Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Im a Sleep Apnea Newbie...HELP!
Gross 
Im a Sleep Apnea Newbie...HELP!

I have had my CPAP machine for 5 days. It has definitely been a struggle to adjust but I think I am slowly getting there. I am using a nasal mask. I have some other new things going on and wonder if this is typical and hopefully temporary. I have woken up with some minor headaches. Also a couple of days I wake up and my teeth hurt. Its not in my sinuses, just general pain. That pain goes away after an hour or so.

The first night I used the machine, I was done after two hours. The next night I made it three hours. Now I am up to 7 hours. YAY ME!

Thanks for any help or words of encouragement!

Sleep Deprived in North Carolina
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Im a Sleep Apnea Newbie...HELP!
Both the pain and the headache could be signs that you have the headgear adjusted too tightly. Try loosening the straps some and see if that helps.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Way to go at getting up to 7 hours last night!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleepdeprivedNC,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good that you were finally able to get a full night of sleep.
CPAP can take some getting used to but just stick with it, it does get better.
You might have your headgear straps too tight, try loosening them a bit and see if that will help you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2014, 09:50 AM)NickDanger Wrote: Way to go at getting up to 7 hours last night!!

Thanks!
(08-13-2014, 10:11 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi sleepdeprivedNC,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might have your headgear straps too tight, try loosening them a bit and see if that will help you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

Thanks...I have been doing some adjusting to my headgear. Im dreaming again too which means REM sleep...cant remember the last time I dreamed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just keep at it, you're going to like how it feels once your body gets caught up with the sleep!

Other than the possible tight fit on the headgear, are you ok with it? If you loosen it up and find it leaks, it's possible that's not the gear for you. Don't wait too long before trying another one that may suit you better.

Can you tell if you're getting mask leaks at all currently? The hurting teeth make me wonder if you're opening your mouth during the night.
Sandy
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep it up great job, welcome to the forum, you are here joining an elite club of ......
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2014, 07:57 AM)sleepdeprivedNC Wrote: Now I am up to 7 hours. YAY ME!

Thanks for any help or words of encouragement!

Sleep Deprived in North Carolina[/size][/font]
YAY to you and congrats 7 hours in such short time is a triumph
Over tighten is not good idea, I rather have some leak (as long as not directed toward the eyes) than pain Coffee

Try different mask. Quattro FX damage my tooth and always used to wake up with tooth pain
something to do with the way the straps are deigned

I used to make mask liners but mask leaked even more
There are ready made ones, RemZzzs and pad a cheek, pad a cheek liners are washable

Edit: from - http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ac_eng.pdf

• Using a mask may cause tooth, gum or jaw soreness or aggravate an existing dental condition.
If symptoms occur, consult your physician or dentist.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2014, 10:29 AM)sleepdeprivedNC Wrote:
(08-13-2014, 09:50 AM)NickDanger Wrote: Way to go at getting up to 7 hours last night!!

Thanks!
(08-13-2014, 10:11 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi sleepdeprivedNC,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Thanks...I have been doing some adjusting to my headgear. Im dreaming again too which means REM sleep...cant remember the last time I dreamed.
Hi sleepdeprivedNC,
That's great to hear, just keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I can relate. I'm about 5 months in on treatment and still struggle with wearing it. I still check my compliance hours in the morning. Those hours count the time I'm laying awake thinking how much I don't like having this thing on my face.

I can't comment on the head and teeth pain... I had those symptoms BEFORE starting treatment and am glad to say they have mainly abated.

It took me a while during the trail but I did come to know that I feel better with it. Now I don't want to sleep without it even if I still rip it off my face in frustration from time to time.

NOT ALL MACHINES ARE THE SAME (especially as it relates to their 'smart' breathing algorithms)! I tried one that I couldn't stand during the trial and then the one i ended up with and bought. They are very different experiences (A-flex versus ERP if i recall the acromyms correctly). So if you don't like yours on the trial consider trying a different machine.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 1 3 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 235 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.