Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Im Thinking about getting a S9 autoset.
RE: Im Thinking about getting a S9 autoset.
To find run hours and version info: Start the machine. Hit Info button (top one - silver). Turn knob on right to the third screen. Run hours are listed first, firmware version listed second.

And if you take someone with you to purchase the item, it is recommended they stay OUTSIDE, with a cell phone, and that you have a pre-arranged time for you to exit, finished or unfinished.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Or meet in a public place like the parking lot of a grocery store. Do not tell them where you live which is why I do not recommend a check.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

(05-04-2012, 07:10 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Or meet in a public place like the parking lot of a grocery store. Do not tell them where you live which is why I do not recommend a check.

The experience here is there is far less danger in their knowing where you live than in your having cash available to take. Most of these are robbers, not burglars.

And the next to last such robbery reported here occurred in an open and very public area near a mall, as I recall. Very public, wherever it was. Getting rather brazen, per the cops.

On the robbers vs burglars - we have had several killings recently where the one who died was a burglar, shot by the homeowner. More of that, less crime, IMO. Seems burglaries are down in the statistics. Yeah!

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
thanks for your concern. but i need info on peoples experience on yhe auto as compared to set cpap pressure.

thanks.
My machine is an S9 Elite @ 12.6. Not terribly long ago my Dr ordered a home titration using an S9 Auto, which I used for 2 weeks. Though my experience may or may not be typical, the 2 weeks with the auto were so much better than my current machine that I am on the fence about purchasing one as well (Insurance has declined the auto since my elite is still relatively new).

Some people have trouble adjusting to the pressure changes during the night, but for me the significantly lower pressure was much more comfortable and I didn't wake up when the machine had to respond to an event. With my Elite at 12.6 fixed I have to wear a chin strap to minimize mouth leaks, with the auto I didn't wear the chin strap and had very minimal issues with mouth leak.
(05-07-2012, 09:24 PM)mckevin32 Wrote: My machine is an S9 Elite @ 12.6. Not terribly long ago my Dr ordered a home titration using an S9 Auto, which I used for 2 weeks. Though my experience may or may not be typical, the 2 weeks with the auto were so much better than my current machine that I am on the fence about purchasing one as well (Insurance has declined the auto since my elite is still relatively new).

Some people have trouble adjusting to the pressure changes during the night, but for me the significantly lower pressure was much more comfortable and I didn't wake up when the machine had to respond to an event. With my Elite at 12.6 fixed I have to wear a chin strap to minimize mouth leaks, with the auto I didn't wear the chin strap and had very minimal issues with mouth leak.

I started my xPAP life on an autoset, to use before my titration study. After a few weeks they had a rough idea of where to set a CPAP so they replaced it. Hated it. Like, hated it to the point of ripping the mask off my face the second night and flinging it across the room. Now, this is after using the same mask and the autoset for 9.5 hours the very first night I used xPAP. I didn`t like the pressure, hated the bloated feeling it gave me, loathed getting a stream of air in the eye when I rolled onto my side, etc - none of which I experienced previously, on the autoset... nor since, as I absolutely insisted on getting an autoset as my final machine.
(05-07-2012, 09:24 PM)mckevin32 Wrote: My machine is an S9 Elite @ 12.6. Not terribly long ago my Dr ordered a home titration using an S9 Auto, which I used for 2 weeks. Though my experience may or may not be typical, the 2 weeks with the auto were so much better than my current machine that I am on the fence about purchasing one as well (Insurance has declined the auto since my elite is still relatively new).

Chaddy--I can offer some more input re: the switch from an S9 Elite CPAP to an S9 AutoSet. I, too, have an Elite CPAP that's fairly new but has been sitting on the shelf for several weeks now while I have been using an AutoSet loaner from my DME. The pulmonologist went for this loaner after it was discovered that the Elite set to the pressure a recent sleep study showed produced 0 AHI proved to be WRONG! The AutoSet has found that I actually need higher pressure than the sleep study reported! This difference has also shown up in my AHI numbers which were always double digit and often up into the 20s with the CPAP set to the sleep study pressure (13). Since I began using the AutoSet, my AHI numbers have dropped down to and below 5. To get this result, the AutoSet is using pressures in the range of about 15 to just under 18, apparently what I really needed.
As far as using the AutoSet, I have no problems to report. When I first get tucked in with it, the pressure isn't noticeable at all because it starts low (the machine is set for a bottom pressure of 8). So, the effect is much like a very nice ramping when the night begins with the AutoSet.
If I happen to awaken during the night to use the facilities, I may notice a higher pressure going on, but for me this is simply reassuring that the AutoSet is dealing with apenas that are going, leaving me feeling I can just go back to sleep while the machine works.
After seeing the AutoSet results, the pulmonologist was impressed and confessed to me that my apnea has been difficult to control prior to the AutoSet.
So, tomorrow, I will be turning in both the loaner AutoSet and my Elite and picking up a new (or close to new) AutoSet in response to a new Rx from the doc. Smilehttp://www.apneaboard.com/forums/images/.../smile.gif
I am in a similar boat with Chaddy -- very close to buying an AutoSet (or trying to get one through insurance -- it has only been about a week and a half so far trying so I have not given up completely). So far, I am impressed with the reviews. However, a couple of questions came up. I will address them to the people who mentioned them but welcome any answers:

@mckevin32
What is a home titration? Does this satisfy your insurance company (I am being told I may need a new sleep study to get a new machine, presumably because they want more accurate titration, yet Dawei's post implies that the AutoSet is actually more accurate than a sleep study titration. I don't care so much about the cost of the study as the inconvenience, but my real goal is to always wake up, and always wake up alert and rested.

