Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ideal room temperature
Ideal room temperature
I’ve read that anything over 75 degrees Fahrenheit is disruptive to sleep. I keep my room temperature at 77 and that feels acceptable but I wonder if that’s contributing to any sleep disruptions.

I’m curious to know what temperatures others are sleeping at.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ideal room temperature
Never kept track of the exact temp., but I like it cool. I do sleep better that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
The bedroom I've been renting since becoming disabled at Mom's has a poorly designed ductwork that leaves this one room warmer in the summer and cooler in winter than the rest of the house. I have a 12k BTU window A/C that I set at 70 over most warm nights. The way this window is designed, the A/C is only about a foot off the floor. A ceiling fan circulates the air from there. I can sleep with the room between 70-72, and any more or less and it's seeming to be uncomfortable.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The truth is that there is no optimal temperature for every person due to physiological variances. Many people believe that 72-degrees F is a good daytime temperature and 65-68-degrees is a good nighttime temperature. But due to metabolic activity, some people sleep hot, some people sleep cold, and those with thyroid issues can perceive temperature differently.

The only real answer is to keep a sleep diary and experiment until you can be comfortable 90% of the time.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
When it comes to comfort temperature ranges, my wife's is about as wide as a human hair. It's too cold......it's too warm. And, she doesn't like the a/c or heat blowing right on her while in a car. 

I can adapt some. She gets the chills while shopping in Walmart.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I think there is something to ideal room temperature, with summer here just before I go to my bedroom I test room temperature with a infrared temperature gun by checking objects heat signature. If the temperature is above 80'F I know I have to turn the fan on, if around 75'F or lower I will get a good nights rest usually. Temperature and atmospheric humidity has lot to do with rain-out also with humidity settings on our Cpap machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
It depends. It also varies by seasons. And relative humidity plays a great role in the temperature you actually perceive.

This is the reason that you may feel comfortable with room temp of 68F in summers but would get chills in winters at the same temperature.

So there is no set rule for person/day/location.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the feedback. I guess it goes back to listening to the body. At 77 F during the summer time I don’t seem to ever wake up feeling too hot or too cold.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad CSA, Body temperature and Spicy foods. Boodmaster 6 894 04-08-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Advice for first time CPAP traveller - sharing a room with people. Hopingforachange 5 674 07-19-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: djont57
  Question on Polysomnograms and Ideal Therapy cmpman1974 6 549 02-14-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Room for improvement? rabidhamster 9 1,053 11-22-2022, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense11 temperature regulation Lostsleep 25 8,204 10-23-2022, 01:18 PM
Last Post: M Friedman
  out of the emergency room, no insurance. what are my options? eighto 4 765 07-18-2022, 10:23 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  What would an ideal APAP/CPAP machine be? What features etc? sndraco 17 1,628 04-05-2022, 07:40 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.