Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I think my mask is causing eye bags when I wake up
I think my mask is causing eye bags when I wake up
The bags under my eyes after using my CPAP are really awful looking.

I did a search about eye bags and CPAP and it seems to be a common issue. One theory is air leakage irritating eyes (don't think that's my case), another theory is air pressure pushing out through the little ducts in the eyes (not sure about that one - I don't feel anything if that's the case), my theory is it might actually be my mask (the DreamWear) because the way it goes on, in order to get a decent seal, the tubes going around the sides of my face put some pressure on the area underneath my cheekbones/eyes. Now it's not uncomfortable to wear it, but I'm thinking that could be a very good reason for the puffiness...I already have bags/dark circles due to allergies most of my life so I certainly don't want to make them worse! Sad

I do really like the nasal cushions though, so I was considering returning the Dreamwear (I have free insurance on it) and trying the Breeze Sleepgear Nasal w/Dreamseal because the cushions are only on the nose and the tube goes in front of my face instead of the side, so in theory, no pressure on the under eye area. I mean I don't really like the idea of a tube in front of my face, but if it saves me from getting eye bags, I think it would be worth it.

Any opinions? Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I think my mask is causing eye bags when I wake up
Hi. I just wanted to make sure that you realize that the Breeze mask you're talking about is a nasal mask and not nasal pillows like you have now. It has a triangular nasal cushion that forms a seal around and under your nose.

The terminology used by mask manufacturers can be confusing. I have seen the term "cushion" used about masks like the DreamWear or the Nuance Pro nasal pillows mask, because their nasal pillows are of a different design than traditional nasal pillows masks like the AirFit P10.

Re your question about the tube in front of the face, I have used the Wisp nasal mask which has the same design. You can see the tube when you're awake. It's kind of in the way if you try to put on glasses. It didn't bother me at all when I was sleeping, though.

(06-27-2016, 12:40 AM)cpap4uars Wrote: The bags under my eyes after using my CPAP are really awful looking.

I did a search about eye bags and CPAP and it seems to be a common issue. One theory is air leakage irritating eyes (don't think that's my case), another theory is air pressure pushing out through the little ducts in the eyes (not sure about that one - I don't feel anything if that's the case), my theory is it might actually be my mask (the DreamWear) because the way it goes on, in order to get a decent seal, the tubes going around the sides of my face put some pressure on the area underneath my cheekbones/eyes. Now it's not uncomfortable to wear it, but I'm thinking that could be a very good reason for the puffiness...I already have bags/dark circles due to allergies most of my life so I certainly don't want to make them worse! Sad

I do really like the nasal cushions though, so I was considering returning the Dreamwear (I have free insurance on it) and trying the Breeze Sleepgear Nasal w/Dreamseal because the cushions are only on the nose and the tube goes in front of my face instead of the side, so in theory, no pressure on the under eye area. I mean I don't really like the idea of a tube in front of my face, but if it saves me from getting eye bags, I think it would be worth it.

Any opinions? Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2016, 07:37 AM)green wings Wrote: Hi. I just wanted to make sure that you realize that the Breeze mask you're talking about is a nasal mask and not nasal pillows like you have now. It has a triangular nasal cushion that forms a seal around and under your nose.

The terminology used by mask manufacturers can be confusing. I have seen the term "cushion" used about masks like the DreamWear or the Nuance Pro nasal pillows mask, because their nasal pillows are of a different design than traditional nasal pillows masks like the AirFit P10.

Re your question about the tube in front of the face, I have used the Wisp nasal mask which has the same design. You can see the tube when you're awake. It's kind of in the way if you try to put on glasses. It didn't bother me at all when I was sleeping, though.

Thank you! How did I not notice that? Arghh! I'm not so concerned about the comfort of a nasal mask, but I'm thinking that might still put pressure close to my eyes and could cause the same problem - although I did find a place I could purchase and return if I didn't like it.

I don't want the pillows that stick in your nose...I want the design I have now...an open slot that seals against your nose, but with the tube coming up in front of my face and no side straps. Can't find one yet Sad Do you know if the DreamWear is the only one like that??

Thanks green wings.
Post Reply Post Reply
The type of mask where the interface is directly with your nostrils comes in three types that I know of. There's the type you have now, which doesn't have any protrusions. The Philips Respironics Nuance Pro Gel has that sort of design. There may be others that I don't know of.

Those masks are a refinement of nasal pillows, which are a design like the AirFit P10 (optional For Her). Those have two small oval protrusions that fit at the entrance to your nostrils.

The third type is called nasal prongs. Awful name, huh? They do go up your nose a bit. I think those must be the oldest design.

Two other nasal pillow masks that I know of but haven't tried on are the Pilairo and the Bella.

If you are ordering the type of nasal pillows mask that has detachable pillows that come in different sizes, the kit that you order initially will usually have 3 different sizes of pillows in it. You just experiment to find the right size.

You're probably realizing by now that this whole mask fitting thing is highly individual.

Oh, the hose-over-the head thing. The Nuance Pro has a loop on the top of the headgear so that you can route the hose up there. The loop is off-center, though, which is less than ideal.

The mask I used for the first 5 months of CPAP use (Wisp Nasal mask) routed the hose overhead. I was worried about switching to a mask that didn't have that option. I've discovered, though, that you can lift the hose and tuck it behind your pillow and it has much the same effect as having it attached to your headgear. Some people use CPAP hose hangers or a hook on the wall for this.

