Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

INFURIATED
RE: INFURIATED
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to minimize the danger of the situation. I was just playing devil's advocate and envisioned that he was in recovery and couldn't be awakened to install the mask. If that isn't true, then it changes the scenario. Not knowing all the details puts us at risk of giving you the wrong advice. If they erred, you most certainly should bring it to their attention whereupon they should give you a reasonable answer as to how it happened.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not starting bipap was an error on the hospitals part, but post-anesthesia delirium, flailing, etc... is extremely common. I've seen people who weren't conscious try to get out of bed, mumbling something about being perfectly fine. Then, after they actually wake up, they have no memory of any of it, and often don't believe staff about behaviors in the peri-anesthtic period. They had no way to tell a common post-anesthetic event apart from apneic induced behavior.
Post Reply Post Reply
When the patient complains too much, get out the restraints.
Mmmhmmm.

Time you got out your lawyers and put some pain back in their pocketbooks.

Sad
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
If the chart says begin bipap immediately after removing the tube, none of these other arguments have any validity. Bipap should have been started even if the nurse had to hold his head up and put the mask on him herself. Like that would be a big deal?

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not defending the hospitals failure to start his BiPAP treatment, I'm just saying it would be impossible for the staff there to be able to tell his behavior was apneic in nature from just typical post-anesthetic behavior, that's why it didn't trigger as anything strange for them, they see it all the time, just from a different cause. Standard protocol for post-anesthetic delirium is to keep the patient safe from themselves until they completely wake up, and that's what they thought they were doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a bit of useless info. One is 22 more times likely to die from being treated by a Doctor or hospital than they are to die from a gunshot wound to the chest from a hand gun. Little sobering.
Post Reply Post Reply
what ever happened to reading a chart so they KNOW what they are supposed to do post surgery or what the doctor has ordered for the patient? our child was a victim of nurses not following doctor's orders and it cost that child's life and children their parent.

working 10 and 12 hour shifts so they have a shorter work week is not beneficial to the patients.....only is beneficial to the staff that is supposed to be alert and taking care of patients and their needs
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2014, 11:50 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Just a bit of useless info. One is 22 more times likely to die from being treated by a Doctor or hospital than they are to die from a gunshot wound to the chest from a hand gun. Little sobering.

Considering how much malpractice, and attempted malpractice (if I hadn't stopped them) happened during my last hospital stay, this does not surprise me in the least. And they wondered why I was so desperate to get to inpatient physical rehab and not spend another 4 days at their hospital...

(09-28-2014, 08:58 AM)me50 Wrote: what ever happened to reading a chart so they KNOW what they are supposed to do post surgery or what the doctor has ordered for the patient?...

You'd be amazed at how much easier it was to 'read' charts back before they were electronic. Now things are hidden in sub-menus, sub-notes, etc... Give me paper charts back any day. Most EHRs are just horrid. I'm amazed more doesn't get missed as a result. And this isn't coming from some luddite, I have spent more than a decade in the IT field.
Post Reply Post Reply
Under other circumstances it might be funny, but I post it here just as informational. My wife was sick a few weeks back, sick enough to go to the Doctors office who couldn't see here but advised she go to the hospital, which we did, and waited in the ER for 9 hours, yes, 9, no exaggeration. She was seen finally, and while being seen I observed three of the staff sitting at desks typing various pieces of information and speaking among themselves. In a minutes a young man with an xray unit passed by the center station where they were all sitting. He went into a room and began moving the machine, patient and bed, seemingly to get the proper position. The staff still seated began talking about why he was there as they did not believe there were any xray orders for the patient, etc. Back and forth the conversation ensued, and no one seemed to know what should be done, till finally someone said "should we go ask him why he is here?" At which point one of the young women got up, went to the room, and spoke with the young man. After some conversation, he left the room, went next door, and she returned to tell her colleagues that "he was in the wrong room". Unbelievable.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2014, 08:58 AM)me50 Wrote: what ever happened to reading a chart so they KNOW what they are supposed to do post surgery or what the doctor has ordered for the patient?

Everything is buried on screens on a computer, however the software is terrible and you need to know the information exists before looking for it.

I use a nasal steroid for allergies. It's a tiny little spray bottle I use when stiff is spewing pollen or decaying outside.

When I picked up my last refill it filled who shopping bags and came with directions on how to use it with some sort of aerosolizing equipment that I don't have.

Apparently it's easy to pick "the next thing on the list" instead of the "right thing".

That was only annoying, and I actually know what I'm supposed to be taking, but if I was old and not-quite-sharp enough, who knows what I could be handed.

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.