Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I want APAP, sleep center wants CPAP
I want APAP, sleep center wants CPAP
Had my followup appointment after several months of CPAP use (Dreamstation Auto CPAP).  They were generally happy and wanted to now set a constant pressure of 8 cm after having a range of 5-20 cm (I never had a titration).  I had changed the pressure (thanks to you guys) to 6-12 or 7-11 starting around day 36 in the graph.

I said I feel comfortable with a range of 7-12 but they insisted at setting it at 8 cm.  The best reason I could get out of them is basically that's how we do it around here (a set number, not a range).  Looking at this data (which I didn't put together until after the meeting), it would that 8 cm is too low:

https://imgur.com/a/EAhRj

I'm leaning to setting the pressure back to 7-12 cm after they set it to 8. 

Do most people here have a range or a set pressure?  What are the advantages of having a set pressure, with the exception of being able to get a cheaper machine?

I move between back sleeping and side sleeping plus have been having winter nose stuffiness at night, so I would think a range would be better.

Secondary question - I've now tried the Amara View Full Face Mask and the Dreamwear Nasal Mask.  Do people keep the same pressure when switching between masks?  I seem to think I like a little higher minimum pressure with the Dreamwear. 

Thanks everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I want APAP, sleep center wants CPAP
cchild, Without knowing the types of events your having it's hard to answer the pressure question. Could you poat a sleepyhead chart with a daily detailed data on it?

There are times when fix pressure works better for some people most do better with Auto though.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I want APAP, sleep center wants CPAP
cchild2, you have Sleepyhead which can perform the statistical analysis of your pressure needs and better define what kind of events are happening. Based on the chart you posted, I would estimate your best CPAP pressure is about 10, but for many of us auto-pressure works just fine. It is there for changing health needs, sleep stage and sleep position which affects many people. I really don't understand the insistence of your sleep doctor to use fixed pressure, although that is not uncommon.

Under HIPAA you have the right to decline any doctor's recommendations or a procedure. Without getting all "legal" about this, you can just say no, and use this pressure range. What I would do (and have always done) is talk to my primary care doctor about transferring your continuing sleep apnea treatment to his care. He can write the prescriptions and document your compliance and continuing benefit of using CPAP. That is all insurance requires for continuing coverage. Once your doctor agrees, tell your sleep doctor you're done unless you need a future sleep study. I have never used a sleep center for continuing care. It means more appointments and more costs, and the medical need can be met with your PCP at your annual physical.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 263 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,220 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 144 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 116 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 222 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 910 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.