(06-27-2016, 02:41 PM)cpap4uars Wrote: Thank you! How did I not notice that? Arghh! I'm not so concerned about the comfort of a nasal mask, but I'm thinking that might still put pressure close to my eyes and could cause the same problem - although I did find a place I could purchase and return if I didn't like it.

I don't want the pillows that stick in your nose...I want the design I have now...an open slot that seals against your nose, but with the tube coming up in front of my face and no side straps. Can't find one yet Sad Do you know if the DreamWear is the only one like that??

Thanks green wings.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2016, 03:34 PM)green wings Wrote: The type of mask where the interface is directly with your nostrils comes in three types that I know of. There's the type you have now, which doesn't have any protrusions. The Philips Respironics Nuance Pro Gel has that sort of design. There may be others that I don't know of.

Those masks are a refinement of nasal pillows, which are a design like the AirFit P10 (optional For Her). Those have two small oval protrusions that fit at the entrance to your nostrils.

The third type is called nasal prongs. Awful name, huh? They do go up your nose a bit. I think those must be the oldest design.

Two other nasal pillow masks that I know of but haven't tried on are the Pilairo and the Bella.

If you are ordering the type of nasal pillows mask that has detachable pillows that come in different sizes, the kit that you order initially will usually have 3 different sizes of pillows in it. You just experiment to find the right size.

You're probably realizing by now that this whole mask fitting thing is highly individual.

Oh, the hose-over-the head thing. The Nuance Pro has a loop on the top of the headgear so that you can route the hose up there. The loop is off-center, though, which is less than ideal.

The mask I used for the first 5 months of CPAP use (Wisp Nasal mask) routed the hose overhead. I was worried about switching to a mask that didn't have that option. I've discovered, though, that you can lift the hose and tuck it behind your pillow and it has much the same effect as having it attached to your headgear. Some people use CPAP hose hangers or a hook on the wall for this.

I hate nasal prongs! Sad

I checked out the Nuance Pro Gel, Bella and Pilairo and they have straps under eye area too, so that won't work. How do you feel about the comfort level of nasal pillows? Was it something that took time to get used to or was it fast?

I think there are designs with nasal pillows (not the cushion I have now) that don't have face straps and go over the head, I just have to look again because I forgot.

Post Reply Post Reply
eye puffiness can be caused by sinus junk, air leakage, and lymph drainage issues, or a combination.

I use xlear before masking up, a p10 mask, and a caffeinated eye cream in the morning. I also found some youtube vids on manual lymph drainage for the face. the p10 lies just under the eyes on my face, and I do think it may contribute - but the combination of xlear and the caffeinated eye cream really help, alot!

Water retention with cpap is another issue that seems to be common. I use an EPR of 3 on my resmed S9 and that seems to help -- am considering asking for a Bilevel to get greater pressure relief - as PR is known to help with the water retention problem in those who exerience it.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2016, 05:09 PM)DariaVader Wrote: eye puffiness can be caused by sinus junk, air leakage, and lymph drainage issues, or a combination.

I use xlear before masking up, a p10 mask, and a caffeinated eye cream in the morning. I also found some youtube vids on manual lymph drainage for the face. the p10 lies just under the eyes on my face, and I do think it may contribute - but the combination of xlear and the caffeinated eye cream really help, alot!

Water retention with cpap is another issue that seems to be common. I use an EPR of 3 on my resmed S9 and that seems to help -- am considering asking for a Bilevel to get greater pressure relief - as PR is known to help with the water retention problem in those who exerience it.

Interesting Daria! Well, I decided to return my mask anyway because it was definitely a contributing factor. If I posted a pic of me wearing it (don't want to subject myself to the humiliation though, lol) you'd see how the side straps were pushing up on my cheeks and squishing my under eye area somewhat.

My nose has been in good shape lately (at least I thought). I have an RX antihistamine nasal spray and also use Nasacort. But I do have a tendency to wake up with slight puffiness anyway, this was just 3x as bad and felt awful.

What brand eye cream do you use? I might have to get some!
Post Reply Post Reply
Andalou Naturals, Luminous Eye Serum, Brightening is the one I have been using. the P10 does the same under the eyes - but controlling all the other stuff seems to mitigate it anyways. I can't praise the xylitol nasal spray enough - and longterm use of antihistamine spray is likely to backfire on you... just saying Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2016, 05:44 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Andalou Naturals, Luminous Eye Serum, Brightening is the one I have been using. the P10 does the same under the eyes - but controlling all the other stuff seems to mitigate it anyways. I can't praise the xylitol nasal spray enough - and longterm use of antihistamine spray is likely to backfire on you... just saying Big Grin

Thank you for the valuable info! I am going to get that cream...I need it either way and I remember caffeine is good for puffiness.

I'm currently considering the Swift LT For Her because the straps are much farther down on the face (at least it appears to be). If you've ever tried that one, let me know...
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried the Swift FX and the P10 only. the FX did not hit any lower than the P10, and the jetstream of air.... was *much* worse on my eyes than what I get through my lovely diffused little P10 (the diffuser is it's biggest selling point...)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 251 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 492 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Still wake up using CPAP urachan 3 313 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 405 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 272 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Low AHI - Why do I wake up? jkjsdflljkasdf9 3 406 02-05-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 473 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.