Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

If the CPAP works for you, what is your expected AHI?
RE: If the CPAP works for you, what is your expected AHI ?
Agree that the leak rate is too high.   The thing is with a high leak rate, your AHI data may be inaccurate.  There are a lot of breaks in therapy.  Do you feel you are waking up from the mask leaks and/or higher pressure?

Are you still using a full face mask and does the mask fit properly?  You could try a mask liner.  

Try bringing your maximum pressure down a notch until you can get the leaks under control.
Also, use EPR at 2 or 3 as long as you don’t see a major increase in Clear Airway events.

I hesitate to recommend a change to even higher pressures if that triggers more leaks.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lots of OA and flow limits, and your breathing looks restricted even at higher pressures. I'd be very tempted to try a soft cervical collar and see if that helps and maybe increase the EPR setting from 1 to 3.

Alternatively we could try doing a more disciplined self-titration. It takes some patience, but it sorts out the issues better. To do this, put the machine in fixed pressure CPAP mode. Start at a pressure of 10 and observe results. If OA are present, increase pressure each night or session by 1-cm. If you reach 18 cm after 8-sessions of at least 3-hours each, and can't control the OA, then a different approach may be needed. If OA are not controlled by pressure or positional therapy (cervical collar), you may need to talk to your doctor about a bilevel titration test. Hopefully, we find a fixed pressure that works, and you can get the leaks under control.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote=OpalRose]

Thanks for your super-quick response!  Thanks 

I did wake up a few times during the night due to air leakage.  Each time, I readjusted  the mask & resumed sleeping . I'll manage to
control this issue . So far, I either tighten up the straps or reposition the mask (i.e. lift the mask up & set it back down on my face ) .  I would appreciate any additional
suggestions to deal with this air leakage problems .
Post Reply Post Reply
[Quote=SleepRider]

Thanks for your kind response !  Your suggestions sound very interesting . I'll digest the info and implement them for a satisfactory solution .
Post Reply Post Reply
Tommngo, it's worth remembering, that your baseline AHI was near 30, and as this thread started you were near 15. While you are still having relatively high results, you have cut that significantly already. I'm sure you will get there, and perhaps faster if you try the soft cervical collar.

The mask primer in my signature was written by member Bonjour. It is really good, and you may need to try other masks or types of masks eventually. One thing you will see consistently mentioned is that the right mask does not need to be cranked down tight. If you can't get a fit with a mask "floating" on your face, it's time to look at something else.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2018, 11:00 PM)CB91710 Wrote: Much better when it is working, but you need to address the leakage issues when the pressure ramps up.
Try a soft cervical collar (about $10 at the local drug store) to help keep your chin up.
To help prevent mouth leaks, push your tongue into the roof of your mouth and apply light suction.
Do this so that it becomes 2nd nature, whether awake or asleep.

Once you get the leakage resolved, I'd look at moving the max pressure up if needed.

Thanks for your precious practical tips !  I'll try the soft cervical collar for sure .
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='Sleeprider Wrote:pid='269941' dateline='1535378815']

Your ref. on Mask is first rate !

BTW, I  just bought the soft cervical support today . Hope it improves my apnea  Sleep-on-pillow Thumbs-up-2

Thanks  , Sleeprider & OpalRose , for all your compassionate help ... Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote=CB91710; SleepRider]

I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw my AHI  reading this morning : 4.0 over 7 hours & 15 minutes Thumbs-up-2  !

This is a big improvement . The fact is that I wore a soft cervical support last night  on your advice ! My breathing during the night seemed much easier and more regular than previous nights ! I still have to work on the leakage problem, though . In any case, this is some good news in two years using the CPAP machine on & off  !  I hope I am on right track ....Thanks CB91710,  SleepRider & OpalRose ! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad the collar made a difference. You seem to be heading in the right direction.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to helping hold your jaw up, the collar can also help with positional apnea caused by dropping not only your chin, but your entire head.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 8 181 Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 510 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  The collar works for me! CROWMAN 16 2,155 01-09-2021, 05:50 PM
Last Post: OutandBack
  Mouth taping, What tape works best for you? yankees123 30 4,556 04-05-2020, 09:59 AM
Last Post: yankees123
  resmed s9 expected motor life exceeded ront1953 14 24,431 01-27-2020, 02:10 PM
Last Post: DaveL
Exclaimation [News] New Poll is in the Works PollCat 10 1,866 11-18-2019, 09:17 AM
Last Post: mper6794
  [Pressure] Would a change in pressure be expected CentralSA 10 1,674 08-19-2019, 08:09 PM
Last Post: CentralSA

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.