Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

IPAP/EPAP
IPAP/EPAP
Hello All,

I have an Aircurve S10. My Doctor had the pressures adjusted from IPAP/ EPAP from 18 /08 to 20 / 12. Doesn't the EPAP of 20 make it harder for me to exhale? The 20/12 doesn't seen right and I will have to try it tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: IPAP/EPAP
The higher number (20) is the IPAP and the lower (12) is the EPAP. A PS of 8 is a big delta.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pogosix, let's second guess your doc and try to talk you into downloading the free OSCAR software. https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR Your settings include an unusually large pressure support, and I'm curious to see what is actually going on. 20/12 (IPAP/EPAP) results in PS 8.0 which will often contribute to central apnea. Do you know if you are treating obstructive sleep apnea or does your sleep disordered breathing include centrals?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks, I will do that tomorrow. My issues are compounded by a disease that has diminished a lot of my breathing  muscles and paralyzed my diaphragm on one side. I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea years before I knew I had POMPE Disease. My breathing has really has progressed downward. I'm also contending with my age, 76.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
The use of ST with high PS makes sense for neuromuscular disorders with hypoventilation. There is a more sophisticated model ST-A with iVAPS (intelligent volume assured pressure support) that targets lung volume on a breath by breath basis that may be in your future. In any event, Oscar can help you and us to evaluate the effectiveness of the current ST at maintaining volume and rate.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that, that is key info. 
You have the right machine and likely a proper PS for your condition.
In your case, I believe, sleep apnea is the secondary condition.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2022, 12:37 PM)pogosix Wrote: My Doctor had the pressures adjusted from IPAP/ EPAP from 18 /08 to 20 / 12. 

What was the rationale for this pressure increase?  EPAP increase of 4.0 cmH2O with a reduction of PS from 10.0 cmH2O to 8.0 seems a little (OK a lot) odd to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you don't have a recording oximeter that is something to consider. Maintaining adequate ventilation and oxygen levels is likely as important as treating your apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,094 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 245 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS] ldinks 154 12,208 08-09-2023, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Dutchie
  Is this due to too much PS/EPAP? Xeros 7 814 07-31-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Xeros
  For Hypopneas, RERAs/snoring-IPAP increase/PS what is to much/effects ? KeepSmiling 1 782 11-06-2022, 09:45 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Resmed F20 vs F30 IPAP's Lgibson 1 585 10-24-2022, 06:06 PM
Last Post: DaveCar
  How to set IPAP on Resmed Air Curve sleepyjimd999 4 847 08-24-2022, 06:12 PM
Last Post: sleepyjimd999

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.