Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I want a ResMed BiPAP Machine, please.
I want a ResMed BiPAP Machine, please.
I want to tell my Doc this week that I want to go with ResMed instead of the Dreamstation I have been using. 
I don't feel the Dreamstation BiPAP is ideal for me. I have had the Doctor change pressures and masks. This machine has made it challenging but after 7 masks I have finally found one that is both comfortable, not majorly leaking on my face, not causing sores, and has reduced my AHI to an average of 3.
I have tried every variation of settings with the machine to find the right Flex, Humidity, Mask settings, to get to that low number and some decent improvement in health experience.
But the one thing that just doesn't improve is the way that the machine doesn't seem to let me breathe properly. When I am lightly sleeping or towards the end of the night, an event occurs just before I wake up. It's usually something different, but once I get into that light sleep stage, the breathing is just not right. I read a couple of threads and I believe a ResMed machine may do better for me. 

I have been looking at them but since I only know Phillips products and the naming conventions they use which are different than ResMed; I can't figure out what ResMed machine is a BiPAP machine, and what some of the other name extensions mean, like V, Autoset, Autosense, S, Curve. 
I see the Doc this week and I want to ask him to prescribe a ResMed brand BiPAP. 

Can someone please enlighten me on which one to get the prescription for, please?

Thank you so much in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I want a ResMed BiPAP Machine, please.
The DSX600 is a fixed pressure BiPAP, The ResMed equivalent is the ResMed AirCurve 10 "S" but you do not want that machine.
You want the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAutowhich has Fixed BiLevel and CPAP just like the DSX600 but also has an Auto mode and that is what you want.  

AirCurve means BiLevel (BiPAP on PR) but each model of bilevel serves a different purpose.  That hold true for both PR and ResMed machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you [b]bonjour![/b]

[b]That helps me out so much. I am soooo excited![/b]
Post Reply Post Reply
EDIT:
I am reposting this in a separate post because I can't edit my original:

I really believe as I have believed since the beginning of treatment that the Bi-PAP(Dreamstation) doesn't let me breathe properly. Originally I even told the doctor I thought the machine was defective.
After 5 months of research and experiences and therapy and medication. I have come to the conclusion that the algorithm that Phillips uses isn't for me. Their CPAP machine may very well be one of the best. But their Bi-PAP most certainly is not a fit for me. 
I can't wait to prove my theory. I'll post back. 

Thanks again so much for all your helps on this forum and others, and everywhere in real life, everyone. I know that this knowledge spreads from all of us and touches other people and helps them too. This whole ordeal impacts so many people. 
It does not get the respect it deserves. 

You are life savers, life changers, and the best kind of people.

THANK YOU!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a couple notes on terminology:
BiPAP is a proprietary term for Philips Respironics. The Resmed term is VPAP.
I have used both a Philips BiPAP Auto DS760, and Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto. The Resmed is more comfortable to me, and has a better form factor, but both machines do their job. You are using a fixed pressure BiPAP Pro and since pressure is fixed, it cannot respond to changing needs. If you would post some Sleepyhead charts for us, we might be able to see what is going on for you and give you more to work with when talking to your doctor and supplier.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see, I didn't realize the Dreamstation had a similar version of the Aircurve.
Well, since I've made up my mind about getting that functionality and I have to change out the machine anyways. I'll change it out for the ResMed so I can at least get the experience. 
I'm confident I won't regret it after all the readings and reviews I've pondered upon.
But if I get that DS version I'll never rest about it....

One more question I have about ResMed descriptors:

What is the differnce between VAUTO and AUTOSET ? 
and Aircurve vs AirSense?

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet with Integrated Humidifier for Her
Post Reply Post Reply
The Vauto is in the Aircurve 10 bilevel series. I allows pressure up to 25 cm and full pressure support capability, ability to adjust trigger and cycle sensitivity and inspiration timing adjustment.

The Autoset is an auto CPAP in the Airsense 10 series. It has a maximum pressure of 20 cm and EPR which is equivalent to up to 3-cm of pressure support.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alright. This day didn't go anywhere near where I expected. I am seriously disappointed and disturbed about how the cpap supply company reacted to my questions concerning changing the equipment. 
I just wanted to know if it could be done since I was early on into the rental stage of the current machine.

I felt like I was at some kind of inquisition with the interrogation that began.
It really stressed me out. I am under the impression that they will refuse the doctor's prescription even if he decides to create one.

What the hell is going on? Why is it with this process that the moment I show interest in my own health that I am being labeled as having OCD?!

Can someone please help me, I'm in a crisis at the moment....
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine is a bilevel that meets the current prescription, and is a lower cost item than an auto bilevel (BiPAP or VPAP). The supplier is not going to make a penny more providing you with the higher end machine, even though it does not really require a change in prescription. So the response you got was to protect their profits. First because the Philips DS 600 series is less expensive than the Aircurve 10 Vauto, and secondly because you will be returning a used machine and they will have to deal with that loss. They have to provide what is in the prescription, so getting your doctor to change the script to a Vauto and "dispense as written", puts the DME in the position of suffering the consequences of not providing the better machine in the first place. Don't let guilt or their complaints stand in your path to better therapy. They are fighting for profits, and you want your comfort and health. This is going to be a conflict. You may need to ask your insurance about switching suppliers.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Many many years ago I went in to my DME because I was having issues.  It turns out my dumb brick with a set-screw to adjust pressure an not even compliance info could not be set to my Prescription, they could get it up to 17 and my Rx was 19.  They said it didn't matter, and then they said my CPAP was noisy and failing.  (Wasn't expecting that).   They said I needed to replace my machine, I'm sure that was accurate.  I said I wanted a machine that provided data and was automatic. I knew they existed. At the time I knew nothing about any of these apnea forums.  Their response was I HAD to get the same (dumb brick) that I had.  I said I was getting an auto machine or I was going to get it somewhere else.  A few phone calls where that same conservation occurred and then . . . I WENT ROUGE.  I bought a APAP from Supplier #1 and haven't looked back.

I would be firm with them and say they can either switch machines to ResMed AutoSet and continue to make money from me or I'll return the unit and you will NEVER do any business with me again, Your choice.

Your PR machine is trying to lead your breathing, not follow it like a ResMed machine does.

Call your doctor and say to him that the PR machine is too uncomfortable to continue, that it seems to be uncomfortably leading my breathing and not following it.  Ask him to help you get a ResMed VAuto in a script that says DAW (dispense as Written).

and see the Dealing with a DME article linked in my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,050 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 208 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 246 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 390 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 401 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,571 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 235 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.