Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I've been wondering.........
I've been wondering.........
........for a long time. I like my drinks cold. I'm not talking about alcohol. I'm talking about milk (2%), soda pop, lemonade, water, and whatever else I drink. 

I'm talking about having lots of ice cubes in my drinks. Yes, even the 2% milk. Tonight we had french toast, sausage patties, milk and orange juice for dinner. 

My milk was ice cold. I had the same size glass for my orange juice. Same amount of ice cubes as well. Thing was, the orange juice simply would not get as cold as the milk. It was very obvious. For whatever reason, the orange juice refuses to get as cold as I would like.  Thinking-about

There has to be some kind of a plausible explanation for this mystery. I'm clueless! Doe anyone here have an explanation? If so, I'm all ears. 

You might try it yourself. Get yourself a glass of orange juice with ice cubes in it. Is it as cold as you would think it should be? 

I tend to not drink as much OJ as I would like, simply because of the above mentioned issue. 

Any and all thoughts will be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: I've been wondering.........
I'm clueless too. how about this: the pulp in the oj insulates the glass from the cold liquid and ice?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a great topic for a high school science class. A few things to consider:
  1. Use thermometers to measure the temperature, not your subjective taste test *
  2. Ensure both fluids are at the same temperature pre-test
  3. Ensure both fluids are in identical containers
  4. Ensure the ice going into the containers is equal in both mass and block size
  5. Measure the temperature of both at set regular intervals and at the end. Chart the progress over time.

* Have somebody do a blind taste test to see if the objective subjective feeling of temperature equates with the measured temperature.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2019, 09:22 PM)sheepless Wrote: I'm clueless too.  how about this:  the pulp in the oj insulates the glass from the cold liquid and ice?

Perhaps the pulp has a different specific heat capacity from the fluid component. A further test - try freshly squeezed orange juice (with pulp) against OJ with the pulp strained out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I've been an ice in my drink kind guy as far back as I can recall. That's at least 55+ yrs. of acquired experience. 

Tonight's dinner was sort of a lab experiment, if you will. Both glasses were identical in size, shape, and material. I filled both glasses with ice the same. Granted, I didn't count the cubes, but, I did a visual comparison and they looked to be the same. 

2% milk in one and OJ in the other. Both filled to the same level. Both glasses sat for a minute or so before I took a drink. First drink was the milk. Nice and cold. Next drink was the OJ. Not nearly as cold. Not even close! Both drinks were kept in the same fridge. Side by side, actually. 

I asked my wife, and she didn't have any idea as to why one would be colder than the other. Most times, the OJ goes unappreciated by me, as it's just not cold enough. 

I know that there are a lot more important issues at hand to be resolved. But for me, in my world, this one needs to be solved.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2019, 09:29 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 09:22 PM)sheepless Wrote: I'm clueless too.  how about this:  the pulp in the oj insulates the glass from the cold liquid and ice?

Perhaps the pulp has a different specific heat capacity from the fluid component. A further test - try freshly squeezed orange juice (with pulp) against OJ with the pulp strained out.

I have indeed, tried that in the past. Same disappointing result.  Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it nay be the sugar content difference. You are (I think) talking the difference between the fat content of the Milk and the sugar content of the Beer. I have noted that Beer with a high final gravity seems somewhat warmer than a beer with a lower final gravity. Final Gravity is a measure of the sugar content of beer.
Fred Bonjour - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter

Download OSCAR
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Soft Cervical Collar
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(10-14-2019, 10:03 PM)bonjour Wrote: I think it nay be the sugar content difference.  You are (I think) talking the difference between the fat content of the Milk and the sugar content of the Beer.  I have noted that Beer with a high final gravity seems somewhat warmer than a beer with a lower final gravity.  Final Gravity is a measure of the sugar content of beer.

What about soda pop? I know I drink too much of it, but I don't do drugs, smoke, or drink alcohol. I have to have some kind of a vice. 

Ice in my soda pop is great. Gets it nice and cold. I love ice in my 2% milk, but would never put it in my chocolate milk. And yes, I do like my chocolate milk. I know, this is all getting kind of weird. 

Gotta admit, I never heard of low / high final gravity, until now. Then again, I'm not much of a beer drinker at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2019, 11:22 PM)Big Guy Wrote: Gotta admit, I never heard of low / high final gravity, until now.

I hate gravity. It's always bringing me down. Whistle
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
Milk and Orange Juice both have a high sugar content.  

The difference is in the fat, where Milk is high fat and Orange Juice isn’t.

So my unscientific opinion is it’s the fat content.  Even fat people always claim to be colder than thin people.
Dont-know
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

OSCAR Chart Organization

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just wondering FrankNichols 7 1,330 08-11-2016, 05:48 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.