Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I think my machine is starting to die
I think my machine is starting to die
Have a SystemOne 50 Bipap Auto for not quite 5 years now. Always works just fine at the fixed pressures they prescribed me a zillion years ago.

In the last couple of days I notice that when I turn it on, the ramp light lights, then the waves icon and maybe the humidifier number (not positive). Meanwhile on the screen it flashes the firmware version and "data activity: do not remove card" and then my exhale pressure. It will do a half second of air push and then start the cycle all over again.

It eventually starts therapy but this makes me nervous (ie the beginning of the end). Seems it may take a minute or so before it starts actually running and once its warmed up, seems to run okay.

The SD card is fine and there are no error messages, just this behavior. I have found nothing on it anywhere - any suggestions from anyone??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I think my machine is starting to die
The DS750 auto BiPAP has one manufacturing fault that can lead to some pretty weird behavior. The mainboard over the pressure sensors is not secured with a screw. The later generations of that machine had a firm attachment. This is a pretty easy fix, and might be something to try before you jump into a new machine. That said, it would make me nervous not having a backup machine with failures like that going on. Here is a link to a prior post I made describing the problem and the fix. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid118598

Would you be looking to purchase a used or discounted machine, or go through your insurance? We could maybe point you to some discount sources if it is the former. If using insurance, I would get in contact with your last supplier as soon as possible, and let them know you will be needing a new machine. They will tell you if you need an updated prescription or study.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2016, 10:55 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The DS750 auto BiPAP has one manufacturing fault that can lead to some pretty weird behavior. The mainboard over the pressure sensors is not secured with a screw. The later generations of that machine had a firm attachment. This is a pretty easy fix, and might be something to try before you jump into a new machine. That said, it would make me nervous not having a backup machine with failures like that going on. Here is a link to a prior post I made describing the problem and the fix. <can't quote this, I'm too new Smile >

Would you be looking to purchase a used or discounted machine, or go through your insurance? We could maybe point you to some discount sources if it is the former. If using insurance, I would get in contact with your last supplier as soon as possible, and let them know you will be needing a new machine. They will tell you if you need an updated prescription or study.

Thanks for the reply and the info!!

I went to the supplier today and the machine wasn't even getting as far as I got it to work. They pronounced it dead so they gave me a loaner (Dreamstation) until I can get a repair or replace subscription from my doctor. That being said, now that I do have a backup, I'm going to look into that fix!!

As far as insurance vs discount, it seems the dreamstation isn't very expensive. They'll charge me $150/month (I have a high deductible plan) so I'm thinking I might be better off just buying it outright (I saw price of ~$600 for dreamstation + humidifier online). They just gave my wife (newly prescribed) an airsense apap but those seem a little pricier. We're still trying to figure out how to get an airsense for her, but that's another discussion. Smile

So, back to the point - if you've got any good suggestions for discounts (don't really want to do used), I'm all proverbial ears!

Post Reply Post Reply
For auto CPAP, search for "Dreamstation Auto 500" on Amazon. Quoted at $350 today. Prices change daily.
If you saw a Dreamstation Auto BiPAP 700 series for $600, that sounds very good. I see a DSX700T11 on amazon for $767, and the picture is of a 60 series model. Pretty sure the image is just an error, but check with the seller to be sure. If you can get the auto bilevel rather than the fixed BiPAP Pro, I would certainly recommend it. The auto gives automatic pressure and pressure support adjustments.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2016, 05:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: For auto CPAP, search for "Dreamstation Auto 500" on Amazon. Quoted at $350 today. Prices change daily.
If you saw a Dreamstation Auto BiPAP 700 series for $600, that sounds very good. I see a DSX700T11 on amazon for $767, and the picture is of a 60 series model. Pretty sure the image is just an error, but check with the seller to be sure. If you can get the auto bilevel rather than the fixed BiPAP Pro, I would certainly recommend it. The auto gives automatic pressure and pressure support adjustments.

Thanks again. I need a bipap, so, yeah, it's considerably more. And I saw the one you listed - the title is misleading - the part number and product description are actually the 60 series like you said.

By the way, I opened up my old one and saw exactly what you were talking about with the mounting screw. Made perfect logical sense, so I tried it (had the right screw laying around). Unfortunately it didn't help. Glad I have a backup now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi doncaruana,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully you can find a good deal on the machine you want.
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
So now that I have a loaner until I can talk to the doctor, I'd like to get my old unit repaired - or at least think about it. I contacted one of the place on the supplier list and they said for me to mail it to them for a free estimate. Not real comfortable with mailing it across the country with no idea, so I'm wondering if anyone has any guesses on what I should expect to have to pay for something like this. Any ideas/thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're talking about Supplier #27, they have an excellent reputation and are very up-front in providing an estimate. Your risk is the cost of shipping. That said, it is rare for it to be economical to repair a used machine, especially one of that age. Consider you can buy a replacement on Craigslist that is newer, or even from Supplier #2 with a warranty, and either of those options would likely cost less than a main-board replacement.

It is very hard to diagnose something like this over the phone. If you assume it may not be economical to fix, you won't be disappointed to learn your were correct, and pleasantly surprised to find it can be.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Got a repair or replace script from my doctor today, but I'm having some thoughts about this and wondering if anyone can chime in.

From a normal state, when you plug the machine in, it comes up to the regular menu.

As soon as it starts therapy, it blows a puff of air and then shuts down and restarts again. This time, it will flash the firmware and Phillips Respironics, then it will start to try the blower again and, as soon as it blows that puff of air, starts the same cycle over.

Now, if just as it starts the blower, I push down on the knob, it takes me back to the menu. If I unplug it at this point and plug it back in, it will come to the menu and work normally...until I tell it to start therapy.

I was experimenting with it a bit and I could actually get it to shut off by manipulating the cord a little. So I'm thinking that the problem may be the actual adapter and it's failing when the blower needs to draw the heavy power - this thing is 5 amps! That's a massive amount for a DC appliance!

Unfortunately, the local place didn't have any to try this evening when I swung by so I have to wait until tomorrow. But in the meantime, I was hoping to throw this out and see if anyone had any thoughts on if my theory makes any sense.

Wish me luck - a $40 adapter vs $1500 in rentals is a lot more appealing financially!
Post Reply Post Reply
AC adapters are not expensive for PRS1 machines. You can buy the whole heated hose kit for 60 series machines and get a new 90 watt AC adapter, lid and hose for $70. If you were close I have several.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 18 850 04-16-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 167 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,338 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 0 75 04-13-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  Starting Again wxmcpo 10 137 04-10-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 14 843 03-30-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: redking2436
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 361 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.