@chanlon
What is xPAP? I did not understand your post about starting xPAP on an Autoset. Do you mean EPR (or whatever it is that Resmed calls the variable exhilation pressure)?

@Dawai
I use nasal pillows, and have the feeling that the pressure is part of what keeps the seal. Are there issues with maintaining a seal at varying pressures? I'm guessing that even in the low range it is enough to maintain a seal (My CPAP right now is a constant 6 cm H20 and does fine with holding a seal as long as the nasal pillows are fresh and new)

I found your comments about the sleep technicians findings being wrong interesting. First of all, I would personally hesitate to call them "wrong" for two reasons: 1) The RT at the sleep study had access to a lot more data than your AutoSet has to determine what the proper pressure is, but more importantly 2) Your pressure requirements, if they are anything like mine, likely change from hour to hour and night to night. I think it would be an extremely rare sleep study that would be able to predict exactly what pressure you will need for every degree of fatigue, health, stage of sleep, etc. This is what is so intriguing to me about the AutoSet concept, even if it is not quite as comprehensive in data logging as a full polysomnograph session.

I finally got a call back today (over a week later) from the sleep lab saying that my (former) doctor will require a sleep study to renew my machine prescription. I say former because he obviously he has not seen fit to ever call me back and I therefore in the interim found a doctor who will. This other doctor looked at my 2006 results from a major university sleep lab and said I definitely had sleep apnea, and since my problem is not obesity and the physical structures that caused the sleep problem will not change without surgery, there was no need for a sleep study except for titration (hence my interest in the pros and cons of a sleep study for titration vs. an AutoSet.)

All opinions welcome here and hopefully Chaddy will not mind my piggy backing on this discussion. Thanks!
SlightlySleepy-- One of my observations to the technician at the hook-up stage of this recent sleep study was just as you mentioned. I could not (do not) see how a brief, one-night snapshot of a person's sleeping in a strange environment all hooked up can produce results that are totally valid. Yet, that's exactly what these very expensive sleep studies claim to do. There are no qualifications from either the sleep lab or from the pulmonologist to the effect that the results must be considered in light of the circumstances--limitations of it being only a one-night stand. Instead, the bottom line number--the pressure at which the pt. has no apeneas--is reported as the final word that is not to be questioned. This also occurred during my initial sleep study over 5 years ago. So, you can imagine how the discovery that this recent sleep study pressure results did not bring my apenas down to zero perplexed the doc! During a follow up visit with him, he told me that he had checked with the lab tech to verify that I had spent the night there on my back as I do at home. As for the pressure actually needed to get my AHIs down lower being different than the sleep study results, he had no explanation at all. He was as baffled as I was.
In my view, this limitation is in contrast with the AutoSet machine which tracks the ups and downs of a person's varying apnea events over time-- to me, too, a much improved approach to titration.
xPAP - generic term to include all PAP machines
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

There's a big huge set of difference between AutoPAP titration and a sleep study.

An AutoPAP of whatever brand can only detect apnea events. Some can distinguish between an obstructive event and a central event although this is highly debated. Some can detect snoring but any kind of vibration can give a false positive.

It cannot detect REM sleep. It can't even tell when you are asleep.
It cannot monitor your heart rate and oxygen (although some machines have an oximeter port)
It cannot monitor body movement.

A sleep study can do all that plus other stuff like breathing rate, accurate time, etc.

A sleep study is not without faults, too. You aren't at home so you don't sleep normally. And the test is usually for only a few hours. Using an AutoPAP to self-titrate could be seen as more accurate since you can use it for more than one night and it is in the comfort and security of your own home. But it would be sorely lacking in other diagnosis tools.

I would never rely on (nor recommend) an AutoPAP to diagnose sleep apnea. As much as I love the concept of AutoPAPs, they are just dumb machines.

I would use (and recommend) one to determine if CPAP treatment is adequate.

After you have the sleep test and get a machine, you should see your doctor in about 3-6 months. Sometimes, based on data, how you are feeling, etc, the doc will raise or lower the pressure. Yes, an AutoPAP during that time would be ideal as it would further narrow down your true needed pressure.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 104 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  For anyone who is thinking of giving up on CPAP because of the nuisance...... BigWing 3 374 02-12-2024, 07:04 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  [CPAP] I cannot keep my mask on, and I'm thinking of returning the machine. blakeh36 1 371 11-12-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Thinking I might lower my pressure David Clark 2 609 05-22-2023, 10:00 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,385 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,860 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki
  AirSense11 AutoSet dougsooley 4 755 10-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Last Post: dougsooley

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.