Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

If I don't sleep through my events increase
If I don't sleep through my events increase
If I sleep through the night for 7 - 8 hours I regularly average 2 - 3 events an hour.

If my sleep is disturbed either from a trip to the bathroom or any other awakening event my average events increase to 5 - 10 an hour by morning. If I am woken up it is generally after 4 - 5 1/2 hours of sleep at around 2 events an hour.

My CPAP Rx is currently 9 cmH2O ...

Any ideas why the events increase so dramatically after my sleep is interrupted and is there anything I can do to eliminate or decrease the additional events I am experiencing after sleep interruption.

Thanks, Marc
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: If I don't sleep through my events increase
Perhaps it is the other way around, and if your RDI/AHI is climbing you tend to rouse. Makes sense to me Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the ResScan software and have downloaded my data. The hour or two leading up to my awakening is consistently at 0 - 1 AHI. After I go back to sleep it spikes to 8 - 12 AHI on average but as high as 30 - 40 AHI on a couple of occasions during the last hour of sleep.

So I don't think I am being woken up to pee because of increased AHI.

Hope the extra information helps - Can I provide anything else?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2015, 04:29 PM)mwarshofsk Wrote: I have the ResScan software and have downloaded my data. The hour or two leading up to my awakening is consistently at 0 - 1 AHI. After I go back to sleep it spikes to 8 - 12 AHI on average but as high as 30 - 40 AHI on a couple of occasions during the last hour of sleep.

So I don't think I am being woken up to pee because of increased AHI.

Hope the extra information helps - Can I provide anything else?

yeah, that is why I included RDI in the equation. RERA don't register on any of the Resmed machines except the Airsense10 Auto *for her* RERA + AHI = RDI.

getting up to pee, in particular, is a symptom of apnea events due to atrial natriuretic peptides being released in response to hypoxia. An oximeter might help to prove or disprove that theory. An AHI of 30 to 40 while under treatment is high. Are you having untreated Central Apnea?

Post Reply Post Reply
These events could be false positives. If you are tossing and turning or takes you awhile to get back to sleep, and on the other end, you are waking up but just lying there. Usually they will be reported as CA's because our breathing while awake is sporadic as opposed to our patterns while asleep.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mwarshofsk,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, you are on a fixed pressure. perhaps the same thing that is causing you to rouse (whatever that is) is also causing you to require higher pressure. Maybe being more congested than usual, for instance. I am on autopap and those early morning hours between 3 and 6:30 when I normally wake are when my pressures rise above the median. If I have any extra congestion, the amount the pressures rise can differ from normal nights by quite a bit. normally I stay in the 11 range at that time, but congestion can max me out to 15.

Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like you're on fixed CPAP, but I didn't think that machine gave detailed AHI data. With the limited information you have, your AHI is still relatively high, even before disturbance. This is not medical advise, but I think you are in a position where you should try some higher pressure and observe the results. Increasing pressure by 1.0 cm should reduce AH events. You may need that additional pressure support for different sleep positions or sleep stage. Give it a try, and if the results point in a positive direction, you can consider additional small increases, or if your AHI settles in at generally under 3.0 AHI, that might be good enough. If pressure increase causes higher AHI, you need to back down to current prescription. Note it usually takes several nights to observe a trend.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Daria, I was not familiar with the RDI - thanks for the education! A brief read tells me that is a possibility for me as well as different levels of congestion. Thanks

Sgear, I wondered if while I was trying to get back to sleep if I was having false CA's. Honestly, I am still not clear on exactly what a CA is. Also, its interesting that the nights I wake up to pee, but fall right back to sleep I maintain an AHI between 2 - 3. It only escalates when I am having trouble getting back to sleep.

Back to Daria, I think I may be experiencing both false CAs and untreated CAs. I have had only one night that I woke up literally feeling suffocated. I had never felt like that for the 5+ years I had untreated apnea or any other night in the last 2 months. Didn't like it Sad I blamed it on the hotel room I happened to be in that evening along with extra congestion.

80+ percent of the nights I have had the CPAP (only 2+ months now) my sleep has been great and my AHI < 5. I am an IT guy, so I was psyched to find this forum and get the ResScan software. I love data as I am a database programmer Smile There literally has been less than 10 nights where my AHI > 5. I haven't slept through the night in 6+ years and I am doing that half the time now. I love feeling rested and excited about life! So being armed with data I can see that my sleep pattern (number of AHIs throughout different hours of the night) is pretty consistent night to night. The outliers bother me as I covet my sleep and CPAP machine now ... LOL ... so just wanting to tweak things a little if it makes sense.

How do you treat untreated CAs? Thinking-about

Are my expectations too high to want an AHI < 5 ALL the time?

As its been only two months, might I need a bit more time to adjust to the therapy? Dont-know

Lastly, am I better off going to an APAP at some point?

Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses! Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, I like the way you think. My sleep Doc started me at 8.0 cm. I tweaked it to 8.2 and then 8.4 cm and saw some benefit. The Doc wasn't happy with me at our 1 month consult for changing the setting. After a chat about being a "grown ass man" who is his own best health advocate we came to an agreement ... LOL ... They bumped it to 9.0 based on my first month's data. I am waiting for the 2 month follow-up and to actually "own" the machine and then I will experiment with incremental changes as you suggested.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 328 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 263 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 159 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 174 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 150 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.