Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

If tired enough will I eventually sleep?
If tired enough will I eventually sleep?
Questions: 

Will I eventually sleep from exhaustion?  Can a doctor prescribe something to make me sleep for a sleep study?

I've pretty much given up on sleeping.  I put on the cpap and lay there with my eyes closed fully aware that I'm awake.  After 45 minutes I pull the cpap off and then pee.  The process repeats essentially all night to the point where my body and nervous system give up on sleep and I'm just laying there exhausted.  I usually start this torturous process at about 10:00pm and finally give up trying to sleep at about 4am.  Staying in bed is just a frustrating waste of time.  Sometimes I just want to lay on the living room floor and pass out, but even that doesn't work.

The neurologist can't see me until December, even his PA can't see me until August.  My urologist is at a loss as to what's causing my overactive bladder even with two expensive medications in my system.  I can't fall asleep for sleep studies and if I could I'd have to pee every 20 minutes.

I'm in an infinite loop with the doctors.  Frankly, I'm losing the will to live like this and I'm sad.  It's not a quality of life I can bear much longer.  I'm up at 4am again doing dishes and laundry waiting for the sun to come up.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: If tired enough will I eventually sleep?
You can try Diphenhydramine which is an Antihistamine or a Melatonin supplement. Both may help you fall asleep. They both should only be used short term though.

Either one can be picked up at Walmart or other drug stores. They're also online.

Also here's a link about Sleep Hygiene that might help. https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/sleep-hygiene
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Desmopressin will hold your peeing for the whole night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes and yes are my answers to your 2 questions.

Yes, exhaustion can, and eventually will, force you to fall asleep. That can be anywhere at any time, like driving. I've been there and done that without the requisite T-shirt, but also thankfully there were no accidents.

Yes, there are medications you can be given to sleep during a sleep study. I don't know them by name.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you had a physical lately?  There are many physical illnesses that cause the problems.  I sympathize with you as I am going through similar situation now.  I will lay in bed for several hours waiting to get to sleep, sleep for an hour or so, then repeat.  My current CPAP doesn't record any data but I wear an Watch at night.  Via a sleep app I am averaging about 3 hours sleep per night with about 30 minutes deep sleep.  

I have visited both my Primary Care Doctor and my Cardiologist and have an upcoming appointment with a Sleep Doctor in hopes of getting a sleep study conducted.  

Please, keep plugging away until you find some answers, and, good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all.  I was kind of venting after giving up on sleep at 3:30AM.  I've tried diphenhydramine (ZzzQuil) but nothing stronger so might see if I can get something stronger from doc.  For the overactive bladder the doc has me on Vesicare and Myrbitriq.  He said they were the latest and greatest, but they don't seem to be doing anything and are really expensive.

Part of the problem I'm dealing with is a small town medical system.  Most of the time it's fine, but the sudden occurrence of overactive bladder, apnea and night jolts (full body twitches) has them baffled and mostly lacking the resources to do anything.  This seems to be something beyond apnea.  I'm trying to get a referral to a university medical center 2 hours away but no luck with that yet. 

Sorry about the tone of the original message.  In the wee hours of the morning I'm very frustrated and not thinking clearly.  I finally got about 45 minutes of sleep between 8:30 and 9:15 and that has helped.  I can believe how I've declined in health and energy from lack of sleep in just 6 months.

Thanks again for the replies.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tinman53, sounds like you can relate and I wish you good luck finding a solution.  I can't even believe I've been functioning with so little sleep, but I feel pretty miserable.  Thank goodness I'm retired as there is no way I could go to work like this. I look so terrible I'm embarrassed to even go out of the house.

I've had a bunch of tests done by primary doc, ENT, and urologist.  I've had a paralyzed vocal cord for years but that hasn't been an issue but may play a role in this situation.  Both the ENT and urologist suggested that the simultaneous occurrence of overactive bladder, twitching, and apnea may indicate an emerging neurologic problem like Parkinsons or multiple system atrophy.  The recommended neurologist has a 6 month wait time for appointment.  So, for now I'm hoping I can get some relief from meds and a referral to a major medical facility.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Ron

Quote:Both the ENT and urologist suggested that the simultaneous occurrence of overactive bladder, twitching, and apnea may indicate an emerging neurologic problem like Parkinsons or multiple system atrophy.

I think they're looking at a worst case scenario there. Many of us (myself included) have had the twitching (myoclonic jerks) and overactive bladder (nocturia) and had them clear up once the apnea was successfully treated.

In my case I also have fibromyalgia which can be associated with bowel and bladder problems and severe insomnia. Prior to going on the hose I was lucky to sleep two hours a night, in between frequent trips to the toilet. Doctors suggested zolpidem for the sleep and ditropan for the bladder - these both worked to a reasonable extent. Treatment of the apnea has greatly improved both conditions and eliminated the myoclonic jerks completely. I still have nights when I just can't get to sleep, even with a combination of zolpidem and valium (which is a potent cocktail) so I give myself an hour and if I haven't dropped off I go downstairs and curl up in a recliner. Then I put on a loop of "Amand the Watch Guy" on YouTube, and his voice is so soporific I usually fall asleep fairly quickly.

I suggest you do get a more powerful sleep agent such as zolpidem to get you past this current crisis. Once you're able to sleep with the hose I'm sure you'll see an improvement in the other symptoms. However just lying there with the mask on, knowing you won't get to sleep, is going to be counter-productive. If you're not asleep after an hour, go and watch Amand - he'll send you off! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
OP, You may be helped by a quality Magnesium  supplement. Even Epsom Salts baths may do wonders.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2018, 06:20 AM)crowtor Wrote: Desmopressin will hold your peeing for the whole night.

It might, but it didn't help me a bit. It wasn't until I started gabapentin that I slept through a night.

I'm not saying that will help everyone either. The point is rather that pretty much nothing helps everyone and we should be careful making sweeping claims.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 0 14 33 minutes ago
Last Post: EntRESTo
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 177 9 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 165 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 174 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 130 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.