Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

If tired enough will I eventually sleep?
RE: If tired enough will I eventually sleep?
Try taking melatonin.  It's not a sleeping pill.  It's a hormone supplement.  I take the 3mg pill, but have read that it works fine with even less.

Take it when you're ready to lay down to sleep, and all it does is 'help' you fall asleep a short while later.  The body is producing melatonin for this purpose already, the pill simply adds to that natural process.  I find that once I've taken it, I can read a book for a while, maybe 30 minutes give or take, and then my eyes are drooping and I can sense that I'm really ready to sleep.  Or I'll take it, turn out the light and listen to really soft music for a bit, then same effect.

If you take it before being ready to sleep, thinking it will work like a sleeping pill ... it will not work that way. The effect is just wasted.  Get your self ready to sleep before taking it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2018, 02:17 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 06:20 AM)crowtor Wrote: Desmopressin will hold your peeing for the whole night.

It might, but it didn't help me a bit.  It wasn't until I started gabapentin that I slept through a night.

I'm not saying that will help everyone either.  The point is rather that pretty much nothing helps everyone and we should be careful making sweeping claims.
Does anyone know of a forum for overactive bladder patients?  I appreciated the suggestion of desmopressin and had high hopes that it would work, but it didn't improve my situation.  I peed less volume (it slows the kidneys) but I still felt the urge to urinate frequently and many times a night.  Things actually seemed to get worse because the urologist told me to quit the other meds (Myrbitriq and Vesicare) as I started Noctiva (brand of desmopressin).  100mg of diphenhydramine (ZzzQuil) has helped me to achieve sleep quicker between pee breaks. To be honest I'm thinking many if not all of the things that are happening are rooted in the constant need to get up every 30 minutes (sometimes less!) to urinate.  My body's sleep cycles are all screwed up.  Now, for me the highest priority is to get this overactive bladder under control.  Honestly, I sleep so little that apnea doesn't even have a chance to interrupt my sleep anymore. These days it's about getting in an out of bed 15 times a night. 

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions!  I really appreciate having people who can relate to sleep issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2018, 09:24 AM)ronlecroy Wrote:
(07-01-2018, 02:17 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 06:20 AM)crowtor Wrote: Desmopressin will hold your peeing for the whole night.

It might, but it didn't help me a bit.  It wasn't until I started gabapentin that I slept through a night.

I'm not saying that will help everyone either.  The point is rather that pretty much nothing helps everyone and we should be careful making sweeping claims.
Does anyone know of a forum for overactive bladder patients?  I appreciated the suggestion of desmopressin and had high hopes that it would work, but it didn't improve my situation.  I peed less volume (it slows the kidneys) but I still felt the urge to urinate frequently and many times a night.  Things actually seemed to get worse because the urologist told me to quit the other meds (Myrbitriq and Vesicare) as I started Noctiva (brand of desmopressin).  100mg of diphenhydramine (ZzzQuil) has helped me to achieve sleep quicker between pee breaks. To be honest I'm thinking many if not all of the things that are happening are rooted in the constant need to get up every 30 minutes (sometimes less!) to urinate.  My body's sleep cycles are all screwed up.  Now, for me the highest priority is to get this overactive bladder under control.  Honestly, I sleep so little that apnea doesn't even have a chance to interrupt my sleep anymore. These days it's about getting in an out of bed 15 times a night. 

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions!  I really appreciate having people who can relate to sleep issues.

Something to consider:  Diphenhydramine can lead to Urinary Retention with symptoms like loss of bladder control, mild lower abdominal pain, and a weak urine stream.
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely ask your primary doc about sleeping meds BUT if you live alone, make sure you have someone with you any time you try a sleep med for the first time. Zolpidem turned my husband into a lunatic - rude, combative, and not at all like his normal self, and I have been told by other people the same thing. (He doesn't remember any of it.) Obviously it works fine for some people, and you might well be one of them, but take reasonable precautions so you don't wind up injured and alone.

The sleep med DH and I both use occasionally is Halcion (triazolam). It got a bad rep in the 80s because people were using it inappropriately and having psychotic episodes. (Directions clearly state it is fotr OCCASIONAL use and people were taking it every night for months on end.) My current doctor had to look it up, she had never heard of it, but it's still on the market and fortunately she is a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" practitioner. There are several other commonly used prescription sleep meds as well, but I stress again, make sure you have someone with you the first time you try any of them.

I took along both melatonin (which works pretty well for me) and Halcion to my sleep study and talked to the tech before I took anything because I didn't want to mess up the test results. He said either was fine so I took a Halcion to make sure I would get to sleep. I still didn't sleep a lot - all those wires, uncomfortable position, and Halcion lulls you to sleep rather than forcibly knocking you out - but I slept enough to get an acceptable result so it was worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 230 6 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 46 9 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 68 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 181 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,987 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 182 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 138 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.