Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switched from APAP to BIPAP
RE: I've been using my APAP for a week, symptoms wors V2e.
I figured that was the reason. I would be really curious if your congestion improves after dairy removal like mine did.

I have also had septoplasty and turbinate reduction which helped a bit but I still get the odd congestion at times (always at night) even with dairy removed and the surgeries. Finding the ideal humidity setting helps a bit (I still get some minor congestion but if I use a less ideal setting it can be much worse).

Mouth breathing is inefficient and could be part of the issue but we can't fix that with CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't end up going to the ENT since I had a lot of work to complete but rebooked my appointment for next week. I think my sleep has gotten better, but since I forgot to put my SD card back in my Apap 2 nights ago, I don't have any data for that night. Last night was frustrating, as workers were using drills and hammering right outside my room, waking me up which eventually led to me taking off my mask and sleeping for around 5 hours without it. I do have results for the first 3 hours of sleep and they seem promising. My only issue is that I have to make the straps for my mask really tight for no leakages to occur at a possibly max pressure of 16cmH2O. Because of that, taking off my mask is much more likely. 

I'm hoping I can get a full set of results tonight as I may tape my mask to my face to avoid removal. 

[attachment=33609]
Post Reply Post Reply
I see you list the F20 mask. And you're falling in the trap of "it leaks so I have to tighten the straps". I will now suggest a different mask. If you have to overtighten the straps to control leaks and then later take the mask off, you are now setting yourself up to fail. I am not saying you need to do exactly as I did in replacing the F20 with the Fisher & Paykel Vitera, but you need to stop now, replace the F20 and do this right.

Pointer 2, I also used to sleep with PAP then sleep some without. STOP this too. When I did that myself, I would begin to feel better for using the PAP, but as soon as I fell asleep without it, I lost all benefits for the earlier use of PAP.

So I put it to you again, stop and rethink this. You are setting yourself for a fail. Replace the F20 ASAP and either use the PAP or don't but not sometimes yes sometimes no.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will counter argue that point a bit. At first I felt like my F20 straps were very tight but I quickly got used to the feeling. I do wake up with some marks on face due to tightness of straps/mask but it doesn't really cause any issues now that I am used to it.

Those first 3 hrs of data were good AHI wise considering the 3 EPR (only 1 potential apnea, first two were not real), will be interesting to see what a full night of data looks like.
Post Reply Post Reply
To Sarcastic Dave, I requested to get a different cushion size for my previous f30i mask, but because of my insurance, I still have to wait another week till I can make an order. However, I will take a look at the Fisher and Paykel mask and judge the difference between that and the Airtouch f20. Judging by tomorrow's results, I'll ask whether I should adjust my max pressure so that I can avoid further discomfort with my mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that you don't need to get a F&P mask specifically. What I'm meaning is if the ResMed F20 leaks so much that you feel you can't stop it from leaking unless you torque the straps down, then replace the F20 with any other mask. There's several aspects that go into a properly fitted mask: the cushion and sometimes the headgear size, the cushion shape, the type of mask (full, hybrid, nasal, pillows) and the overall design in comparison to your face shape. Getting the right mask combination of these aspects is the hardest part of PAP therapy. There's only a few brands of machines, and only a few machine types comparatively.

PS if you get the best for you mask, it will take all the pressure your PAP can create with minimal, controlled leaks and be comfortable.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I managed to wear the mask and sleep through most of the 'night' with it. I didn't end up recording the last 3 hours since I forgot to put the SD card back in my machine, after a very hazy attempt to wake up and look at my results. I feel terrible. Despite the nice weather and having no clothes on to make me feel warm, I've woken up quite sweaty, which in my history of leaving a 'sweat-illouette' on my bed after some bad sleep, I know my SDB was bad. Here are the results for interpretation.

Part 1: Ignore the first hour of being awake.

[attachment=33625]

Part 2:

[attachment=33626]
Post Reply Post Reply
Like I said a good chance would give bad results. More pressure or EPR is only good if it helps otherwise it does more damage then good.

EPR of 2 seems best for you. Lower pressure ranges are probably better too. I would be tempted to go all the way down to a 8-12 range and see how that feels now that you have tried higher pressure for a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Should I do a max of 12cmH2O or 13cmH2O?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2021, 01:31 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Note that you don't need to get a F&P mask specifically. What I'm meaning is if the ResMed F20 leaks so much that you feel you can't stop it from leaking unless you torque the straps down, then replace the F20 with any other mask. There's several aspects that go into a properly fitted mask: the cushion and sometimes the headgear size, the cushion shape, the type of mask (full, hybrid, nasal, pillows) and the overall design in comparison to your face shape. Getting the right mask combination of these aspects is the hardest part of PAP therapy. There's only a few brands of machines, and only a few machine types comparatively.

PS if you get the best for you mask, it will take all the pressure your PAP can create with minimal, controlled leaks and be comfortable.

It can also be the cushion size.  I was measured and they provided me with a medium cushion, it was terrible and leaked too much, I purchased a large cushion and it was perfect.  

Try a cushion size smaller and a cushion size larger.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 364 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 562 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,411 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 251 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.