Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

If the CPAP works for you, what is your expected AHI?
RE: If the CPAP works for you, what is your expected AHI ?
[quote= Sleeprider & OpalRose']

I have set the pressure range at : 10-16 cm H2O & used the soft cervical support for the past few days . The AHI  readings are very encouraging , ranging from 0.  to 2.8  . But I still have to deal with intermittent air leak from the mouth . Last night,  wearing the soft cervical support, I lowered the pressure to :  4 - 6 cm H2O  range and got excellent results :  no air leak  and AHI = 0.2   !!    I'll  continue with this pressure setting for another few days to ensure it's not a fluke . 

Another theoretical question arises: from the health benefit viewpoint, is it better to have low AHI at low pressure or low AHI at higher pressure ?

Let me explain my question by an example :    now  I get  AHI = 0.2  at Pressure range : 4-6 cm H2O without air leak  .  If  I still get  AHI =0.2  but at pressure range 8-10 cm H2O without air leak . Which pressure range should I use then  ( i.e.  4-6 cm H2O  or 8-10 cm H2O ) ?

Please comment & advise .  Thanks .
Post Reply Post Reply
Tommy, we use CPAP to keep the airway patent and avoid the sleep disruptions as well as the apnea that occur without therapy. The lowest pressure that provides you the most comfortable sleep and controls your apnea is what you want to shoot for. In your case, much of your obstructive problem appears to have been positional, and that was mostly resolved with the soft cervical collar. The residual apnea and obstruction may be responsive to lower pressures than you thought possible. All I can suggest is that you try lower pressure and we can take a look at the data to see if everything looks good. I suspect it won't change things like tidal volume or respiratory rate, so if it makes you sleep better as a result of less leaks, it's a great solution for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow !!  I am so lucky today with your lightning quick response   !!  Just unbelievable ...  Too-funny

Thanks for your precious advice   Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: If the CPAP works for you, what is your expected AHI?
Tommy,
It’s not easy to answer your question as to which pressure range you should use, but if it were myself...I would go with the lowest possible range and still have a low enough AHI, a low leak rate, but most important would be how I felt.

I’ve had mornings with  low AHI’s, some 0’s  and some .2, but felt like crap, so my suggestion is to stick with what causes you to feel rested.

Give your settings at least 4-5 days before making further changes. If your using the lower pressure range and after a couple days, you start to see an increase in obstructives, then raise your minimum pressure .5 at a time. Eventually, you’ll reach that sweet spot.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: If the CPAP works for you, what is your expected AHI?
(09-05-2018, 08:19 AM)OpalRose Wrote: ..............
I’ve had mornings with  low AHI’s, some 0’s  and some .2, but felt like crap, so my suggestion is to stick with what causes you to feel rested.

Great advices !   I will implement SleepRider's  & your advicea for an optimum course of action for sure .
Thanks , OpalRose for your kind help .   Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 2 45 29 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 504 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  The collar works for me! CROWMAN 16 2,142 01-09-2021, 05:50 PM
Last Post: OutandBack
  Mouth taping, What tape works best for you? yankees123 30 4,548 04-05-2020, 09:59 AM
Last Post: yankees123
  resmed s9 expected motor life exceeded ront1953 14 24,408 01-27-2020, 02:10 PM
Last Post: DaveL
Exclaimation [News] New Poll is in the Works PollCat 10 1,861 11-18-2019, 09:17 AM
Last Post: mper6794
  [Pressure] Would a change in pressure be expected CentralSA 10 1,668 08-19-2019, 08:09 PM
Last Post: CentralSA

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.