Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with...
If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with...
I am giving up on the P10, I just can't get it to work out despite how much I love it. So, I am trying to learn to love the one I am with - the F10.

It appears that I am going to have to teach myself to lay still or install physical restraints on the bed to keep me from flopping around and bumping the FFM.

Also, of course the F10 works wonderful below a pressure of 15 for me, but at 15.6 things start going sideways (pun) and my effective therapy pressure appears to be 17.

Running in APAP mode - the results of a couple months of testing:

At 10.0, 14.6 my AHI runs between 12 and 15 with large leak at 0%
At 13, 15 my AHI runs between 8 and 10 with Large Leak at <1%
At 13, 15.6 my AHI runs between 5 and 7 with Large Leak at <2%
At 13.6,16.6 my AHI runs between 3 and 5 with Large Leak at about 15%
At 14, 17 my AHI runs around 2 and Large Leak is 25% or higher - lots higher...

Sigh. I wish I could believe the AHI of 2 at pressure of 17, but I expect it is a lie with the LL so high - but it is possible.

I don't care so much about getting the leaks down to zero. I just want them to shut up and stop making all the weird sounds all night which keeps me awake more than the Apnea's do/did.

I am trying the RemZzz mask liners which seem to act as noise suppressors more than leak suppressors for me. They seem to add a static 10 liters to my leak rate - from a base of about 5 to about 15, which means I am closer to going over the 24 limit before I start wiggling. I have tried tightening the head gear to the point it is painful, and that only helps a little.

If I don't use the liner, I can loosen the head gear and the F10 is reasonably comfortable until I start flopping and it starts buzzing.

Any suggestions? I have considered super gluing the mask to my face and eating through the hose hole.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with...
Hi Frank. Have you tried other full face masks besides the F10? I haven't used a full face mask myself, but from reading posts on this board, I get the impression that they are all different as far as how they fit. Maybe some of the other full face mask users will have suggestions for one that is less likely to leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2016, 06:37 AM)green wings Wrote: Hi Frank. Have you tried other full face masks besides the F10? I haven't used a full face mask myself, but from reading posts on this board, I get the impression that they are all different as far as how they fit. Maybe some of the other full face mask users will have suggestions for one that is less likely to leak.

I am going to contact my DME and see what options I have. I expect I am mostly locked into ResMed and if the insurance doesn't cover it I can not afford hundreds of dollars per test. I know that some online sources provide a "trial" purchase, but that wont help unless my insurance will eventual cover the one I find - assuming I find one.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that your reported data shows a definite trend towards lower AHI with more large leaks. This goes along with the news from Resmed that large leaks make it hard for the machine to distinguish events. It looks like you are on the right track.

I like my Resmed Mirage Quattro FFM but many hate them. It takes some work and persistence to get the MQ working right for you but once you do I think the mask is great. I had the same type of problems as you. Used a nasal mask but found out I had a lot of large leaks. Tried a chin strap-no joy. Tried a FFM but could not keep it from leaking into my eyes. Like you, I could get it to be leak free but a couple of hours later, after moving around in bed, the air leaks into my eyes would wake me up. My pressure was bilevel 16-20.

Once I have gotten the Mirage Quattro dialed in, and have used the same rig for a while, I just slap the mask on and get all zeros for leak rate quite consistently. When I change the headgear or cushions, my leak would go up a little for a while but was still plenty low.

There are several good articles by users on how to reduce/eliminate leaks with the Mirage Quattro and I have some additions to those if you are ever interested.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2016, 11:12 AM)PaytonA Wrote: There are several good articles by users on how to reduce/eliminate leaks with the Mirage Quattro and I have some additions to those if you are ever interested.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I am very interested. Isn't the Quattro basically the same as the F10 with different headgear and straps?
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME stocks one brand of masks, but can order any of them. Ask for what you want.
Check out the SimPlus and Amara View

There are several on here with your pressures and higher that should provide some insight
Post Reply Post Reply
The Mirage Quattro has an adjustable forehead stabilizer that helps the fit for varying facial features. I am not sure about any similarity to the F10 because I have never seen an F10 in person except I do know that the F10 lacks the forehead stabilizer. The 2 major complaints about the MQ are leaks and soreness at the bridge of the nose from the cushion. Both problems are solvable with some work and persistance.

I use the Simplus at times but prefer the Mirage Quattro. I have to readjust the Simplus more through the night to keep it leak free. I have no experience with the Amara View.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Frank,
I started with the ResMed Mirage Quattro, then shifted to the F&P Simplus. I still have a MQ, but it hasn't been on my face in over a year. I did a fair bit of reading here, and the Simplus seemed to be a fairly popular choice, and I found it comfortable as well. I don't have much issue with leaks, even tho I have some facial hair. I watch the leaks, and that tells me when I need to trim up. I also have found the RemZzz liners to be helpful. They seem to help diffuse any leaks, especially around my eyes, as that area seems to be the most bothersome for me.
Initially, I thought the RemZzzs would be too expensive, but I have found that they can be reused several times, laundered and recycled more, so the cost is pretty insignificant.

Hope this helps.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank -
If you actually liked the nasal pillows (but couldn't get the AirFit P10 to stay on) you might ask about other brands of nasal pillow mask. You don't HAVE to match the brand name with the machine. I still have a Mirage Swift LT frame and nasal pillows, which I occasionally switch to. It has a more robust frame than the P10, and so it stays in place much better.

Unless you know you need more mask then the pillows give you!
Deb
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2016, 05:26 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: Frank -
If you actually liked the nasal pillows (but couldn't get the AirFit P10 to stay on) you might ask about other brands of nasal pillow mask. You don't HAVE to match the brand name with the machine. I still have a Mirage Swift LT frame and nasal pillows, which I occasionally switch to. It has a more robust frame than the P10, and so it stays in place much better.

Unless you know you need more mask then the pillows give you!
Deb

I know, I do have to work with my DME since they have the exclusive contract with my Insurance - they have others I think, but it is a slow process to wait until time to ship a replacement and then change to order something I want to try, then wait until the next time for a shipment (6 months).

And, my problem is not with it falling off, I love the way it fits, and stays on with me, my problem is I breath through my mouth. There is a long thread here someplace with all the things I tried - multiple chinstraps, ace bandage wrapped over my mouth and around and under my chin, surgical tape over my mouth, denture adhesive to glue my lips shut, and more... They all lasted about an hour before my mouth would find a way to force a leak to breath through.

I still take it out occasionally for a nap and see if I can train myself to not open my mouth while sleeping, but so far no joy - no progress at all.

Smile

Frank
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 238 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice kaelin 3 515 12-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 367 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Would love some feedback on OSCAR data kewlpewl 51 4,918 11-09-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: kewlpewl
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,130 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
Arrow Would love some feedback on OSCAR data esaulcatnas 3 504 08-31-2023, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  I'd love a review of my data and/or advice, esp. re. waking up at night danielsomers 6 773 04-05-2023, 07:59 AM
Last Post: danielsomers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.