Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

If Dreamwear Under the Nose mask is too noisy, what might be better?
RE: If Dreamwear Under the Nose mask is too noisy, what might be better?
Mask Wars, episode 473! Smile

The Brevida's pillows are supposed to protrude farther into the nostrils. That's not a bug; that's a feature. The silicone is very soft, without the ridges designed into the P10's pils; the Brevida's are not supposed to sit outside the nostrils, which anyone coming from the P10 needs to take into account. There are two sizes, XS/S and M/L. I've had no nostril irritation from the Brevida, not even at first. So, having started my nas-pil adventure with that mask, I also haven't bought any lanolin.

The single-backstrap elastic headgear is similar between the two, but the Brevida's includes velcro on both sides (extending way back) and disconnecting clips at the front, which I never use (not to be confused with the strap-shortening clips of the P10, which are purely a kluge because no velcro was included in that design). Both can be disassembled to replace the strap, but the Brevida is easier, in fact it's obvious without needing to consult the user's guide for instructions. But the Brevida's strap lasts much longer because there is no problem from stretching: the more it stretches, the more slack you take up with the velcro.

The Brevida has a ball-and-socket joint at the hose/frame connection; P10 none. (That doesn't matter if you route the hose up your face to the top of your head and anchor it there, which I don't do. The headgear doesn't provide for that anyway.) The Brevida has a quick-disconnection at the other end of the short hose; P10 none.

But "Peace" and all that good stuff, because masks are, as we know, subjective & personal. Recommendations can be useful, but in any case ya just gotta try it and see.

This has reminded me to try the P10 again, which I'll do tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2018, 01:50 PM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:27 AM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: I haven't been able to understand why so many people are so crazy about the P10, when the Brevida is obviously better. 

Aside from the fact that the Brevida felt like a clam that was sucking on my nose? ...

That is a unique benefit!
Grin

I don't like anything touching my face, so the full face mask doesn't immediately appeal to me. If I can get something like my first mask to fit without ever hurting (ideally with less skin irritation), that seems like it would be a win. Many "normal" substances make my skin hurt or break out, so less material seems likely to be better. I'd try a cloth mask before a silicone one touching a big ring around my face...

I'm seriously leaning toward ordering the cushions for both Brevida and P10 and just holding them on my nose to get a sense of the fit. It seriously peeves me that I have to call the stupid DME on the phone to find basic pricing information for this stuff. From a customer service standpoint, if I have to use the telephone to answer my questions, I consider it a fail. (I hate the phone.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2018, 02:20 PM)willo Wrote: . . . It seriously peeves me that I have to call the stupid DME on the phone to find basic pricing information for this stuff. . .

If you are not going to use insurance, may I suggest that you look online for these items. I found the P10 pillow replacement cheaper online than my what copay is from the DME.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the Brevida mask but it doesn't adjust enough for my small face/head. The headgear doesnt come in sizes like the Wisp I use--I can get a smaller frame and petite cushion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2018, 03:06 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I tried the Brevida mask but it doesn't adjust enough for my small face/head.  The headgear doesnt come in sizes like the Wisp I use--I can get a smaller frame and petite cushion.

Didn't this come up some number of months ago, and ISTR that you were using an early revision of the Brevida that had discrete adjustment rather than continuous?  It was sort of like the adjuster on the snap-back baseball caps, wasn't it?  I remember seeing a picture of that on the F&P web site.  The later revision of the backstrap headgear has continuous velcro on both sides, pretty much infinitely adjustable (for small values of "infinite").

Edited to add: OK, here they are ... old & new:

Post Reply Post Reply
I wear the Dreamwear nasal cushion...I wear foam earplugs to eliminate the noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2018, 02:20 PM)willo Wrote: I'm seriously leaning toward ordering the cushions for both Brevida and P10 and just holding them on my nose to get a sense of the fit.

You can simulate, but only approximately, the P10's so-called "pillows" without buying that nosepiece (which would be wasted money if you don't eventually buy a P10 to go with it).  Here's how:  Get (from wherever) two marbles that are just large enough not to fit into your nostrils, and an elastic band or strap that is long enough to fit around your head, mimicking the backstrap of a mask.  (A CPAP chin strap might work OK for that.)  Press the marbles against your nostrils and hold them there with the elastic band around the back of your head.  Tighten the band if necessary so the marbles are snug.

