Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Icon auto to AirSense 10 experience ?
Icon auto to AirSense 10 experience ?
Hi folks. My Icon Auto died the other day. So I need a new machine. I've had the Icon Auto since it first came out and have been fairly happy it. But I thought I'd check around before replacing it. Has anyone gone from an Icon Auto to an AirSense 10? Are you happy with it? One of my complaints with the Icon Auto is it runs out of water in about 5-6 hours. The AirSense 10 has a smaller reservoir. Does it run dry during the night? Also can I just look at the machine to tell my nightly numbers? I see comments about software and computers. With my Icon I just turn the dial and it has my AHI and such. Does the AirSense10 have the same or do I have to get on the computer to check?

Jk
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Icon auto to AirSense 10 experience ?
(02-28-2016, 11:43 PM)Greenej Wrote: Hi folks. My Icon Auto died the other day. So I need a new machine. I've had the Icon Auto since it first came out and have been fairly happy it. But I thought I'd check around before replacing it. Has anyone gone from an Icon Auto to an AirSense 10? Are you happy with it? One of my complaints with the Icon Auto is it runs out of water in about 5-6 hours. The AirSense 10 has a smaller reservoir. Does it run dry during the night? Also can I just look at the machine to tell my nightly numbers? I see comments about software and computers. With my Icon I just turn the dial and it has my AHI and such. Does the AirSense10 have the same or do I have to get on the computer to check?

Jk

Hello greenej,

The resmed airsense 10 autoset will provide you some numbers and informations directly on it's control screen in the sleep report option.

It will give you your using time last night, you AHI for last night. It will show you a happy or froom face to show if your humidifier worked correctly and another icon to tell you if you had to many large leaks.

Also it can provide you more information for a certain period of time.

Those informations help but the use of a software like SleepyHead will provide you more useful informations that will help you for your therapy.

On my side I just take the SD card from the machine and use a SD card reader to transfer my data in my computer and I can analyse more my data Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Greenej,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and good luck to you on your machine decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The amount of water used by the humidifier in the A10 is a function of the humidity in your room. The more arid your room the more water will be used and vice versa. When I started with the A10 i filled the reservoir full and watched what happened for a week or so. I live in a fairly humid area and I rarely use up to the first fill line in a night. I rarely fill it half way. YMMV.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2016, 11:43 PM)Greenej Wrote: Hi folks. My Icon Auto died the other day. So I need a new machine. I've had the Icon Auto since it first came out and have been fairly happy it. But I thought I'd check around before replacing it. Has anyone gone from an Icon Auto to an AirSense 10? Are you happy with it? One of my complaints with the Icon Auto is it runs out of water in about 5-6 hours. The AirSense 10 has a smaller reservoir. Does it run dry during the night? Also can I just look at the machine to tell my nightly numbers? I see comments about software and computers. With my Icon I just turn the dial and it has my AHI and such. Does the AirSense10 have the same or do I have to get on the computer to check?

Jk
Hi Greenji,
The AirSense 10 humidifier holds 1 1/2 cups, that is 12 ounces of water. I have never used more than half a reservoir full per night here in dry-ish Santa Barbara.
To get your ahi number you have to hold two buttons for a second and get into the clinition's menu. It is a bit of an annoying bother.
Sleepyhead software is not trivial to set up and understand, but the information it sets out is amazing with the AirSense using the SD card and Windows. (No way to use an iPad
that I can see).
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-29-2016, 06:47 PM)Santa Barbara Wrote: To get your ahi number you have to hold two buttons for a second and get into the clinition's menu.

You only have to do that once. While in the clinician menu turn the dial to get to "essentials" and change it to "plus". From then on so long as you don't change that setting the AHI will show up on the top of the screen every morning.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
r
(02-29-2016, 09:41 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(02-29-2016, 06:47 PM)Santa Barbara Wrote: To get your ahi number you have to hold two buttons for a second and get into the clinition's menu.

You only have to do that once. While in the clinician menu turn the dial to get to "essentials" and change it to "plus". From then on so long as you don't change that setting the AHI will show up on the top of the screen every morning.

Thank you so very much! I have set "essentials" to "plus" and every morning the ahi checking ritual will be a little easier. Really appreciate your reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2016, 12:48 AM)Santa Barbara Wrote:
(02-29-2016, 09:41 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: You only have to do that once.
Thank you so very much! I have set "essentials" to "plus" and every morning the ahi checking ritual will be a little easier. Really appreciate your reply.

Glad to help, but please stop messing with the fonts! If you prefer different ones than the site default (which is whatever font the user prefers) set them that way with your browser. Please don't impose them on others.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
So I thought I'd follow up with what I found. I did purchase an AirSense 10 ( ladies version ). It is quieter than the icon auto. But double the price. I also purchased the heated w/humidity assist hose. I have everything on auto. The water chamber does not run dry but I end up with a dry mouth and throat the way I would when the icon ran out. I'm staying with the auto settings a few days then I'll play with the humidity. The mask fit test does not work. I pulled the mask far enough off that it was free flow and it didn't report failure until I took it all the way off. I am sleeping but I can't say better or worse because I've been without a cpap for several days.

The other thing I'm keeping an eye on.. The sleep results numbers are completely different than what I saw with the icon. My pressure is fairly low range. 4 - 13. The normal spot for me is 5. With the Icon it was rare to go above 10 and when I did I woke up. The AirSense is saying I'm running at 12.5. The AHI is around 4 with the AirSense and it was 0.3 with the Icon. (Non-allergy season) I've been a cpap user for years. It's not the mask. I know what an ill fitting mask behaves like. Im going to go get a pillow wedge and add it to my ramp of pillows and see if that improves it.

Now the Icon was fairly old ( got it when they first came out ). It's possible it was going nuts and was not reporting correctly. The spouse says I did not toss or turn or startle awake as much as with the icon. I will say I like the quiet. The icon was loud enough I could not hear the kids crying, the door opening, the child gate rattling or the stairs creaking ( can you tell the kids try to sneak downstairs ). I've always been afraid the fire alarm will go off and I won't hear it. The AirSense is quiet enough I can hear all of those. Thought I'd follow up for anyone else who might be considering making the switch.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought I'd reply with one last post for this thread. The AirSense is being returned. I ordered a new Icon Auto and it arrived yesterday. I forgot how wonderful a good nights sleep is. The AirSense blew too hard too much. It was running the pressure at the highest setting in the range. It's not the mask as I use the same mask for both. For me the Icon just seems to be a better choice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 418 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 103 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 393 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,184 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
Sad F&P ICON auto is dead Letsgomom 19 14,316 01-09-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: capman911

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.