Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I wake up every morning NOT wearing my mask
I wake up every morning NOT wearing my mask
I've had a CPAP machine for about 20 years now.  In those 20 years for the life of me I can't wear the mask all night.  I go to sleep with it on and wake up with it off, every time.  Now I'm getting flack from my insurance company that I don't meet the standard of wearing the mask at least 4 hours a night.  So I'm like I've NEVER worn it 4 hours a night because while I'm sleeping I take it off.

I've gone back and forth with insurance companies over this and it's drivin me crazy!  I've tried a dozen masks and the doctor has tried to help me, to no avail.

So, I thought I'd ask you guys if anyone else has had this problem and what you've done to help fix it.  I can count on one hand how many times I've woken up with my mask on, it's literally a fluke.

I appreciate any support/comments.

Thanks
-45thronin
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I wake up every morning NOT wearing my mask
Do you know your pressure settings? My guess without seeing data or settings is that the pressure is too low and you're feeling starved for air. The natural reaction is to rip off the mask.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This isn't that rare a problem. Normally I would recommend attaching the mask's hose to your pillow so that when you take it off, it remains close to you and will wake you up (noise, air blowing, etc). But if you've been ignoring it in your sleep for that long, it probably won't work.

Another option would be to sit up one day with it on. Mask on, machine on. Watch tv, whatever. Get you and your body used to it. Yes, you've been doing it for a long time, but now it is time to get it used to it for longer.

What are your pressures?
Do you use a software to view the data?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hey-hey, thanks everyone for the feedback, I'll answer both your comments here. I have worked with my doctor to ensure that my pressure is correct. I've also tried different masks, I do keep the mask close to me but when I'm out, I'm out sleeping wise.

It's been a major challenge because obviously I'm not getting the full benefits of wearing the mask. I just wanted to reach out to you guys just to see what I might be missing. Apologies, I have to check to see what my pressure is set too.

I've been told to do just that PaulaO2, putting my mask on while I'm awake so I get more used to it. I do have to start doing that, I don't do that currently. **UPDATE** I just found the software, v5.9, so checking that out now.

Also, I've been looking for software (Resscan) to help me check the data, but I can't seem to find a place to download that software.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResScan is here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...hines-only FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY

OSCAR is another program and is much better.

Never ever leave it all up to the doc. It is your health, his money. Take control over your own health and let him go golfing on someone else's dollar. Know your pressures. Know your AHI average. Think of your sleep apnea and its treatment as the same as diabetes. I recently had a medical procedure and the anesthesiologist wanted to know my current pressure settings in case they had to use something other than the CPAP I'd brought with me. I was able to give her the pressure numbers and my average AHI. We discussed it at length and she said she felt more comfortable knocking me out.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Great point, PaulaO2. I will also try OSCAR. Where do I download that? **UPDATE** Sorry, I just found that this is open source, I'll check that out, thanks again for the suggestion.

Actually I was just looking at my data in ResScan 5.9, very interesting! I do have to start taking more control of this, maybe my pressure isn't right.

I was just looking at my stats for the last year.
Pressure Median: 9.5
95th Percentile: 11.6
Maximum Pressure: 12.2
Post Reply Post Reply
What is your AHI number?

We would be glad to advise and help you, but first download the free OSCAR software.
Then sleep a couple nights (regardless of time) and use your SD card to import data to OSCAR.

Use the links below in my signature line to guide you for organization of graphs and how to post here using the attachment feature.

As far as pulling the mask off, I’ve personally not had that problem, so will let others help.
What mask are you currently using and what others have you tried?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask I'm currently using is the mirage quattro, I don't remember the names of the others I've used over the years, but I've tried ones that just fit in your nostrils, plus other different sized full face masks.

I'll find out what my AHI number is and work with OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
my intuitive assumption is that we rip our masks off because it's uncomfortable in some way. could be the mask itself, masks in general (although I'd think you'd be used to the mask with all your experience with cpap), and/or too little/too much pressure. some people are disturbed by the resmed machine's pulses that are used to identify the type of apnea. those sensitive to that usually report fatigue from many mini arousals. I can imagine someone bothered by that removing their mask.

a video camera might shed some light on when and why it happens. at the risk of sounding silly, wearing socks on your hands, or mittens might either reduce occurrences or at least help you wake up enough to be aware of taking it off.

if you haven't searched the forum already, there have been a few threads with a similar topic lately. as I recall, one person figured out a way to make an alarm sound when they removed their mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh that's very cool, thanks for those comments SHEEPLESS, and to everyone that responded, I really appreciate your comments as this issue has been driving me a bit crazy. It's so funny with regards to suggestion about wearing mittens, I don't think that's crazy at all. At this point I'll try anything, lol!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 123 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 206 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 525 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Still wake up using CPAP urachan 3 339 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Haven't been able to fall asleep wearing biPAP AlgebraicMisery 1 240 02-17-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,996 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 294 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.