Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I want to see how my CPAP works inside the machine.
I want to see how my CPAP works inside the machine.
Hello,

Hey thanks for reading this.

I want to see or learn how my CPAP machine works in the inside.  How does the air flow over the humidifier water tank mainly but no reason to stop there.
How does the inside of my CPAP work.  Why does my machine blow backwards only if I don't have my humidifier tank installed.  I like to run air through
my hoses after I washed them, just to get most of the water down to one end, making drying the hose easier and faster.  This is when I found out the machine
blows backwards without that tank in place.

I tried to get a service manual or just a schematic showing how the machine works and found nothing.  It bothers me a lot that information is purposely
unavailable probably to keep prices as high as they are.  They are fainting prices for sure.

I am not interested in repairing my machine, I just want to know how it all works.  Once I know that, I can use the machine to my best advantage.

I look forward to any answers you may have,
Cheers,
AliceF
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I want to see how my CPAP works inside the machine.
Welcome to the forum!

You can find a service manual in the Private Files and Links Forum.

Your M Series machine is around 10 years old. You should consider upgrading before it stops working.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2018, 01:49 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Welcome to the forum!

Your M Series machine is around 10 years old.  You should consider upgrading before it stops working.

Or the gerbil running on the wheel dies. Unsure
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2018, 01:08 PM)AliceF Wrote: I am not interested in repairing my machine, I just want to know how it all works.  Once I know that, I can use the machine to my best advantage.

There's an impeller that spins, rather like the one in a home central air conditioning system. It simply moves the air from the place where it passes through the filter entering the machine to the hose. Sensors and logic circuits control the speed of that impeller in such a way that the pressure is kept constant as you breathe. It really is an engineering marvel.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my, simplified, understanding of the PAP machine:

There are two pressure sensors: one is at the air intake, before the blower, and the second one is after the blower.

Firmware and hardware circuitry calculate difference between these 2 sensors and based on that adjust the pressure and record all these different events. Modern machines are getting more and more sophisticated in their ability to extrapolate so many different aspects of our breathing...
Post Reply Post Reply
When I bought my Sp E used the biggest advantage was thet I could check my treatment when I woke. It made a huge difference.

First, I found I wasn't sleeping long enough and was sleep deprived. 5=1/2 hours was normal for me.

Second, it displayed my AHI for the night's sleep. So I could see how I was doing. As my AHI rose over days, I could see I needed to fix it. Usually my mask looked fine, but it wasn't new and wasn't working well.

Other machines before this I would realize that I hadn't felt good in months. And realize that my mask was truly overdue.

I know---Sleepyhead would tell me that too. Reality was I didn't have it yet. And didn't know how to use it to get help here.

My sleep doc thought reporting like this had no value. Good old doc. Thankfully retired.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I know my machine is old and it is also no longer being made.  It is working great and upon it's death, I will upgrade.  The way I see it, it is a simple
machine ( like a washing machine ), there isn't much to go wrong with it and I saved a ton of money buying this used but well running unit.  

But thanks for your advice upon upgrading.

Thanks for the info on the manuals.  I will go see if any of them tell me how the machine works inside.  I am interested in how the air flows.

Cheers,
AliceF
Post Reply Post Reply
I am having trouble finding Private Files and Links Forum.   I will bump around a bit more but I think I might need a direct link to it. UPDATE: Did not find it. Perhaps a link to it please ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2018, 04:10 PM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(10-05-2018, 01:49 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Welcome to the forum!

Your M Series machine is around 10 years old.  You should consider upgrading before it stops working.

Or the gerbil running on the wheel dies. Unsure

Love it !!!  The gerbil running on the wheel dies. HAHAHAHAHAH

(10-05-2018, 06:57 PM)silentsnore Wrote: Here's my, simplified, understanding of the PAP machine:

There are two pressure sensors: one is at the air intake, before the blower, and the second one is after the blower.

Firmware and hardware circuitry calculate difference between these 2 sensors and based on that adjust the pressure and record all these different events. Modern machines are getting more and more sophisticated in their ability to extrapolate so many different aspects of our breathing...

Ok, good info.  Would you happen to have a schematic or drawings that might be helpful ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2018, 12:23 PM)AliceF Wrote: I am having trouble finding Private Files and Links Forum.   I will bump around a bit more but I think I might need a direct link to it.   UPDATE:  Did not find it.  Perhaps a link to it please ?

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Click on: Link to Members Only Files
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 307 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 626 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,737 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 368 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,293 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.