That is only approximate because you'll need to breathe through your mouth.  But it should give you some idea of how comfortable the P10 can be.

I can't think of a way to simulate the Brevida's nas-pil nosepiece without buying one.  No, to this user it's not clammy; it's just soft and comfortable and unobtrusive and, dare I say it, friendly (a guarantee of good sleep).  Yes, it does cover slightly more of the nose than the P10's under-the-nose design does, but that's not a big deal IMO, and they did it that way to get a better seal.  It's nothing like a nasal mask covering the entire nose or a modern full-face mask covering the nostrils and mouth.  You can tell pretty well from F&P's photos what it'll be like, and just assume that it's soft and painless.  OTOH, what Resmed's P10 photos don't tell you is how uncomfortable those hard silicone ridges pressing against your nostrils can be. To me, they seem like miniature hollow silicone versions of cut-glass stoppers from fancy booze decanters. Just look at the shape of 'em, and you'll see.

I count myself lucky to have come along late in the game, so that I happened to start my CPAP adventure with the Brevida rather than the P10 (after a few days with a Resmed Mirage FX issued by the sleep clinic).  I have to assume that many people who continue to use the P10 despite having pain or sores from it just don't know that the Brevida easily solves those problems, along with having vastly better headgear (elastic and velcro) and hose attachments (swiveling elbow with diffuser, and quick disconnection). Also, the Brevida can easily be used with ear loops rather than a backstrap, if you can find some the right length; the frame and its clips have two sets of possible attachment points for those.

For those P10 users who have no discomfort, that's great.  I happen not to be one of them, so after last night, my P10 has gone back on the shelf simply because there's no reason to use it when I already have the painless Brevida, which is similar (minimal nosepiece, minimal headgear, very light, very quick to put on and take off) but better.

Subjectively and personally, I give the P10 two stars and the Brevida four stars out of five.

I'm enough of a chump that when Resmed introduces the P20 I might buy one, but only if it's obvious that the discomfort problems of the P10 have been fixed and that Resmed is trying to leapfrog F&P and have the new best-in-class nas-pil mask.  Of course, they'll also need to fix the P10's stretchy backstrap; that seems trivial to do unless F&P has patents.

To me, the perfect mask would have the nasal-cushion style of that Dreamwear variant with just about everything else from the Brevida (no large frame, no hollow frame), but it wouldn't be leaky like the Dreamwear n-c.  It would be completely non-invasive and would not cause henrys, a.k.a. monstrils. So I dream on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2018, 12:59 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 02:20 PM)willo Wrote: I'm seriously leaning toward ordering the cushions for both Brevida and P10 and just holding them on my nose to get a sense of the fit.

You can simulate, but only approximately, the P10's so-called "pillows" without buying that nosepiece (which would be wasted money if you don't eventually buy a P10 to go with it).  Here's how:  Get (from wherever) two marbles that are just large enough not to fit into your nostrils, and an elastic band or strap that is long enough to fit around your head, mimicking the backstrap of a mask.  (A CPAP chin strap might work OK for that.)  Press the marbles against your nostrils and hold them there with the elastic band around the back of your head.  Tighten the band if necessary so the marbles are snug.

That is only approximate because you'll need to breathe through your mouth.  But it should give you some idea of how comfortable the P10 can be.

Fats: Instead of writing fantasy why don't you put some of those writing skills to good use and and volunteer to be a Wiki writer?

willo: Check out this link if you haven't already. Lot's of mask reviews. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-C...sk-Reviews
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
willo,
Besides reading the mask reviews (good suggestion), look over the Mask Primer.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2018, 01:46 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Fats: Instead of writing fantasy why don't you put some of those writing skills to good use and and volunteer to be a Wiki writer?

I like how when there's a clam sucking on your nose, that's not fantasy, but when there are marbles (or decanter stoppers) in my nostrils, that's fantasy. Can you say "double standard"? (Sure! I knew you could.)

As for the wiki, thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think y'all would want my fantasies there. Better to keep it pure. (Seriously, I'm too opinionated for that. Not objective enough.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 5 101 49 minutes ago
Last Post: BuzzaJim
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 253 9 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 3 16,831 04-15-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: PinehillJoe
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 119 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Dreamwear vs P30i Whacked 0 104 04-09-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Whacked
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,933 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 300 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.