Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I think my machine is starting to die
RE: I think my machine is starting to die
(01-03-2017, 07:56 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: AC adapters are not expensive for PRS1 machines. You can buy the whole heated hose kit for 60 series machines and get a new 90 watt AC adapter, lid and hose for $70. If you were close I have several.

Wish I was close! I take it from your signature you're in PA some where.

I checked my venerable machine (incidentally, a 50 series) and I have 11,955 of blower hours on this! Holy cow!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had over 19,000 hours on a M-series before I retired it (still working). I went through a period of CPAP acquisition where I bought a 60 series auto for $200, a 60 Series BiPAP Auto for $300, and then got my first insurance replacement since 2008, a Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto. I sold the auto CPAP with only 300 hours on it, so I'm down to two machines that are reliable. I'll never worry about a breakdown.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It was the A/C adapter!! My venerable old System One is still chugging along - I went back to it last night.

Now the question I have is should I go ahead with the replace (if they decide to just replace vs repair it since it's 5 years old and don't send it out) or should I just keep running my machine?

If I get a new one, I have a good working "backup". It will cost me a bundle though and I'm not sure it's worth it to have a backup when the DME supplier is as good as they are (I walked in Friday and they gave me a loaner). On the other hand, since we already have to pay for my wife's, maybe I should go all in now. Once we get past the deductible things are much cheaper.

Any advice from anyone?
Post Reply Post Reply
What's a bundle? An auto bilevel capable of your current pressures are pretty expensive through the DME channel, but I have purchased on Craigslist and seen quite a few deals for pretty decent prices.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2017, 04:36 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What's a bundle? An auto bilevel capable of your current pressures are pretty expensive through the DME channel, but I have purchased on Craigslist and seen quite a few deals for pretty decent prices.

$153/month until I meet my $3700 deductible, after which it will cost me $15/month. We'll be paying $90/month for my wife's new machine in the meantime ($9/month after deductible there).

The benefit is that the numbers get pushed through to other expenses. And we always use up our deductible. So I'd be sort of "investing" in lowering my other medical costs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don, what part of the country are you in?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Detroit area
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2017, 05:27 PM)doncaruana Wrote: Detroit area

You have a lot of options...just say'in:
Resmed Aircurve 10 vAuto for $600 with 630 hours.
Aircurve 10 (model not specified) $550 new
S9 VPAP auto (used) $300 in White lake
Dreamstation BiPAP Auto $1000 new McComb
PRS1 BiPAP Auto 760 new $475 McComb

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2017, 06:00 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(01-05-2017, 05:27 PM)doncaruana Wrote: Detroit area

You have a lot of options...just say'in:
Resmed Aircurve 10 vAuto for $600 with 630 hours.
Aircurve 10 (model not specified) $550 new
S9 VPAP auto (used) $300 in White lake
Dreamstation BiPAP Auto $1000 new McComb
PRS1 BiPAP Auto 760 new $475 McComb

I assume that's craigslist? Thanks for looking that up!!

Here's what's messed up...

Just playing with numbers on expected medical costs for the year and it looks like it would actually not cost me anything by the end of the year because of the way it pushes around my other costs. That sure as heck is counter-intuitive...need to look at it closer...
Post Reply Post Reply
I have zero deductible on my current equipment. My math is so easy it's ridiculous. After years of scrounging for good deals, it's become second nature. Do what is right for you, but I'm glad there are options like this. Sort of a medical anarchist.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 669 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 630 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 4 474 11-20-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 400 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,135 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.