Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I wanna cry
RE: I wanna cry
(02-03-2020, 07:26 PM)Soisnore Wrote: Without the machine, I’m usually out cold.

But that is just an illusion. The sleep apnea prevents you from falling into the deeper levels of sleep you need to get rested and stay healthy.

Ask your partner if he ever noticed what you did when you were snoring and then suddenly stopped. Every one of those is an awakening that you have no memory of. And they will eventually lead to a heart attack or stroke.

Don't give up now because you are adapting even if you don't feel like you are. If you sleep without the machine you short circuit the adaptation process and ruin all the progress you've made.

Most of us have gone through what you're going through. We got through it and so will you. I never want to go back to the way I was before CPAP therapy. I didn't realize how bad I felt until the CPAP machine made me start feeling better.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your min pressure is incorrect. Min pressure should be Min = 4 + EPR or higher. Your EPR = 3 so your Min Pressure should = 7
This allows EPR to work over your full range.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing that is unclear to me... were you feeling fatigued prior to starting CPAP?
You mentioned that you had a study because loved ones were complaining about your snoring.
However, you didn't tell us about your fatigue level.
Was the snoring the ONLY reason for seeing the doctor?
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour is correct. A minimum pressure of 7.0 with EPR3 is going to change your world.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2020, 06:55 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Welcome to the Apnea Board.

I'm not sure if this applies to you, but most adults need more air pressure than 4 can give. If you feel at all air starved, I'd consider a pressure bump to 5 or 6. It may help the headaches too.

Your stats are definitely flirting with 6 EPAP already.

You should also be using a HEPA Filter.

I have mild allergies and since moving to HEPA filters I've experienced positive results.

Your humidification settings can also increase your comfort. Check your room humidity and see where that is at. If your environment is dryer, either from climate or air conditioner or home humidifier, etc., the machine can compensate and supply moisture.

Breathing through your nose only is a big improvement. It cuts down on dry mouth and will also supply much more SP02 into your blood, which, is VIP to your overall health.

Check your room temperature also as everyone sleeps best at certain temps. Most sleep studies say humans sleep best at 68 degrees. I keep mine at 61 during sleep times. I dropped mine to 60 and worked it upward a couple degrees for a few nights and then went back to 61. It made a very big difference for me.

Turn your clock away from you especially if it is LED lit and whatever it is, don't check it if you think you have woke up. Most people will think they are awake when they actually are not. Checking the time and thinking about the time can ruin your sleep. Unless it's time to get up, just go back to sleep. 

Don't sleep during the day. That is a sure way to mess up your nights sleep.

Stop eating anything around 6pm and stop coffee or any caffeine by 10am.

Improving your sleep in general will go a long way toward letting feel better all day.

Coffee
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Eventually you will find answers here.  This is the most helpful group when it comes to getting answers regarding sleep apnea.  It more than likely will take some time.  There are some that have fabulous results right out of the gate, but I'd say the majority, including myself find it can be a difficult road.

A couple of things I am curious about, and a prior reply already asked, WERE YOU FEELING tired prior to starting therapy?  Another thing, the headaches, where in your head are you feeling them?  Is it all over?  Is it mainly between/behind your eyes?  My doctors have told me that low oxygen was the culprit and I only get them anymore when I don't have my therapy on.  My headaches were behind my eyes.

Oh, and also, do you have a way to video your sleep? I NEVER knew, until my new husband told me, that I sit up in bed while I am asleep, and continue to sleep sitting straight up. I, at the urging of this community purchased an inexpensive system for visually recording my sleep.  It is unbelievable what I saw.  There is no telling how long I have done this.  At this time it is unclear if controlling the sleep apnea will help with this issue or not, but it does explain quite a bit about my quality of sleep.

Hope to hear back from you regarding the two questions.  I am sure the answers will help the vastly more experienced advisors.  (I am a relative newbie here myself).

Regards,
Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
One more night down... thanks again for all of the encouragement.  Honestly think it is the only reason I put that mask on last night!  

I bumped up the pressure to 6.4 (felt like a good medium from all of the advice here).  Man, it sure was easier to breathe!  It certainly helped!!  I think I slept pretty good when I was actually sleeping.  I was awake again for over two hours (with the mask on) just trying to get back to sleep.  Not sure what's up with that. It did feel like maybe the pressure was a bit much at times. I was burping a bit this morning as well.  This all could be do to the fact that I do have a cold now and think I was only breathing through one nostril most of the night as the other one was all clogged up.

People have asked if snoring was the only reason to begin therapy.  Yes, it was.  I didn't have any daytime sleepiness until I started the cpap.  I did need more sleep than most, 9 hours made me most comfortable.  The headaches have just started with therapy and I did still have a headache this morning.  Hurts in the forehead and bottom back of the head, but it doesn't last long.  Goes away once I'm up and moving.

Again  ...  Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
If your home sleep study was correct, then you stopped breathing for at least 10 seconds between 5 and 15 (on average) times per hour. I only say this to eliminate becoming too enamored with snoring as the primary reason for CPAP.

Your numbers are stellar. From events to flow limitations, to leaks, to how much pressure you require, you are in a place everyone would like to get to. That said, your needs are to focus on comfort. Whether your minimum is 6 or 7 is a bit academic, as you are running in the 7's most of the time. You can also dial back the EPR from 3 to 2 and run a minimum at 6 and see see how that goes.

For years I ran my pressure over a tight range, 6-9 or 7-10 with no EPR. I'm not saying that will be the right way to go, but in your case you just need to find something that provides the most comfort.

And as others have said, you will adapt more as time goes on. Hopefully you'll feel good without a minimum of 9 hours of sleep.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
I think if you continue with results like last night you and everyone nearby is going to be catching up on sleep Excellent results! It sounds like you were more comfortable, and the only recommendation I have is to TURN OFF RAMP. You will be more comfortable and other than ramp, this looks fantastic.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I too did not experience daytime sleepiness or so I thought. I would sleep 8 hours at night and a 1 hour nap (9 hours). Now, I cannot stay in bed for more than 7 hours and stopped the naps. 

Sleep apnea creeps up on you slowly. I didn’t realize I felt bad until I started feeling better. 

And..... after 4 years my chart still doesn’t look as good as yours. Hang in there.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Surprised just wanna brag jeepersheart 9 3,175 10-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Last Post: DOOM_NX

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.