Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I've developed a sleep phobia.
I've developed a sleep phobia.
I recently found out I had sleep apnea with a low aph of 14 and it never really bothered me too much at first but now that I hear about people dying from it I'm scared as hell to go to sleep. I also have anxiety and hypcondria I'm scared of death and I always feel like I'm dying. I've had chest pains pain in my cheek heart palpations and my right arm has been going complete numb for the last 2 months I did a ton of tests all came back fine ekg echo etc but now my blood pressure high and my heart rates been 100+ and icefelt like crap the last 2 or 3 months so I went back to Dr again and hes concerned about my heart and apnea and wants to do more tests so now I lie Gere thinking every night is this my last night alive? I've been avoiding sleeping because of this and apnea has ruined my life..I wish I never knew j had it..m
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I've developed a sleep phobia.
I too dreaded going to sleep, but for me it was because of apnea- I just could not sleep. My guess is that no matter what causes a person to not sleep, the effect is the same and it really sucks.

The good news is that this therapy WORKS. Get a machine and start learning to use it. It will become your best friend. The machine will take good care of you while you sleep, learn to trust it. Educate yourself on equipment, masks, and sleepyhead. Don't just read about the problems that can be caused by sleep apnea, that's for people that chose to not use machines after decades.

You joined in August, do you already have a machine? If not, why not. If you do have one please fill in the information in your profile.
Let's get started getting you tuned up! Come on, let's get it done.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have a machine and it's because of money and I need to do another sleep study and meet with a guy and it takes awhile to get an apt and I'm just scared sh*t less and I feel like sh*t... I also dread the machine because what if I become dependant on it and then I don't have it one time and die from it. I'd rather do surgery
It's just alot to deal with lately mom has cancer and I got all this going on so I stress more and the anxiety is killer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Think of one night of untreated sleep apnea as being a bit like smoking a pack of cigarettes. It's really unlikely to kill you tonight. Even over a one year period, the odds of dying from being a pack a day smoker aren't that high. However, it adds up over the years, and does give you a lot of health problems even if it doesn't kill you.

You might find some degree of help from not sleeping on your back, or from sleeping in a recliner.

What state or country are you in? Do you have any kind of insurance?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds to me that your biggest problem is anxiety, and then maybe sleep apnea.

I would seek treatment for that?

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2015, 08:36 PM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: Sounds to me that your biggest problem is anxiety, and then maybe sleep apnea.

I would seek treatment for that?
I agree. All of your symptoms except perhaps for the numb arm could be related to anxiety. It also seems like you're depressed over the possibility of dying in your sleep. You should see a P-doc about these symptoms and get treated for the apnea. CPAP therapy is the gold standard for SA.

I've been on CPAP therapy for about 14 months. I went on a three-day vacation in August and decided not to take the CPAP machine with me. I had a great time, and I'm pretty sure I didn't die. I actually slept pretty well without it, but when I go again, I'll take it with me. It seemed weird to sleep without it, and I was glad to start using it again.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input doesn't help my dr told me his best friend died at 33 from it. I hear all these stories and my dr seems to think it's apnea related idk I'm just scared to death I'm not going to wake up the thought of not breathing every 4 minutes in Mt sleep scares the sh*t out of me. My aunt also died from it at 45.
Post Reply Post Reply
You've lived without CPAP for years. Your body has adapted to apnea to some extent. The odds of dying from a few more weeks without treatment aren't that high.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2015, 04:57 AM)Gogetah Wrote: Thanks for the input doesn't help my dr told me his best friend died at 33 from it. I hear all these stories and my dr seems to think it's apnea related idk I'm just scared to death I'm not going to wake up the thought of not breathing every 4 minutes in Mt sleep scares the sh*t out of me. My aunt also died from it at 45.

Gogetah,
Agree, you are probably not going to die from SA this night or next month...
but your doctor is correct in telling you those stories. You seem reluctant to start CPAP therapy, but yet have created a lot of anxiety for yourself over what may happen if you don't use it.

In time, untreated sleep apnea will without a doubt cause or aggregate a host of illnesses, like High blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, etc. so what is worse, suffering from diseases you don't yet have or getting on with what you know you have to do to live a healthier and more restfull life.

As far as health insurance goes, a lot here are in the same boat. Talk to your doctor and see if you can get an overnight study done. Or check some of the suppliers in the suppliers list above. I believe Supplier #30 can offer a study, script and machine in a package deal. There is also Supplier #2 that sells good gently used cpap's for a great price.

I know your thinking that I don't understand what you are going through, but I do.
I also suffered anxiety issues before I started Cpap. Never slept more than 1 or 2 hour a night. My doctor told me I wouldn't be alive in 5 years if I didn't use Cpap.
Yes, that may be a scare tactic, but it worked for me.

Over a year later, and I wouldn't go to sleep without my machine. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm just wondering if any of you are in your 20s I feel like I'm the only one my age with apnea and I'm worried about spending the rest of ky life on the machine. If surgery I'd recommended should I do it
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Suddenly developed Centals Blue114 8 929 05-12-2022, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Blue114

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.