Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ITCHY ITCHY ITCHY NOSE
ITCHY ITCHY ITCHY NOSE
Been using the P10 for a while now, and all of a sudden I have such an itchy nose as soon as I don the mask, it drives me nuts. I have tried, cleaning it, rinsing it, moving it, everything and still my nose is itching like crazy. Could I have an allergy to it?, I have even tried using lanisol, cream, and that is no good either. Not sure what to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ITCHY ITCHY ITCHY NOSE
(08-18-2014, 09:46 AM)Marnid2014 Wrote: Been using the P10 for a while now, and all of a sudden I have such an itchy nose as soon as I don the mask, it drives me nuts. I have tried, cleaning it, rinsing it, moving it, everything and still my nose is itching like crazy. Could I have an allergy to it?, I have even tried using lanisol, cream, and that is no good either. Not sure what to do.

Take a non-drowsy anti-histamine half an hour before bed. Wash your mask with purified water.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2014, 09:46 AM)Marnid2014 Wrote: .......I have tried, cleaning it, rinsing it, moving it, everything and still my nose is itching like crazy.

You might try doing all that to your mask too.

But I doubt you have an allergy to the mask. Especially since you've used the creams with it and you still get an itch.

Sometimes if it acts like an itch, feels like an itch --- it's an itch. You could scratch it, but you have to take the mask off to do that.

You could also check to make sure you don't have a stupid nose hair getting blown around that is making you think it's your nose that's the culprit.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice, I am soaking it in distilled water and hope that will do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it itching only where the mask touches? Or where the air blows? Both nostrils or just one? Is there a noticeable rash? Are you using anything different on the mask? Switch to a different bottle of soap, even the same brand?

Are you using a new main hose? Did you clean the humidifier tub with something new/different? Is ANYTHING from filter to your nose new or different?

Earlier in the day, wash your mask well. Rub the external part with your fingers and listen/feel for the squeak. I used to even turn the pillows wrong side out over the tip of my finger and clean the inside that way. (can't do that with the nuance) Rinse exceptionally well. Let air dry.

When the mask is dry, wash your face well. Rinse well. Use a small amount of alcohol on a pad to then clean the outside of your nostrils to get the last of the oils. Rinse your face again. Pat your face dry, not rub. Do not use any creams or lotions or anything. You want just you and the mask.

Put on the mask without the air on. Wait for the itching. If it itches, then it is definitely the mask. If you can't tell just yet, hook it up to the machine and turn on the machine. If the itch definitely gets worse, then turn off the air and, without scratching, see if it gets better. If it does, then it is something in the air/wind that is irritating you, not the mask itself.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2014, 09:46 AM)Marnid2014 Wrote: Been using the P10 for a while now, and all of a sudden I have such an itchy nose as soon as I don the mask, it drives me nuts. I have tried, cleaning it, rinsing it, moving it, everything and still my nose is itching like crazy. Could I have an allergy to it?, I have even tried using lanisol, cream, and that is no good either. Not sure what to do.

The easiest way to scratch my nose without taking my mask off is to use something like a Starbucks coffee stirring stick or a tongue depressor. It will slide up under the mask (even if you have a Remzzz or a Pad-A-Cheek) to reach the nose. It helped to make my own version of this sanding a tapered end and smoothing the wood so that it wouldn't hang on the cloth ... but even so it worked quite well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you get this reaction even without the machine turned on?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2014, 08:07 AM)CasitaWayne Wrote: The easiest way to scratch my nose without taking my mask off is to use something like a Starbucks coffee stirring stick or a tongue depressor. It will slide up under the mask (even if you have a Remzzz or a Pad-A-Cheek) to reach the nose. It helped to make my own version of this sanding a tapered end and smoothing the wood so that it wouldn't hang on the cloth ... but even so it worked quite well.
Brilliant! Happy Eyes Just the presence of such a device would help.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2014, 06:27 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: Thanks for the advice, I am soaking it in distilled water and hope that will do it.

Frankly, I don't think soaking the nose in distiller water is going to help. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried all the remedy's and it's still itching, now I am getting a stuffy nose as well. I think I might have developed an allergy to it. Last night I had to take it off during the middle of the night.

I think I am going to try the Circadiance Elan, I used it once before, but the old model, the one that looks like an elephant trunk. I can monitor it for awhile and see what the leaks show. I don't know what else to do.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 110 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,910 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 286 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,260 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 712 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 505 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Nose/Nosering Irritation Braven05 8 678 12-18-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.