Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

IAH graph drops to zero
IAH graph drops to zero
Hi, I've been using a Resmed Airsense 10 autoset for years. I regularly view the data with OSCAR, and have been reassured by the relatively good results I see. Lately, I am getting up more often to urinate during the night, and when viewing the IAH data, I've had a worrying surprise, I noticed that when I remove the mask and the air flow stops (Smart Start ON), the IAH graph drops to zero, and when the flow is restored, the graph starts from 0, instead of the IAH that was at the time of stopping. Analyzing the graphs of the different nights, I guess that the IAHI results I get are only for the time since the last stop (when I get up to urinate), so the real IAHI could be much higher than what is recorded in the statistics. Is this so? Or am I interpreting it wrong and the IAH corresponds to the whole night? Is there any way to act, or configuration, so that the IAHI is calculated for the whole night? I attach an example graph, every day something similar happens. I guess it is a behavior of the Airsense 10 machine, not of OSCAR, nor of ResScan.
Thanks in advance for any answer!!!
Jorge

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: IAH graph drops to zero
The IAH or AHI graph is a moving average of the apnea index per hour. When a session stops, the moving average resets to zero. This graph can show the distribution of events through the night, but as someone that frequently reads and interprets Oscar graphs, I don't find this graphic very useful. Your IAH on this night was 1-event per two hours. That is excellent therapy. The most useful graphs in assessing therapy are Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Flow Limitation and Leaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Actually what worries me is not the graph, what worries me is if the final IAH number corresponds only to the last session or sums up all the sessions of the night. The IAH is an index I use to try to know at a glance the evolution of the therapy, especially when I make changes in machine settings, weight, etc.
If the IAH only corresponds to the last session, I cannot use it because the last session of my nights is usually very short.
Thanks a lot!
Jorge
Post Reply Post Reply
Your AIH (apnea+hypopnea per hour) total was 0.68. You had a total of 4 events in 5.85 hours. (4/5.85) = 0.68. Oscar appears to be properly calculating the apnea index.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never look at this chart unless someone asks a question about it or I testing that chart. It is just not that important.

We get the info you are looking for by looking at the overall AHI and the events chart, looking to see if events are occuring in clusters.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, now I understand! I assumed that IAH calculation was much more complex, considering the severity of the events... I've tested calculation with other days, and that calculation is correct for the whole night. So it's OK for me, it was a false alarm.
Thanks a lot Sleepreader and Gideon for your answers. And also to all of you who contribute to OSCAR, I think it's really very good, much better than the CPAP manufacturer's own...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 871 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,115 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 276 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  How to read the Snore Graph daz2264 0 303 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: daz2264
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 396 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Movement and spO2 drops newtothis123 3 461 10-06-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Woke up feeling absolutely awful - OSCAR graph analysis really appreciated new2paphopeful 2 733 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: stevew77

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.