Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

IanD - Therapy Thread
RE: IanD - Therapy Thread
Thank you for the feedback! Should show the flow limit on these now. Let me know how it looks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone! It has been awhile since I last posted and wanted to provide some updates and changes that I have made with my therapy. 

I am now using an N30i nasal mask with mouth tape and find it much more comfortable and seem to be sleeping with it better as opposed to the Dreamwear but I am still battling with getting the right pressure dialed in and making sure there aren't any leaks. 

As you can see in the OSCAR screenshots the first is with auto 8-12 pressure, fixed pressure of 8 in the second, and fixed pressure of 9 in the third. 

I'm not sure which has given the best results so far but if any of you had any thoughts or advice that could be shared on how I can improve my therapy that would be much appreciated. 

Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

I've adjusted my pressure settings to apap 8-10 as I feel like 12 might be too high but wanted to provide a screenshot of the data from a few nights ago. However, I have been feeling more exhausted and foggy so i'm not sure if it is helping. I do see that I only wore it for about 5 hours so that could also be the reason.

Any thoughts on how it looks? Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone!

Any thoughts on my OSCAR data from last night?

Post Reply Post Reply
I made some changes with the EPR and set it to 1. This seems to be working better for me and I feel like i'm not starving for air. However, I have been taking my mask off during the night. 

Can anyone look at my data and offer any advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Bumping
Post Reply Post Reply
Short answer: consider going back to EPR 3 and try some higher pressures to address the air starving problem.

It looks like APAP is increasing pressure due to the flow limitations (anything greater than about 20% will trigger pressure increases in a resmed device). This can usually be addressed with EPR (or a higher IPAP and lower EPAP like what bi-level can accomplish).
Consider increasing EPR back to 2 or even 3 as originally recommended. Check out the flow limitation page on the wiki.

Increasing EPR lowers the expiratory pressure, so you may need to raise the minimum pressure as a result.

Are you feeling air starved on inhale or like you can’t exhale against the pressure?

Some settings to consider trying might be:
Min 10 EPR 3 (EPAP 7)
Min 11 EPR 3 (EPAP 8)
Min 12 EPR 3 (EPAP 9)
Min 13 EPR 3 (Epap 10)
Min 14 EPR 3 (EPAP 11)

If flow limitation and how you feel doesn't improve you may want to consider trying bi-level.

You can try this in smaller increments than I mentioned. Based on APAP making drastic increases I find it usually means significant under-titration or that it is the wrong mode of therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
You went from EPR 3 down to 1. This caused the 95% FL to rise from 0 to .11

Flow Limitation will cause your pressure to rise and the result of that pressure increase may be what's causing you to wake up.

You need a happy medium... try EPR set at 2. We'll look at the effect on FL, and your comfort level.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for the input!

I went ahead and put my EPR back to 3 and I think it might be working. I'm feeling more rested but still struggling with awful brain fog most days. 

My pressure settings are now between 10-12 with an EPR of 3. I've attached some recent data below. 

How do you think my nights are looking? Anything else you would recommend or suggest I change?

Thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 87 1,710 1 hour ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,966 363,586 1 hour ago
Last Post: btreger
  secunix Therapy Thread secunix 0 58 10 hours ago
Last Post: secunix
  Second attemp at therapy Jonkier 8 210 Yesterday, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Jonkier
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 6 246 Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  lisaistired - Therapy Thread and Questions lisaistired 21 992 Yesterday, 01:59 PM
Last Post: dormivi
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 76 1,661 Yesterday, 10:47 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.