post Reply Post Reply
I found this. All seem to be reasonably priced. Not sure though, if they are good enough.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3172540...ector.html
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2019, 11:25 AM)Nightynite Wrote: I just looked on goal zeros website, did you buy one of those auxiliary power stations?  I see there is a number of choices.

I use the yeti 1400 lithium.  I have previously used the 400 (lead acid - older model) but it won’t make it through the night when using humidification.   I do need humidification because CO is extremely dry.  The nice part is that it can be recharged via solar panels, the car, or plugged into the wall.   The 1400 is usually around 50% after 8 solid hours on my Aircurve 10 ASV with humidity, but I’ve only used it totally off battery when camping a few times and I often have a phone plugged in as well. 

Keep in mind using a battery with inverter is inefficient, and if you use a DC solution like the pilot-lite 24 you get a lot more mileage out of a smaller battery.  This reason is mainly why it serves as a backup by the bedside now. Either way, it ensures that when the power goes out you still get a good night of sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 11:08 PM)RayBee Wrote: So don't feel that your equipment plugged into one of these "surge protectors" is actually being protected from the gremlins your power company may deliver to your home.  They do absolutely nothing other than distribute the gremlins efficiently to whatever is plugged into it.

Spend $75 to $150 on a good one to protect your $1,000 PAP machine.  Unfortunately there is zero protection from cheaper power strips.

Totally agree with RayBee.  

Here is a pretty respected example of what will better protect thousands of dollars worth of TVs, etc.    Tripp Lite 1200W Power Conditioner.  Search for competitors to this product and you will have arrived at the real shopping market for end of line protection for your electronics.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=best+Hom...Protection

If your going to be in the house for a long time folks on my street are moving toward 'whole house surge protection' with two layers of whole house surge protectors before the power goes through breakers and down the 110V lines.    Has cost us $600-1800 to have an electrician install.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...mrc&uact=8

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2019, 03:05 PM)slowriter Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 11:08 PM)RayBee Wrote: Spend $75 to $150 on a good one to protect your $1,000 PAP machine.  Unfortunately there is zero protection from cheaper power strips.

Any brand or product recommendations?

Sorry for the delay, but I was out of town for a couple days.

Tripp Lite and APC have been around for a very long time. They seem to make a lot of model up and down the price and protection scale. This is really one of those situations where you get what you pay for.

Maybe rather than a specific recommendation, I can share how I hone down an overwhelming playing field of products.

If I was shopping for an outlet strip that offered real protection for my electronics, I'd start by looking at some of the mainstream makes and models.  Look at their star ratings and number of reviews.  I like to see a few hundred reviews, that way you know they are from real customers, not just friends of the vendor pumping up ratings. Then I focus on the bad reviews and see if its mostly stupid stuff like "it's gray and doesn't match my curtains, so I give it one star". Unfortunately this happens way too often, so I cast those bad reviews aside.  Also, just about any product has a few bad apples that reach customers.  Amazon makes it simple and worry-free when it comes to returns and exchanges.  Off-the-shelf defects happen, so long-term problems are more concerning to me.

On power conditioning strips, I would boil my list down to a few items based on reviews first and price second (within reason).  Then I would look up the specific item on the manufacturer's website and try to see photos if its innards.  Basically, to the untrained eye, the more protective/conditioning "stuff" inside, the better.  I've been in the electronics field for 40+/- years, so this is the easiest telltale sign.

On portable power stations, I would use the same process.  On a ResMed 10 series PAP machine with humidifier and heated hose in use, I'd probably go with a 500 Wh minimum station for one night - sans utility power.  Subtract the price of your protective/conditioning power strip and figure that as the cost to upgrade to a full-on battery-backed-up PAP machine.  And the coming holiday sales makes it even a sweeter deal.  If using the humidifier without heated hose, maybe 400 to 450 Wh would be adequate for one night.

The nice thing about portable power stations is that you can use them with other devices during brief power outages, like maybe your desktop computer and your ISP's router.  Or when you go camping.

The hardest thing about all this is that we have a lot of great choices out there.  And we have to make a choice.

Coffee
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,788 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 228 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,406 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 403 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,144 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 980 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 870 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.