Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ICON AUTO vs S9 AUTOSET
ICON AUTO vs S9 AUTOSET
Hi. I am a newbie and am trying to decide on a machine. I have to pay cash so price is a concern. Also, I don't want to go with a second hand machine. 

I have narrowed it down to the F & P ICON AUTO and the Resmed S9 AutoSet with H5i

I would like information regarding what info can one see just from the display screen. 

According to a resale site, you can't get your AHI on the icon screen, but I think I read in a review that you can. Could someone tell me what info they are able to get from the display screen on the ICON AUTO?

Also, can the ICON tell if you have had a central event?

I do believe the S9 can give central event data, but will it show on the display? 

Lastly, do I really need expiratory pressure relief? 

I have gone to each manufacturer's site and can't seem to find a detailed list of what data they record or if I can read everything from the display. It is very frustrating, but perhaps I am just too tired to find it. 

Appreciate any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ICON AUTO vs S9 AUTOSET
(02-26-2017, 02:55 PM)Snorilla Wrote: I would like information regarding what info can one see just from the display screen. 

According to a resale site, you can't get your AHI on the icon screen, but I think I read in a review that you can. Could someone tell me what info they are able to get from the display screen on the ICON AUTO?

I wonder why you are so concerned about this.  The fact is that NO machine will give you the detailed information you need to properly manage your sleep apnea just from the tiny screen on the machine itself.

I would strongly advise you not only to get a fully data capable machine (like the S9) but also  download and use the sleepyhead software and review your results from a real computer.  It will tell you far more information that you need to know to properly manage your apnea.  This is the most important thing you can do to get the best results possible from a *PAP machine, and you can also upload that information to this forum and get advice from people who know how to interpret it.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I probably will get to that point, but I do want to be able to have a quick check right on the screen every morning. I also only have a chromebook and so can't use sleepyhead.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2017, 05:00 PM)Snorilla Wrote: I probably will get to that point, but I do want to be able to have a quick check right on the screen every morning. I also only have a chromebook and so can't use sleepyhead.

The Resmed 10 series has a setting that shows more information on the machine's screen and I bet the S9 does as well.  Download the clinician's manual and find out how to change the default settings.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2017, 06:51 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(02-26-2017, 05:00 PM)Snorilla Wrote: I probably will get to that point, but I do want to be able to have a quick check right on the screen every morning. I also only have a chromebook and so can't use sleepyhead.

The Resmed 10 series has a setting that shows more information on the machine's screen and I bet the S9 does as well.  Download the clinician's manual and find out how to change the default settings.

I finally found the proper pdf for the S9. 

http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/p...er_eng.pdf

According to this I should be able to check my obstructive and central AHI right from the screen. That is what I was hoping for. 

As far as Fisher and Paykel, I still can't find any info on what data (if any) it will display on the screen. At this point I do not think it can check for central. I did read though that many doctors don't think the central reading is accurate. 

I think I am probably going to go with the S9. But to be fair to the ICON I will make some phone calls tomorrow. Off to watch MORE youtube videos of these things... Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
The central reading often is inaccurate.  These machine only have airflow and some pulses to go on.  The numbers you see are based on statistics with some assumptions.  My latest sleep doc places no faith in them whatsoever.  I am not saying he is right, just repeating his opinion.  In a sleep lab they have many (more wires than you can count!) more channels of data to compare and contrast.  These machines will often report events while you are going to sleep or waking up and a sleep lab would exclude from the numbers.

Why are you so focused on central apnea?  Do you have a reason to think you might have it?
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with an Icon auto and switched to an S9. Best move I ever made. Both machines have data cards which can be read by Sleepyhead software. The S9 reports Centrals on Sleepyhead.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2017, 03:32 AM)holden4th Wrote: I started with an Icon auto and switched to an S9. Best move I ever made. Both machines have data cards which can be read by Sleepyhead software. The S9 reports Centrals on Sleepyhead.

I think I have ruled out the ICON. Thanks for the input.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2017, 11:04 PM)chill Wrote: The central reading often is inaccurate.  These machine only have airflow and some pulses to go on.  The numbers you see are based on statistics with some assumptions.  My latest sleep doc places no faith in them whatsoever.  I am not saying he is right, just repeating his opinion.  In a sleep lab they have many (more wires than you can count!) more channels of data to compare and contrast.  These machines will often report events while you are going to sleep or waking up and a sleep lab would exclude from the numbers.

Why are you so focused on central apnea?  Do you have a reason to think you might have it?

I like the idea of more data, is all.  Yes, I took the test and was hooked up to everything. I read that without a band around you, there really is no way to tell if it is a true central or not, but who knows. It takes time to do studies and in the meanwhile they keep improving the sensors. I think I have read enough to know that the S9 autoset or Dreamstation auto are both fine choices. I don't want to spend anymore than that. 

I keep hearing about a great deal on Amazon for the Dreamstation, but I have yet to find it. 

Anyway, thanks again for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 12:06 AM)Snorilla Wrote: I keep hearing about a great deal on Amazon for the Dreamstation, but I have yet to find it. 

This offer appears to have been taken down.  The only ones currently listed are a DSX600T11 and a DSX700T11 BiPAP's.  It's hard to tell when they advertise a DreamStation DSX700 and show a System One in the pictures.  One review said that it is a System one - 60 series and had complained about the bait and switch.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 115 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
Sad F&P ICON auto is dead Letsgomom 19 14,315 01-09-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: capman911
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  AirSense 11 moon icon instead of bars? LJAB 7 849 10-23-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Disassembly of F&P Icon Hanrahan 6 3,586 10-19-2023, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Thanya
  AS11 AutoSet auto update Gideon 10 2,991 09-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.