Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switched from APAP to BIPAP
RE: I've been using my APAP for a week, symptoms wors V2e.
It's hard to balance the obligations part and the sleep rhythm part, but I really am trying. Also, the hours on OSCAR have shifted 2 hours ahead from when I actually sleep. Changing the time zone settings on my CPAP act weird but it's not that much of an issue.

Also, should I change my minimum pressure to 11cmH2O to minimize my pressure gradients? Or, should I keep at 10cmH2O to have my body adjust? My median pressure seems to have been 10.5 for the past week btw.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO ride your current settings.
On flow limits, your high flow limits are during your awake periods, which, BTW, approach 50% of your sleep period. The Tidal and Minute Vent charts are showing awake (irregular breathing) for far more time than they should.
Your Apnea is NOT your problem now, your sleep hygiene is. Granted it was most likely caused by your apnea but the apnea is more or less solved. I guarantee you it will not be easy, habits are hard to change.
Post Reply Post Reply
No recommended changes, just time to adapt now. Median pressure will always be slightly higher than min pressure no matter what you set it at. 0.5 cm difference is nothing, if it was 3-4 cm higher then might consider adjustment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ended up changing the min pressure to 11cmH2O last night but will probably change it back. I ended up sleeping for an hour and a half without my machine since I subconsciously took my mask off. Mittens are expensive when I don't have a car to get stuff, so any other suggestoins would be appreciated. I feel utterly exhausted today even after drinking coffee and while I know its only been 2 weeks, I can't handle this much longer. I could explain my whole situation if needed, but its quite exceptional and I really need the energy to do the things I need to do. My results for last night are attached below. Let me know if there are any more tips so I can feel the way I did a few days ago - I know I can fix this sooner than later because I got a taste of what it was like to have energy and my brain back. 

Part 1:

[attachment=33377]

Part 2:

[attachment=33376]

Part 3 (Hour and a half after part 2 ended):

[attachment=33378]
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm wondering if there's some underlying health issue that's not being addressed it has yet to be diagnosed. I remember starting on my ASV and when therapy was doing well, surprisingly things started looking up after a few weeks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Leave the settings as they were. Your sleep disturbed breathing does not appear to be an issue at these settings, for example even during the period where you had flow limitations you slept for 20 minutes without an arousal and the majority of the night you were sleeping 20-40 minutes at a time uninterrupted. The only obvious issues with your sleep were that you started sleep at 8:20 AM (or whatever time that correlates to with clock errors) and only slept for 5 hrs then were up for 1.5 hrs before sleeping another 1.5 hrs. CPAP can't fix poor circadian rhythm issues, poor sleep hygiene, insomnia or lack of sleep it only helps when you are actually sleeping. The CPAP is working to help your breathing, now you need to take the extra steps to get your body back to a regular sleeping pattern and get enough sleep.

If your current symptoms are due to sleep disordered breathing it is just a matter of time now for your body to adjust to the better breathing and to start healing itself. If after a month or two you still haven't found the improvement you are looking for I would say your remaining symptoms are not related to sleep disordered breathing. Just my opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been wondering the same. My brain fog and corresponding symptoms have to come from somewhere. I've done a food allergy test and don't have any allergies. Pretty sure mental health isn't the cause, but rather the effect since I didn't have any major mental health issues growing up, and it's not prominent in my family. Stimulants didn't work and the lowest dose only made me more anxious and agitated. When the Adderall wore off I couldn't do anything but pass out in a pool of sleep-induced sweat. 

What makes me so sure that it's my sleep is that after sleeping for only 4 hours one day, with an AHI of 1.98, I felt absolutely amazing for the first 10 hours of the day - I got a glimpse of what it's like to have mental and physical energy. Also, while I haven't been diagnosed with it yet, I suspect I am gifted due to my corresponding traits and having taken a British version of an IQ test that scored me in the top 1.02% of the population. This probably explains my overall sensitivity and especially, sensitivity during sleep. I've been feeling tired for as long as I can remember, with my fatigue starting to get noticeable in High School. I do have chronic sinusitis and rhinitis, most likely a result of allergies and a deviated septum which could be contributing to my brain fog and head stuffiness/aches.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like anything else you try for the first time, wearing a CPAP mask can feel weird. But if you don’t get accustomed to wearing it, you’ll have trouble sleeping with it. Instead of putting it on right before you try to sleep, start by wearing it as much as you can before bedtime. If you’re sitting around the house relaxing during the day, wear it. Or even just try wearing it for an hour or so before you get into bed every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Christensen

I've been wearing my CPAP mask every day for at least an hour while awake to adjust to it. Subconscious me apparently likes taking it off after 4 hours of sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your breathing could be part of the picture but emphasis on part of the picture. That part appears to be improved but it still could take months to feel the full benefits.

The problem with some of this stuff is that it creates other issues that now need to heal and that takes time. Lack of sleep/poor quality of sleep affects every part of your bodies functionality, after months/years of this issue you can't expect it to fix itself overnight. It will take weeks if not months to feel the full benefits from starting CPAP use, stick with it and try to improve your other issues. If you treat all your symptoms you improve bodies ability to heal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,421 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,150 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.